Meet "Bad" Frank.... Hatfield/McCoy drama comes to the History Channel

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Starting on Memorial Day, the History Channel will televise a 3-part mini series depicting the Appalachian feud between the Hatfields of West Virginia and the McCoys of Kentucky. The cast includes Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton and Tom Berenger among others.

The feud took place primarily in Pike County, Kentucky and Mingo County, West Virginia in the 1870's and 1880's. This is the rugged country where I grew up. My family and the McCoys were related by marriage, business and proximity. One of my clan was a character known as "Bad" Frank Phillips. How bad Frank actually was depends on whether one was associated with the McCoy clan or the Hatfields.

The feud became so fierce that the states of Kentucky and West Virginia nearly went to war with one another. National media, back at the time, began reporting on the feud and sensationalized facts to increase readership of newspapers.

Here is a video clip: Hatfields & McCoys — Meet "Bad" Frank Phillips — History.com Videos ...hopefully the mini-series gives a fair treatment to historical accuracy. The scenery should be quite good. I enjoy period pieces from this era.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I WILL be there in front of the TV for ALL the Episodes!!

From the previews alone.....it looks like it's going to be GREAT!!

Can't Wait........

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I want to watch this, I saw the ads when I was home and it looked good, hopefully it gets to Netflix soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Now thats what I call A gun controlled family. I like it. I guess they would not fit in , in todays society to say the least.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Now thats what I call A gun controlled family. I like it. I guess they would not fit in , in todays society to say the least.

Well, I think the documentary will be great and I hope to see it. But...don't you think it's a good thing that they wouldnt fit into todays society? I mean as good of a movie as it will make, it is an example of the extremes people are capable of.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Well, I think the documentary will be great and I hope to see it. But...don't you think it's a good thing that they wouldnt fit into todays society? I mean as good of a movie as it will make, it is an example of the extremes people are capable of.

Growing up in this area in the 1960's and 70's, there was still a tremendous amount of gun violence. Being geographically isolated, law enforcement was lax and usually late to arrive. It's a different mindset. The subculture of Central Appalachia continues to perplex sociologists. As I stated here on EO before, as a teenager I was forbidden by my father to cross the river into West Virginia. It's a place where grudges don't die and family allegiances matter. Our Scot-Irish ancestors brought the clan template with them. Such arrangements might have ensured survival 200 years ago, but isn't applicable to modern life. I still don't like driving through the Tug River Valley of West Virginia with Kentucky vehicle plates. Especially as a Pike Countian with my last name.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Im not sure where Pike County is, but I had an "experience" in south, central KY a while back that was none too pretty...lol. Once things settled a bit, the guy told me that both his parents had been murdered recently. It was a night to remember, for sure.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Im not sure where Pike County is, but I had an "experience" in south, central KY a while back that was none too pretty...lol. Once things settled a bit, the guy told me that both his parents had been murdered recently. It was a night to remember, for sure.

Pike County is in extreme eastern Kentucky and shares a border with Virginia and West Virginia. It's pretty remote and still witnesses way too much violence. Almost all violence in Appalachia occurs between two parties well known to each other.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I did some reading up on these families and one report reckons that it really all stemmed from the poaching of one hog!

:eek:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I did some reading up on these families and one report reckons that it really all stemmed from the poaching of one hog!

:eek:

The hog trial exacerbated an already intense dislike between the two families. Animosities from the American Civil War led to the first murder in 1865 as Asa Harmon McCoy, a Union soldier, was killed near his home by HomeGuard militia affiliated with the Hatfields.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I enjoyed it. Recorded it and have watched the first two parts a second tome already. The more you watch them again, the more you pick up about certain things.

Knowing the story well, although not likely as well as those from the area who are more intimate with it, I would imagine, I thought it stayed mostly true to historical accuracy with only a few liberties with artistic license to tell the tale. I do believe they were less sensational and more matter of fact in the retelling than the news accounts were in the day.