Married Couple Looking to get into the Expedite Business.

LizSmiles

Active Expediter
Hi everyone! My hubby and I currently own two Fedex Home Delivery Routes. We are looking into selling them, and joining Fedex Custom Critical. This is totally new territory for us, but we truly think it is the right thing for us. The two things we love the most are spending time together and traveling......so why not get paid to do it. We have a lot of things to do before we make the change (like get our CDL's). Our goal is to be on the road in 6 months to a year. I would love any tips or advice y'all could offer us.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well the two things you love to do now you will soon hate...just kidding, I think being on the road together is a lot of fun, as long as you get along anyway. My wife and I are in a CV with 2 good size dogs and it hasn't caused any issues but it depends on the people involved. I was wondering if it is possible for you to lease the routes instead of sell just in case it hits the fan. You are in a good position being a same household team and you can do quite well as it looks like straight trucks are doing well. I am hoping to talk my wife into getting her cdl so we can do the same thing. My opinion is it is a good move but I would try to avoid selling the routes if you can.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Togetherness-has a nice ring to it. Good you are spouses and like each other-thats a plus. We started-were getting divorced 9 times a week-were down to 2-life is good ! We divide and seperate when we get home ( run!!!)

You will be fine-makes it easier that the monies go into the same pot.
Ask you're questions and the answers will come-plenty of help here, this is a good site for information.

If you have'nt been confined together for long periods of time-you can do a test run. Lock yourselves in the bathroom for 24 hours-who ever comes out-wins !! Just kidding.

Hope to see you on the road when you are ready.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
My boyfriend and I traveled together the last 9 months of his expediting gig (CV). Soon, I will ne with him in his semi. Never an issue. As has already been stated, we like each other as well as love one another. Works out great. Who knows you better?

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

LizSmiles

Active Expediter
Thank you Paullud! We were thinking about trying to keep them, but we need the funds from the sale to help us get a truck. It sounds like getting approved for a truck might be difficult since we don't have ovr experience, so we will need all the capital we can get. You have given me some food for thought though........I think I am going to look into trying to keep one of them. We also plan on taking our 2 pup luvs.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you go to Carrier Forums, you can read the posts from Fed Ex CC. See what the drivers (almost exclusively teams) are saying about their time on the road. Then if you wish you can contact the teams individually.
I remember one lady who posted she loved being with her husband all the time. "I can nag, nag all day and he can't leave":p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Spend as much time reading as possible on the forums. Send PM messages to forum members when you have a question or post the question. If the questions is about a company specific policy it is easier to send a PM to someone who drives for the company.

There are different ways to find financing and the better your credit score the better your chances are to get the financing. If you do consider running for an owner having pets could become a problem.

Good Luck in your quest and welcome to the forums.

Camper

Not a Member
It's hard enough sharing a house with most spouses. Try to imagine living together in a truck three weeks out of four. If after doing, so you haven't slammed the door shut on the idea, go for it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I are a married couple team having been on the road together for eight years, most of it with FedEx Custom Critical (we are now with Landstar Express America).

I started a daily blog about our day-to-day experiences in July, 2007. Reading it will give you a sense of the kinds of things we run into and how we deal with them; and also the joys we find in this life and work.

The time together and travel that you talk about were and continue to be two of the five reasons Diane and I are in expediting. If you jump in, you will get plenty of both.

The one thing that concerns me when reading your post is the money talk. Under-capitalization is one of the main reasons people fail in this business and you will not be immune. I don't know how much your routes are worth but if you buy a truck and come out here without a cushion, trouble may quickly find its way to you.

Driving a fleet owner's truck to start is an important option to consider. That's how Diane and I got into the business. If we had it to do over again, we would again begin in a fleet owner's truck.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As ATeam mentioned look into driving for a fleet owner, it will give you the experience to decide on making the commitment to purchase a truck. It is much cheaper and will give you some great basics on how you want to run your business, if you read some other posts you will see people don't even agree on something as simple as if wearing a company shirt is important.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Phil's post is spot on. But I will also add, that many run for a fleet long term. Many times a fleet driver will net more than a owner operator.
With that said, some of it depends on how the fleet is operated. In our case, all but one of the teams are former owner operators with the least experienced at 15 years.
Lot of things to consider, but always keep the door open when possible.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
LOL, Leezaback! I wonder who would survive : )

If we're taking bets, my money's on Leeza. :D

I would suggest following ATeam's advice, because it leaves you with an 'out' in case you don't want to stick with it, [the waiting for loads can drive some crazy], and leasing the routes would provide a cushion that adds to your comfort level - there are quite a few 'things' you will want to have in the truck besides the owner provided equipment.
Don't underestimate the value of 'been there, done that' advice - there are 3 teams with FedEx who have already responded, and you may find others in orientation and on the road - get contact info so you can ask those who actually know the answer [or know who does.]
Best of luck - if you do it, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

airplane1

Active Expediter
Just wondering what is the best expedite co. for a van-sprinter looking at the forums I have only seen three that the message boards were not negative. What is the best co. Load one, All states, Tri-state or Express one. These forums really help with alot of questions and help a newbie and spouse narrow things down. Thanks and look forward to seeing all of you on the road.

JOHN and MARSHA
Benton,ark

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering what is the best expedite co. for a van-sprinter looking at the forums I have only seen three that the message boards were not negative. What is the best co. Load one, All states, Tri-state or Express one. These forums really help with alot of questions and help a newbie and spouse narrow things down. Thanks and look forward to seeing all of you on the road.

JOHN and MARSHA
Benton,ark

That is really a question that is an opinion of the individual.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter

JOHN and MARSHA
Benton,ark

As Paul pointed out, its largely determined by personal preference. But Load One seems to be one of the best carriers for CV/sprinters but I'm not sure if they are taking on new Cv's at this time. I also think they have an experience requirement.

The best way is to research all of them and see what fits for you. What works for me, doesn't necessarily work for you.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
biggest advice............LISTEN to Davekc, ATeam, Team Caffee etc,.........they've all 'been there, done that'. Won't get any sounder advice than you will from them.
Don't let expediting fool ya. Traveling, seeing the country and getting paid for it sounds great but expediting is WORK. You don't work at it, you don't succeed. Sure, you'll 'see' the country. See places you've always wondered about and wanted to see, see them as your driving buy headed for that next pick up or delivery.
Read to blogs, can get a daily insight into what expediting is really like. Don't forget, most will give the basics on where they are, where their headed. They don't talk about the bone draining 3 day runs. When the A Team talks about being in drive/sleep mode, that's exactly what it is.......drive 10 hrs. switch drivers, 'try' to get some sleep because you'll be doing your shift in another 10 hrs. It can be a grind. Then, after the delivery you need to get some rest, good rest in a non-moving vehicle and get ready for the next load opportunity. It could come in 10 minutes or 10 hrs. Tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. Just never know.
Listen to Davekc, might want to go with a fleet owner for the first year, see if ya really like it! Keep your present routes if possible, you'll have something to fall back on if expediting isn't for you.
IF you decided to go with a fleet owner first, which I also highly recommend talk to ALOT of people. Talk to ALOT of fleet owners. There are alot of very good, honest fleet owners out there, but there are also owners that will paint the picture like a rose then when everything comes out it's totally opposite. There you are, broke, disheartened, frustrated, ready to quit. Choose your owner wisely. Very wisely!! There have been ALOT of drivers totally screwed by let's say less than honest truck owners. But like I said, there are also alot of good, honest owners also. The first owner we drove for was the best!!! He took excellent care of the truck, our pay was up to the penny every time. We'd still be with him today but he decided to sell all his straights & concentrate on his T.T.'s. Even made us the offer to go out and pick out any tractor we wanted, any, and he'd buy it for us to drive.
Think things over very carefully with 'open' eyes, not clouded by the 'see the world & get paid for it" image............
Good luck, hoping to read 1 yr. from now how much you enjoy expediting and how successful you are!! :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey Mark!! Good advise....good to see you posting , you need to do so more often....Tell Cindy I said Hi!! :)

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
sorry to get off subject.........
Doing alright Chef!!! Kicking back in Fla.............SURE do miss the road!!!!!!!! Cindy says hello...

EtowahE

Seasoned Expediter
this sounds like a good way to get "unmarried" (lol).
this work requires an awful strong marriage to start with, if there are any weaknesses in it, then this would make it worse, not every marriage would work for this job, hope yours can.