Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
Yes, that is part of the reason. Mostly it was because this Wisconsin State Trooper didn't think a cargo van could haul hazmat.

Yeah, well, I have absolute respect for the job that police officers do out there every day. That said, there are plenty who have proven that they really don't know the law half the time.

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
Good morning, welcome to EO and good luck.

Thank you . I just bought a tractor and signed it on with CC , on my way to Laredo after I got branded and had my C Link installed in Ohio. I'm surface expedite , the load is heavy but 1500 miles over the weekend sounded good although I'm not sure of my prospects out of north Mexico on Monday . The unit that logged in behind me is still sitting so I think I got the last drop out on Friday . I accepted the load , looked at the pick time and realized it was 140 miles away and picked up in 2 and a half hours so I think it was dropped by some one

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
It was like this last year.
It really didn't pick up until after April.
I was told that ST'S were taking a harder hit than vans.
Anyone know where the best areas are to hook a (st) load?
I would rather dead head to get moving than sit and watch TV, waiting for that ring tone that means a run.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OVM is right about how some people think making 1000 dollars for a 1500 mile run is a lot of money. I had to take a taxi the other night to go and do a sleep study at the clinic. The taxi driver said they charge 2.25 per mile. I think that is about right for a small vehicle. Cargo vans need to be making at least 2.25 per mile when you take into account fuel, maintenance, health insurance, social security insurance, personal injury insurance, Medicare insurance, unemployment insurance, and taxes. The government gives us a 50 cent per mile mileage deduction for just a car used for business. That is only to cover for fuel and maintenance expenses, let alone the cost of the vehicle. It should be double that for a tractor trailer or straight truck. So out of that 80 CPM a cargo van earns, at least fifty cents of that goes right into the fuel and maintenance. How much is left over for all of the other stuff? You're selling yourselves short. Even the fast food workers will be getting 15 dollars an hour soon and make 500 a week on 35 hours. They will have it easier than the average cargo van driver. You are working even when you are not under a load. You are on call 24/7 just like a firefighter, only firefighters make 80k a year, work only 3 24 hour shifts a week, and get generous retirement benefits. Some of us cargo van drivers must be stupid lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM is right about how some people think making 1000 dollars for a 1500 mile run is a lot of money. I had to take a taxi the other night to go and do a sleep study at the clinic. The taxi driver said they charge 2.25 per mile. I think that is about right for a small vehicle. Cargo vans need to be making at least 2.25 per mile when you take into account fuel, maintenance, health insurance, social security insurance, personal injury insurance, Medicare insurance, unemployment insurance, and taxes. The government gives us a 50 cent per mile mileage deduction for just a car used for business. That is only to cover for fuel and maintenance expenses, let alone the cost of the vehicle. It should be double that for a tractor trailer or straight truck. So out of that 80 CPM a cargo van earns, at least fifty cents of that goes right into the fuel and maintenance. How much is left over for all of the other stuff? You're selling yourselves short. Even the fast food workers will be getting 15 dollars an hour soon and make 500 a week on 35 hours. They will have it easier than the average cargo van driver. You are working even when you are not under a load. You are on call 24/7 just like a firefighter, only firefighters make 80k a year, work only 3 24 hour shifts a week, and get generous retirement benefits. Some of us cargo van drivers must be stupid lol.
we O/O all know that.....tell the carriers and brokers that...they have us by the short hairs.....They sold us down the river by way of slow death....I hope they choke on all their BS they 've been throwing us...
and please don't mention some garbage about strike....in this industry enough would never do that to be effective....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
we O/O all know that.....tell the carriers and brokers that...they have us by the short hairs.....They sold us down the river by way of slow death....I hope they choke on all their BS they 've been throwing us...
and please don't mention some garbage about strike....in this industry enough would never do that to be effective....

Would really like to be a fly on the wall either in a Recruiters Office or in orientation class to hear what is being feed to new folks either looking to get into the business or looking for a new carrier.. They have to have a new song and dance by now.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Would really like to be a fly on the wall either in a Recruiters Office or in orientation class to hear what is being feed to new folks either looking to get into the business or looking for a new carrier.. They have to have a new song and dance by now.

They have professional magicians working in orientation these days. Charts showing how 1.20 per mile in a straight truck can get you a house with a pool, new cars, and wads of cash! Then it all disappears just as fast as it appeared! lol

Reactions: Slo-Ride

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Driving these days is almost like being an indentured servant. You will have a high credit rating though after you pay off that new straight truck or sprinter van. I guess there is a silver lining to it all. Get in the business, build up your credit profile, then get a loan to start a real business like a gym! I had to take a swipe at A-Team lol.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
All in,, Who is getting anything close to $1.20? Man that's some high living and good eating..
Today's load had it panned out would have came in around $1.11 and that's counting the $2.50 for deadhead