Many Questions

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Afternoon Folks,

A quick bit of info about me: I currently run a 26,000# 24' box for an a distribution center out of Akron, Ohio delivering to company stores in PA.
I'm just beginning to give some thought to this whole owner/op expedite thing.
I think I'd like to start out with a cargo van (probably easier for me to purchase), but wanted some input to that.
For a guy that's willing to run hard and put in the time, can I really turn a worthwhile income from this?
Do most of the company's out there keep their drivers pretty busy, and who are the better ones?
Why does it seem that many of the expedited carriers require a CDL when the truck doesn't? (I currently only hold an operators license with haz-mat endorsement) Or am I reading into that wrong?
I suppose thats already a lot to ask, so hopefully I'll get a few responses. Anything you have to tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
Well, to answer your question, don't expect to pull down major $$ driving a B unit. Secondly, I don't think any of the majors will take you on without at least a class C CDL. I believe what you hold now will only let you transport hazmat in your home state, you need to be able to go interstate and only the CDL allows that. Hope that helps!

;)

lighting

Expert Expediter
if your making good money stay were you are.i run a d-unit work for a company before i got it paid by mile i made more.plus now i never get much hometime