Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Yes they do it lot and I hate that ... They just sit and wait for a cheaper bid while u are waiting for an answer!!! And to be honest when I book another load ... Later when it's been hour and they say O We Got it or whatever and I tell them BOOKED
I smile! :D feels kind of good !!!

Say no ! To cheap freight !!!!!

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I have had to turn loads back after being awarded them because there is no time for my driver to make the pick up before the shipper closes. They sit on loads for three hours sometimes. Then they act like it's my fault when I decline the award. If they would have given the load to us within the first 15 minutes, the pick up would have been made. They get that fist bid in on the load (now they have a guaranteed truck sitting there) then they let the load sit for three hours looking for a cheaper bid. Too many games being played right now.
Yes they do it lot and I hate that ... They just sit and wait for a cheaper bid while u are waiting for an answer!!! And to be honest when I book another load ... Later when it's been hour and they say O We Got it or whatever and I tell them BOOKED

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
i was thinking.....:p
example:
insurance certificate Level 1 , certificate Level 2 and so forth based on declared usage.....if caught with freight crossing a state line with wrong level, big time fine and or jail time...
"improperly insured"
also any carrier, broker caught using the wrong level by not certifying thier policy would be subject to said fines/jailtime
"IF" there was a way to standardize insurance AND enforce it all that need happen is, as they do in many states, impound the truck (with load) until proper commercial proof of insurance is produced. How fast would the shippers clean out their broker/carrier list?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the office but I am certain I see a lot of dirty dealing going on that keeps us from working steady. I really think the work is there, but when a guy shows up next to you on more then one occasion and is holding a load profile from a carrier and its more then obvious that he isn't what I think would be a so called partner carrier.
If another expeditor showed up from let's say load1 or Panther,Bolt or anyone of the other carriers that we know as expedited I can handle that. At least the work is staying with us. But when the guy shows up in a Lil yellow box truck or old broken down top kick with no stickers, or as I seen Monday night a 53ft that could barely keep his barn doors closed its a safe bet the carrier went with the cheapest bid they could get instead of using a true/ dedication expedite truck. No doubt some of these carriers are causing the down turn. I'm afraid what we are seeing now because some of the big players have failed to control their costs and are moving the freight at our expense and letting other players in the door at the partnered expense also.
If the carriers are not protecting the work we are a sinking ship.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

tknight

Veteran Expediter

I enjoy telling them no thanks or well since you made me wait 5 hrs to make up your mind the price has gone up !

Reactions: ajakapari

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the office but I am certain I see a lot of dirty dealing going on that keeps us from working steady. I really think the work is there, but when a guy shows up next to you on more then one occasion and is holding a load profile from a carrier and its more then obvious that he isn't what I think would be a so called partner carrier.
If another expeditor showed up from let's say load1 or Panther,Bolt or anyone of the other carriers that we know as expedited I can handle that. At least the work is staying with us. But when the guy shows up in a Lil yellow box truck or old broken down top kick with no stickers, or as I seen Monday night a 53ft that could barely keep his barn doors closed its a safe bet the carrier went with the cheapest bid they could get instead of using a true/ dedication expedite truck. No doubt some of these carriers are causing the down turn. I'm afraid what we are seeing now because some of the big players have failed to control their costs and are moving the freight at our expense and letting other players in the door at the partnered expense also.
If the carriers are not protecting the work we are a sinking ship.
Thats exactly a point i was trying to make....years ago carriers shot themselves in the foot in the name of competition and profit, rather then cut their own fat, they cut our rates instead...and now that is biting them in the proverbial butt....IF they had have held their ground and grown a set...maybe, maybe we wouldn't be where we are at today....

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I have had to turn loads back after being awarded them because there is no time for my driver to make the pick up before the shipper closes. They sit on loads for three hours sometimes.

I just put the onus of losing a standing bid on them by utilizing the "notes" section when I place bids. Whenever I place a bid, I subtract however long it will take me to get there from the pickup time, subtract an additional 30 minutes for life happens, and put in the notes that the remaining amount of time is how long they have to award me the load before the bid is no longer valid. Never had a single problem doing it that way.

Example: You have to pick up at 0900 and it's currently 0600. It's an hour and a half away. I put a note in the notes section that says:

"Need to know if we're awarded load by 0700 or this bid is no longer valid. Thanks!"

I actually think I get more loads that way, by lighting a fire under them, so to speak.

I once put a bid in that way at almost 4 dollars a mile, because I REALLY didn't want to take the load anyhow. I was tired and an hour from home. They called 15 minutes before my deadline and said they couldn't go that high and tried to get me to go lower. I declined. They hung up and called my dispatcher to see if they could get me to go lower. They said no. They gave it to me at 4 dollars per mile. Best rate I've ever got.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just put the onus of losing a standing bid on them by utilizing the "notes" section when I place bids. Whenever I place a bid, I subtract however long it will take me to get there from the pickup time, subtract an additional 30 minutes for life happens, and put in the notes that the remaining amount of time is how long they have to award me the load before the bid is no longer valid. Never had a single problem doing it that way.

Example: You have to pick up at 0900 and it's currently 0600. It's an hour and a half away. I put a note in the notes section that says:

"Need to know if we're awarded load by 0700 or this bid is no longer valid. Thanks!"

I actually think I get more loads that way, by lighting a fire under them, so to speak.
That could probably work in an area where there weren't so many trucks....as they wouldn't take a chance and lose ya and they get left holding the proverbial bag...but not so much where they have 500 to chose from..great thinking tho...great work..:)..IMO

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
That could probably work in an area where there weren't so many trucks....as they wouldn't take a chance and lose ya and they get left holding the proverbial bag...but not so much where they have 500 to chose from..great thinking tho...great work..:)..IMO

You should check my edit up there vanman. Added a fun story. :D

But you're right, in a place with a bunch of vans, that might not work. But in a place with 500 vans, you're probably not winning the bid anyhow, so it doesn't matter. I add the line every time and it has always worked well for me. Sometimes I don't get the load, but I also know that as of X time, I don't have to worry about being blindsided with a load I don't have time to get, so I can focus on getting other loads instead of waiting for the first one. I just use the notes to communicate whatever the situation is. If there are a ton of loads on different boards or with different 3PLs available that I've bid on, I'll say that in the notes. Example:

Notes: I've got 4 standing bids on loads with different 3PLs and only 1 truck available. Taking the first one that's awarded.

Just have to always keep in mind that WE are the commodity. If your bid is the best at the moment, then you are currently the most desireable commodity that fits their needs. Leverage that. Get paid for that. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should check my edit up there vanman. Added a fun story. :D

But you're right, in a place with a bunch of vans, that might not work. But in a place with 500 vans, you're probably not winning the bid anyhow, so it doesn't matter. I add the line every time and it has always worked well for me. Sometimes I don't get the load, but I also know that as of X time, I don't have to worry about being blindsided with a load I don't have time to get, so I can focus on getting other loads instead of waiting for the first one. I just use the notes to communicate whatever the situation is. If there are a ton of loads on different boards or with different 3PLs available that I've bid on, I'll say that in the notes. Example:

Notes: I've got 4 standing bids on loads with different 3PLs and only 1 truck available. Taking the first one that's awarded.
you are a very proactive dispatcher by the sounds of it....keep up the great work...we really do appreciate all you do...even tho we might whine and curse you at times, but its all part and parcel of what we do.....I am pretty sure you've had some rosey words about some operators as well...LOL

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I'm proactive dispatching because I'm dispatching myself too, but thanks all the same. ;) I actually think a smart driver should experience dispatching, and vice versa with a dispatcher, so that both sides understand the plight of the other. It's easy to undervalue the work of, or underestimate the difficulties faced by the other side if you've never experienced it yourself. 2 Weeks on the road should be mandatory for every dispatcher, while 2 weeks droning over bid boards dealing with operators and brokers should be mandatory for every driver. It would eliminate YEARS of frustration with each other.

That said, there is so much dishonesty in this business between carriers and drivers that something like this will never be the norm. If a driver were given the opportunity to be a dispatcher for 2 weeks, they'd see just how much different rates are than what they are often led to believe. I could never be a company dispatcher. The first time I was asked to lie for them, I'd walk out.

Again, added an edit above that you may or may not have seen after the fact. Wasn't in your quote.

Another thing that makes it more likely for a smaller, independent company to get a good price on a load is that many of the larger companies like panther have policies in place that tie their own hands in some cases. For instance, many times, larger carriers like panther will have a policy of never giving their own drivers a rate higher than their contract rate. So, even if there ARE 100 vans in the area, if all of the panther trucks have declined the load at the contract rate, instead of offering it to their own trucks at a higher rate, they'll put it on a bid board and pay someone else more than they would have to their own trucks, who probably would have taken it if given the option of a higher rate. But they do this to avoid setting a precedent for "negotiable" load prices within their own fleet. If you give your driver extra money on a load once, there is a fair likelyhood of them trying to get that arrangement more often, and before you know it, all the drivers are doing it.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Fuel up 20% in one week? Last Thursday came into OH from WV on I70 and paid $1.55, today $1.69, got to Columbus and saw as high as $1.99

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3000 miles x .65= $1,950
150 gallons of gas at 20 miles per... at say avg 1.70 a gallon is $255
$1,950 - $255 = $1,695
and fuel is wasy cheaper in some parts... maybe they are actually killin it
You forgot to figure in the cost to operate that vehicle. Not just fuel because that thing is going to break down eventually as well as getting the oil changed.

andrew sterling

Rookie Expediter
oh believe me i know... ive been doing this 4 years now... have any of you ever seen an environment like this.. and it gets better?... im trying to stay positive