Looking to drive for a company in MI

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I'm trying to drive a straight truck as a company driver out of Michigan, or somewhere close, but all I'm coming by are owner operator listings. Anyone know of a good company? I have a year of experience driving a straight truck for a guy who had a contract with a post office.

Thanks!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Janette: in expediting, there are no company drivers - we're all independent operators, leased to a carrier, [or have our own authority as a carrier].
If you have a truck that you want to lease, your best bet is to read here to determine which carriers appeal to you, then call their recruiters to ask whether they will sign you on. Good luck! :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I stand corrected - thought that had been too much of a problem [appearances of favoritism] for carriers to continue doing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you were working as a employee with a USPS contractor, stick with it because it is better.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We have a good number of company tractors and alot of trailers. We only have a limited number of company owned expedite units. I was not aware that Express-1 had any assets.

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I would still be working with him if he hadn't lost his contract with the post office. Very long story.... Took me by surprise and just a few weeks before Christmas!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If your looking to be home everynight, go around to the local courier/delivery companies

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Thanks everyone for all the info so far. I feel I have a place to start now. :)

Dakota-I'm willing to do otr.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would still be working with him if he hadn't lost his contract with the post office. Very long story.... Took me by surprise and just a few weeks before Christmas!

I understand, sorry to hear that. There are other companies out there who haul for the USPS.

Just trying to help you not get locked in to something that can be a disaster for you.

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
We have a good number of company tractors and alot of trailers. We only have a limited number of company owned expedite units. I was not aware that Express-1 had any assets.

I applied to Load1 online. *fingers crossed*

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just a thought, Janette: if you're willing to drive team [even for six months or so], it would definitely help you to learn the business of expediting, and would give you an advantage over solo applicants, too.
Good luck! :)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You should hear from our fleet management people within 24 hours of any online inquiry. They will let you know what options that we might have available for you.