Marie Deep Cell Battery

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I have a ford E-250 and have been running an extra battery in the back for about 4 years. It now wants to 'die' after about 2 hours of using a 300 watt inverter for only about 2 hours. I assume I ruined the charge and discharge cycles this winter when I introduced a 12volt electric blanket but I guess what I am getting at is can someone suggest a brand, size or price point I should be looking at to get the best battery for the money. I only run a 300 watt inverter to power and charge a lap top, a small fan and an electric 12 volt blanket in the winter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Four years is actually pretty good for a battery that has almost certainly been routinely discharged below 50% and has been chronically undercharged.

Replace it with two just like it, and keep in mind that it takes considerably longer than an hour or two to put 80 amp hours back into a battery, more like 10-14.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I am a fan of the Optima's, there are less expensive batteries that might give just as good of life, what I like is no maintenance so would get an AGM battery in an event. Optima makes a dual propose battery that can be used for both starting and deep cycle that might be good too. Having said that, Turtle has good advice too, might just go with what you had since four years isn't a bad life, five-six would likely be max for any battery used in deep cycle service.

TS