Max Acceptable S/T truck age to carriers

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Continuing my education.......
What is the Max acceptable truck age for S/T by most carriers?
In recruiting "packets" that I have from several companies and from discussions with several regarding C/V, the answer is 10. Never asked the question regarding S/T. Yes....I could ask each of the carriers, and yes I know it will vary by carrier, but was just looking for a "general rule of thumb".

I also understand that truck care, and truck mileage are more a sign of how the truck will continue to operate, but I suspect carriers have some guidelines also.

Anyone want to contribute or continue to contribute to my education? thanks

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes....I could ask each of the carriers, and yes I know it will vary by carrier,

That's the answer. Many carriers, while having a rule in place, will go on a case by case basis. You may have a truck that's a year or two beyond what they've said they'll accept, but if it's in real good shape they'll make an exception.

You've been told 10 years old on a cargo van?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules

AND

What goes hand in hand with that is

There are times the truck's age is used to get rid of a contractor.

It shouldn't matter how old the truck is, if the contractor has a contract with them, it should not matter what tools are used to fulfill the needs of the customer - meaning as long as it is dependable, who cares.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with ceva you may put on a unit that is less than 5 years old
and may keep it only 7 model years

again maybe kept on a year by year bases
so the newer the better, and won't have to keep getting a new unit ever so often

guido4475

Not a Member
As a few have stated above, if a vehicle is maintained impeccably,age should not be an issue at all.All-State knows how anal I am about maintaining my trucks, to the point of excessive, and welcomed my 2003 van with open arms.I have seen the case several times when an older vehicle will and did outrun a new vehicle with absolutely no breakdowns due to proper maintenance.Then there is the case of Ontario Van Man's Sprinter.500,000 miles on it, and he still has the original alternator on it, just to name a few of the original parts on it, with extreme minimal breakdowns.Anyone who has talked to him realizes just how preventative maintenace is and it shows on how dependable his van is.I originally was going to go to Express-1, but they told me my van was too old,so I went to All-state where they have a more realistic way of thinking as far as trucks and maintenance are concerned.Too bad, so sad for them.But there are quite o few carriers out there, aminly smaller ones, who will accept an older vehicle, giving it is maintained properly while apperance is is great condition also.I have put 80,000 trouble-free miles on my van so far,so this weekend has been spent going over the van and replacing several wearable items, my choice.