Looking for opinions on trk purchase/financing

hdl

Expert Expediter
What finance terms are generally available for new trucks?
And used trucks?

With a credit score >750 what are potential interest rates available through the dealers? My credit union doesn't have a commercial loan program as of yet but they tell me a personal loan is doable.

With monthly home obligations being around $650 and 25K to play with what would be a moderately safe trk payment for a solo driver? I'am thinking no more than $1200.

I realize 25K is a little skimpy to start with.

I've got time OTR (6mo.) and intrastate with 18 wheelers and 2.75 years in a mixer so life style is not an issue.

Fire away!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Financing through a dealer is expensive (outrageously so!), especially for first-time truck buyers. If you can get a small business loan or personal loan through a bank or credit union, you'll do far better. In general, dealers require loan applications. Bankers and Credit Unions require applications and written business plans. The better your credit and the better your plan, the better the rate. Call any dealer's in-house finance person to ask what they are lending money at now. Then shop around from there. It may be well worth your time to find a credit union that makes business loans and join it if you are able.

hdl

Expert Expediter
Thanks Ateam. My credit union has a branch in Arizona that is running a pilot program for commercial loans. They haven't started such a program in Austin though.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are currently in TX, JSC Federal Credit Union use to do commercial loans. They use to have pretty good rates, but that was some years ago. If nothing else, they should be able to direct you to a decent location.

Davekc

hdl

Expert Expediter
>If you are currently in TX, JSC Federal Credit Union use to
>do commercial loans. They use to have pretty good rates, but
>that was some years ago. If nothing else, they should be
>able to direct you to a decent location.
>Davekc

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am gona tell you like it is. A dealer is not outragious and is gona be your only decent source for your first truck. I had operated a successfull business for 15 years.

Thinking my past history would be an easy ticket. FORGET IT. The dealership was the only place that would finance a first time buyer with almost 50% down.

As for others comments heres the fact BANKS DO NOT WANT OUR BUSINESS trucks are a risk to them they do not deal in them so they cannot afford to get rid of them. They tried this 5-10 years ago and got burned bad. I know this for fact and can back up every word of it. I do not feel that I got screwed by the dealer but now that I have almost a year under my belt the banks are comming to me and want to help me refinance this truck even those that turned me down. Business is Business and I am listening.

Good luck you sound like your thinking this process thru keep asking questions.

hdl

Expert Expediter
>Thinking my past history would be an easy ticket. FORGET
>IT. The dealership was the only place that would finance a
>first time buyer with almost 50% down.

50%!!!! The books I've purchased generally stated that first time buyers may be asked to put down as much as 20%. I haven't talked to any dealership finance folks yet. Guess I need to get with them instead of a salesman and learn more about this process - if they are willing to talk.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your on the right track. Sample a variety of opinions and then seek info straight from the horse's mouth (in this case, the lenders). One person's experience will likely differ greatly from another's, since credit ratings, financial reserves, and other factors are individualized.

Note too that lending policies change over time. A company that once said they'd never finance another expediting truck, because of the great number that failed in a previous slowdown, may be right back at it now. The executives that made the decisions yesterday get promoted, move to other companies or careers, or simply change their minds in light of a change in industry conditions.

A dealer that already has a high number of repos on his lot may require a higher down payment than the very same dealer may require a year from now when the repos are no longer a problem. If the dealer has what he (she) considers to be an overstock of trucks on the lot, better terms may come available for that reason alone.

The loan rate and terms you receive have some to do with you and your credit history. They also have a whole lot to do with the lender and his (her) needs. While your truck loan is of central importance to you, it is but one item in a portfolio of loans your lender is managing. The lender's portfolio status and the lender's needs are considered behind the scenes before rates and terms are offered to you. That's why it pays to shop around. Some lenders may be ready to give you a great deal at a time when others are unable or unwilling to do so.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That is all the dealership required 20% I put down much, much more and so will you if you want to 1,200 payment unless your gona stretch it to six years (bad idea).

Go ahead and try like A team suggests, I am informing you that banks are clueless to the Expediting Industry. And also my credit score is even higher than yours and unbenounced to others advice I had over a $100K saved up and still turned down.

Banks do not forget about what did not work, the only ones who know this industry are the dealers. 8% vs 6.5% I made it work. I had a wonderfull business plan everything but could not get Senior Management to look at all of my History no Expierence in a new start up business, no loan.

Banks want a 100% guarantee on items such as this its not like a home that generally increases in value its a fast depriciating item that they cannot unload once they take it back. Give yourself a year or two after purchasing a truck and than there is a track record. A Team are Politicans maybee they have strings to pull I do not just a straight forward business person.

If there were money in lending us money don't you think that there would be a couple of banks at the Trade Show? See I am telling you we do not fit the mold for a good risk.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
try calling old republic financial acceptance corp they are a sister company to greatwest insurance they take a little different approach to lending based on your credit not nec. experience and the rates are very good , www.oldrepublicfinance.com or call greatwest and they can give you a ph.# when i get back home i will post ph.# for both sorry i dont have them w/me at this time

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Go ahead and try like A team suggests, I am informing you
>that banks are clueless to the Expediting Industry. And
>also my credit score is even higher than yours and
>unbenounced to others advice I had over a $100K saved up and
>still turned down.
>
>Banks do not forget about what did not work, the only ones
>who know this industry are the dealers. 8% vs 6.5% I made
>it work. I had a wonderfull business plan everything but
>could not get Senior Management to look at all of my History
>no Expierence in a new start up business, no loan.
>
>Banks want a 100% guarantee on items such as this its not
>like a home that generally increases in value its a fast
>depriciating item that they cannot unload once they take it
>back. Give yourself a year or two after purchasing a truck
>and than there is a track record. A Team are Politicans
>maybee they have strings to pull I do not just a straight
>forward business person.
>
>If there were money in lending us money don't you think that
>there would be a couple of banks at the Trade Show? See I
>am telling you we do not fit the mold for a good risk.

First: While we've been politically active in the past, we are truck drivers today. We pulled no strings to find a lender. Like anyone else, we shopped around until we found one that met our needs.

Second: Before we walked in the door, neither the loan officer nor her boss had ever heard of expediting. Our written business plan and the truck tour we provided in their parking lot explained it to their satisfaction. Some lenders are less concerned about knowing the expediting industry and more concerned with knowing the expediter. Those give loans on the strength of the borrower, not the industry.

Third: While many banks don't know the expediting business, some do. An accountant that does expediter tax returns may know of several. To find banks that lend money to expediters try hanging out at a truck stop to ask every expediter you see for the name of the lender that financed his (her) first-ever truck purchase.

Fourth: Fleet owners buy multiple expediting trucks. Contact a few of them and ask how they finance their trucks (be respectful of their time). One I called before writing this said he uses three banks, pitting each against the others for the best rate when he buys a truck. As a first time truck buyer and non-fleet owner, you do not have that luxury. But you can learn lender names and apply. Those lenders would be familiar with expediter trucks at least, and perhaps very familiar with the industry.

Finally: The world is a big place with numerous options and variables. Just because one person's experience played out a certain way, it does not follow that everyone else's will be the same. Broompilot knows his way and I know mine. There are no doubt many other ways that have also worked.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ateam wrote
Financing through a dealer is expensive (outrageously so!), especially for first-time truck buyers. If you can get a small business loan or personal loan through a bank or credit union, you'll do far better. In general, dealers require loan applications. Bankers and Credit Unions require applications and written business plans. The better your credit and the better your plan, the better the rate. Call any dealer's in-house finance person to ask what they are lending money at now. Then shop around from there. It may be well worth your time to find a credit union that makes business loans and join it if you are able.
====================================

For the benefit of new folks, you don't need to provide a "business plan" when making a truck purchase.
They are looking for EXPERIENCE and whether you have any, as a new person might have to pay a little higher interest and require a larger down payment.
In addition to experience, they are looking at your assets, credit score, how you will be using the truck, and employment history.
Nothing complicated and no written "business plans" will be requested unless you are doing a loan over $500,000 for a fleet.
A one page letter may be requested with the detailed application if doing a SBA loan.
At the expo, not one dealer was aware of any instances that required a first time buyer to provide a "business plan".
Just keep it simple.
Complication creates confusion.

Davekc
owner
21 years

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Another informative and entertaining post

I think that everyone has some very good points here and I want to add my opinion in.

I will write this quickly. sorry if I am repeatitive.

Business plan – yes needed. It shows your seriousness about becoming a business owner and your willingness to learn the career field that you are entering. It is not something that you put personal goals in or make it a personal statement with. It takes time to write a good and simple one and the better the plan the easier it will be to get money.

SBA – I would stay away from a SBA loan. There are many other ways that you can fund the startup cost without going through the headache. The best thing about the SBA is SCORE, check it out on the SBA.gov site and contact them for info about their programs and help.

Business loan – you need a business plan and a company to get a business loan. Figure 6 months of operating cost without money coming in (not including salaries) to be included to the loan to be safe. The nice thing about a business loan is the length of time to pay it off.

Banks/lending companies – don’t need to know about expediting, they need to know what risks are they taking. Just because the loan office knows something about it doesn’t mean a damn thing that they understand it. I am not an expert but my recent experience was not as bad as I anticipated it would be, most of the people I dealt with about a loan listened to me but more importantly read my business plan that included a small section about trucking, freight and expediting industry and how it is ancillary to the auto companies. Mind you it didn’t dominate my documentation, but it was concise and informative and which ended up being a gateway to other questions. It was put in their terms so they could understand the risks. I was even offered a loan without soliciting for it, which I thought was good.

I have more, but I am not going to bore you all with it.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I love this site mainly because its so comical. I get the magazine delivered to my house "Expediter something" which my wife says....hey that fictional reading has arrived.

A few months back we kicked around the idea of buying another truck or actually myself buying a truck and trying expediting etc. she already had a great job selling mortgages and making more money but the thought of the solitary lifestyle appealed to us.

I had 25 years in the whole trucking field, good credit and a check in hand for 68 thousand dollars, either to purchase used equipment or put a nice downpayment on new equipment. Which came from a home equity line of credit/loan. Like the other guy said a bank will laugh you out of the office and trucks are supposedly in their top 10 list of no nos right along with loans to build your own space rocket etc.

We each took time from our then regular jobs armed with our check to see what 4 companies/4 truck dealers had to offer armed with lots of sales exp ( wife) with big business deals and never laughed so hard in our lives, it was a sham. Needless to say we bought a rental property and put an old tractor on pulling containers locally, I can enjoy a hobby( being able to run and drive almost antique trucks)and not be stressed by companies offering.. well we really still dont know what they were offering.

Moral of the story is shop around get a copy of the truck paper listed only as truckpaper.com online . Stories about having lots of downpayment money like we had really dont matter cause some people are just itching to rob ya anyway regardless of what you have or dont have.

If you want to know what lenders really want its...no late payments within 24 months "lates" are the deal breakers. you can have a bad credit score just dont be late. your 750 is fantastic....most want a 660+...hey! need a mortgage??? LOL.

Dukesadog
25 yrs trucking
Jax Beach Fl.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you want to know what lenders really want its...no late payments within 24 months "lates" are the deal breakers. you can have a bad credit score just dont be late. your 750 is fantastic....most want a 660+...hey! need a mortgage??? LOL.

Dukesadog

You are correct. It is not a business plan that they are seeking.
I am sure there could be a bank out there with so many institutions that could possibly request one, but I have never read or personally heard of any such requirements. Couldn't find anyone at this years expo that has heard of it as a request either.
This topic has only come up the last two years, so several of us decided to ask both owner and dealers.
It is good to have your own business model, but it is not a requirement of most lenders.

Davekc
owner
21 years