May 2015

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Taps is based on an 1809 French bugle call ("Tattoo"). It was used to signal lights out and go to bed. Napoleon referred to it many times as his favorite bugle call (actually played on a clarion, which is one of those really long, straight trumpets you see being played in movies to herald some king during the Medieval Times or the Renaissance). The call was used by the military up until the Civil War.

But, General Daniel Butterfield thought that that particular call was just a little too formal-sounding to end the day. So, in 1862 he decided that he would revise that bugle call to something shorter and simpler. Butterfield got his brigade bugler, a 22-year-old by the name of Oliver Wilcox Norton, to help him revise that earlier bugle call into those 24 notes that we know today as "Taps."

It was an instant hit. Nearby brigade buglers heard it and visited Norton the next day to learn the call. The call was quickly put in place by other brigades, as well as by Confederate brigades. Without there ever being a general order issued by the Army, the new call replaced the regulation call by the military. It wasn't until 1874 that the Army Regulations were changed to reflect "Butterfield's Lullaby" as the official music for funerals and end-of-life lights out.

The custom of playing taps at military funerals began in 1862 at Harrison's Landing, when Captain John C. Tidball, commander of Battery A, wanted to give a particularly outstanding corporal a burial with full military honors. But he was refused permission to fire the traditional 3 guns over the grave while on a battlefield. He decided to have Taps played, instead.

So it was Butterfield who gave us the Taps we know today, and it was Tidball's Company A that gave us the tradition of it being played at military funerals.

I know this as the son of a Navy bugler, as a former Boy Scout bugler, and as a trumpet major in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Advil liquigels. Two before a day on the rides and two after. Works every time. Even helps with our herniated disk.

Growing up in Cleveland, I've gone to Cedar Point every summer of my life - love the big coasters!
Last time, though, [skipped the nearly 20 years I lived in the south], I got off the Mantis, and swore I wouldn't do it again without a hard cervical collar, lol. Felt like my head was too wobbly for my neck - weird.
Among roller coaster nuts, Cedar Point is very highly rated, every year. Cool place! :photogenic:

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Left Laredo at 5pm Sat...drove thru from San Antonio past Dallas...rain was FIERCE...I knew tho if we stopped we wouldn't make it out of the area at all...eventually got on the front of the storm and just kept going...I feel for those who are still down there or having to go there...was not fun.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
good morning gang.....now I see the tourist attraction yesterday I passed.....water was topping the dam....water was pouring over the top as they couldn't release water fast enough....awesome sight...and kind of worrisome too...
more T-storms later today here..I suppose I should do the last 80 miles and get closer to Receiver for Tuesday...this keeps up I'll be forwarding their freight by boat....LOL

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
of course..thats why I drive a Dodge...:p
2827884798_th_groan_xlarge.jpeg

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well for what its worth for you pollywogs and scarab nubs of the land lubber clan as well as the brine of the deep. Tattoo is called 5 min before taps. then Taps then goes at 10pm. Oh yea Taps is also played a
played at military funerals.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well for what its worth for you pollywogs and scarab nubs of the land lubber clan as well as the brine of the deep. Tattoo is called 5 min before taps. then Taps then goes at 10pm. Oh yea Taps is also played a
played at military funerals.

What is this 10pm of which you speak? Does the Navy use 12 hour time?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan