Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tx is not getting better but worse. Loads going from .70 2 weeks ago to .50-.55 this past week. Going in a little better but not very much. Tx will not be on my list to visit until rates come back up.
You might have a long wait I,be been waiting for over 15 yrs...lol

Reactions: ajakapari

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could care less about going to Tx anymore. I might even leave this business because I'm not having fun anymore. The days of making $125k(2004) or $117k(2005) all in a cargo van will never be realized again IMO.
Darn I remember numbers like that too

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can thank me with a pm
emoji23.png
. lol.
Better yet... I can thank you publically for them good years!
And just think John .... OVM would of still found something to Whine about ....:p
oh shaddup..... Lol

350rocket

Active Expediter
Old rule of supply and demand is still king. Too many vans for the loads available. Here's my take on it:
1. Load count down due to cooling economy and manufacturers maintaining inventory better
2. Certain Expedite companies getting bigger and swallowing up more freight before it hits the load board.
3. Boards eased requirements to join, causing a flood of new bidders.
4. Bottom feeder expedite companies just keep dropping rates instead of looking for their own customers
5. GPS has made it easier for non-English speaking drivers to flood the market.
6. This is typical slow time of year.

I don't see an end to this until we start losing vans. Sad thing is, we're most likely gonna end up with lower quality drivers that work for peanuts, driving old unreliable vehicles. This industry is overdue for a revamp.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
data posted in here, it's gotta be true, lol.

Note, I could get my old paid for van out and run for 50 cents a mile as a o/o, don't really need the money to feed a family and all that goes with that. If I got back in the race, I would be one of those recreational drivers that does this for fun and travel===if I got a load fine and if I didn't fine.

See the USA in your Chevrolet ....................there u go.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Old rule of supply and demand is still king. Too many vans for the loads available. Here's my take on it:
1. Load count down due to cooling economy and manufacturers maintaining inventory better
2. Certain Expedite companies getting bigger and swallowing up more freight before it hits the load board.
3. Boards eased requirements to join, causing a flood of new bidders.
4. Bottom feeder expedite companies just keep dropping rates instead of looking for their own customers
5. GPS has made it easier for non-English speaking drivers to flood the market.
6. This is typical slow time of year.

I don't see an end to this until we start losing vans. Sad thing is, we're most likely gonna end up with lower quality drivers that work for peanuts, driving old unreliable vehicles. This industry is overdue for a revamp.

Not sure I agree with number 2. The bid boards generally sell the concept of the "market" of the boards providing a savings to the customer vs a direct carrier relationship. So if anything large carriers lost some direct accounts they had and managed to the bid board providers.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure I agree with number 2. The bid boards generally sell the concept of the "market" of the boards providing a savings to the customer vs a direct carrier relationship. So if anything large carriers lost some direct accounts they had and managed to the bid board providers.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe #2 refers to XPO. From my experience that would be true.
I think 350rocket was just trying to be coy .... I apparently don't have that filter.

Reactions: jelliott

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sadly as rates fall, insurance costs appear poised to keep climbing as more and more insurance companies are exiting the trucking market due to losses.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My experience being limited to the # of vehicles I've observed on the road ....
I travel a lot on i80 and I-76 as well as 95 both north and south and lately expedite traffic is very sparse don't know if it's just time of the day or what but it's scarce! I'm A unique truck being all black with a sleeper so maybe you may have passed me maybe not but if so howdy! I had one bite today but Panther gave it to one of their own rigs.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe to some degree on #2. The larger carriers seem to be holding on their dedicated accounts because they can provide the coverage. Or so it seems. Or, they get excess freight from truckload divisions they are associated with. XPO, Panther/ABF, FedEx and Landstar. It is all about the rate. John is correct, as insurance costs rise, so do my costs to operate and why we have to turn away bargain freight.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I could care less about going to Tx anymore. I might even leave this business because I'm not having fun anymore. The days of making $125k(2004) or $117k(2005) all in a cargo van will never be realized again IMO.

Good lord almighty! That's what some of you guys used to make? I guess id be pissed off too. Me, if I make what I do now ill be happy. 35k-40k a year. Heck even I make a little less ill be ok. As long as my bills are paid and I can manage to save a bit im good.