Looking for some info on fed-ex cc

Shah786

Seasoned Expediter
My buddy is driving for company and they want him to take a 10cents/mile pay cut he has a D unit so he wants to approach Fed-ex cc if someone out there could help out would be really appreciated.
They offer 60/40 split and he is to carry his own insurance+plates as he is on the road usually and so he asked me to ask around . I figured this is the best place to start and he is Canadian and long distance is what he enjoys the most.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Bad time to be jumping around. I don't believe the grass is really greener in one place over another, just perhaps slightly different grass. I don't believe any Canadians are doing great right now. When you see the Americans complaining about reduced freight and rates, and then think that as Canadians we have to go back and forth, back and forth all the time due to cabotage rules, you can imagine that things are tougher for us. There doesn't happen to necessarily always *be* loads coming back into Canada once you're out there, just happening to be picking up from a reasonable distance to where you might be located at just that right time, yet you have to wait for them. Apparently it's difficult enough just to get a load, nevermind one that's going to Canada.
Just not a good time, all around.
PS Don't we all enjoy long distance the most?

Shah786

Seasoned Expediter
pjjjjj thank u i will try to have him think twice before he makes any decisions and i knew i will get good advice on this forum thanx a million

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I really would suggest he talk to a recruiter and ask to talk to a Canadian who is running as he would like to run. With the new laws in Canada and everything up in the air it just might get to be a little more profitable to be able to use the cross dock situation to his benefit. As pjjjjj has said though right now is not a good time to jump ship without a lot of research.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That's true, perhaps the future may hold more opportunities if too many Americans are unwilling to put up with our new law, if it even ends up lasting.
I definitely wouldn't put much weight in whatever a recruiter might have to say tho. Just my experience, and given credence by what I've heard from other Canadians as well. Not picking on any specific carrier, that goes for my thoughts on all recruiters in general, across the board. Their job is to recruit you, that's what they get paid, promoted, and bonused to do. Once you're recruited, it's difficult to find them to say, um, what about what you told me?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ask for numbers for a Canadian guy, pjjjj is 100% right, it is very different for a Canadian guy. You will sit more than the average person on here as you gotta wait for a Canadian load home, this can also increase your DH mileage as you may have to run further to get it. A carrier with a good DH program can be a big deal here.

These are not things specific to FX, these are things to ask any potential carrier if you are from the great white north.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
pjjjjj I said talk to the recruiter to get names of guys doing what you are doing so you could get the facts. The recruiters have names of people in your area willing to talk to other drivers.

Maybe we just have an odd recruiter but from day one here he has called to see how we are doing as time went buy we heard from him less and less as he realized we did not need him. Still though to this day when we see him he has a huge grin for us and how are we doing?

We have been through different recruiters and as far as I am concerned Mark Hodges was very honest with us and totally discouraged us to start in January and we ignored him but still went into this knowing it was a slow time. I have to believe if you listen to what a recruiter is telling you and not just what you want to hear they give out some pretty darn good advice.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
first of all is why is he paying for tags and insurance as a 60/40 driver(is he the truck owner?) this should be the truck owners resposability not his and if he payin it he needs to find a better owner(thats a couple grand a yr hes loosin) i have never heard of any driver paying these fees, fuel,tolls,work accident yes but never tags and vehicle insurance. that said is he a single or team? fed ex as a team is alright better than most as a single there average at best however that being said this would all be on the us side of the border as we dont do canada,we have also been able to up our pay per mile average since coming to fdcc in aug. of last year over our average at our previous company.the economy tho has definetly hurt were are not moving as much lately.

Last edited: