looking for a TV for my CV

RDC

Expert Expediter
knowing there will be a lot of sitting Im looking for a TV that I can run in my van? I know they have the sat. systems now but i need to start small. What can you guys recommend and what do I need to supply the power to it?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
You should be able to buy a small 12v at any number of truckstops, WalMart, etc You can get some reasonably priced 110v LCD TV's in just about any size. TV/DVD combos are a popular way to go. Whichever way you go, an auxiliary battery will save your van battery for starting the van which will be necessary when you get a run offer.

RDC

Expert Expediter
thanks Terry. i dont know much about aux. batteries. How would you hook it up to the TV and where would you put the aux. battery?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
There are many ways to do it but here's how I have done mine.

I have two deep cycle (d-c) batteries installed in the rear of the van against the outside wall. I ran a pair of very flexible welders' cable avail from a welding supply shop such as Cee-Kay, (CK) from the van battery to the rear. I secured the cable along the van frame and came thru a hole I drilled in the floor. The hole is lined with a rubber grommet to prevent abrasion. I chose to ground thru the van battery but some folks would find a ground near the battery to use less cable.

I connected the two batteries together to effectively double the amphere hours available then I connected the neg wire from the van to one d-c battery and the pos wire from the van to a continuous duty solenoid (part# SS584) available from Carquest Auto Supply. Then another short battery cable from the solenoid to the other d-c battery.

The solenoid is now simply a switch that controls the connection between the van battery and the d-c batteries. You want to have all three batteries being charged when the van is running, but the d-c batteries isolated when the ignition is off.

At this point you need to be able to activate/close the solenoid/switch when you start the engine. So, you run a wire from a source of power that is only on when the ignition is on. I have used the power window circuit in the past, because if something goes goofy with your battery operation the fuse that blows will not interfere with the important components needed to safely drive the van.

Sources of ignition power are availbe in different places on different vans. Chevrolet and GM vans have a wire harness in the left rear cavity that is used to power rear air and/or heater. those are not usually installed on a cargo van but the harness is still there and the ignition poweed wire is easily located and tapped into. Some Ford vans have two power point wires located behind the driver's seat. These are used by conversion companies to power all the accessories in a conversion van. If there they are in a cavity in the wall and each has a cable connector on the bitter end. Perhaps a Spriner owner will chime in with a source of power for a Sprinter.

When you've identified your power source, run a wire of comparable or larger size from it to the ignition terminal on the solenoid. That's it for the battery installation. Once completed, I install a fuse block on the wall and wire every after-market electrical device to the rear batteries via the fuse block; this way you won't overload any of the manufacturer's circuitry and threaten your vehicle warrenty.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Terry, how well would that work with a 2000 watt heater or an air conditioner? Would or could I add more batteries to get at least 8 hours of use from either one?

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I drive a Kenworth T2000 and the TV space is kind of different than what I've been used to. I just purchased a "SKYWORTH" flat screen tv at Pilot. A 15" screen-- very thin and it operates on either 12 volt or 110 volt and comes with the cords for each type of powerr operation.There is a cupon in this months(July) Pilot magazine for $30 off on this particular tv set. I really like mine. A bigger picture in a smaller amount of space. OH! It also has a DVD player on the side of the tv!

Pappy

37 years OTR---Over 6 million miles!

:) :) :)

RDC

Expert Expediter
how much did it cost? its ounds pretty nice! As long as you have your vehicle running , you can run the TV cant you without running your battery dead?

Pappy

Expert Expediter
With the coupon in this months Pilot magazine, it was right around $200.00. This thing came with cords to plug it in at home or to plug it into a 12volt outlet in your vehicle. No more amps than it draws, you could probably leave it on for hours with your engine off and not even worry about weakening your battery!

Pappy :)

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Be happy to!
First of all the KW I drive in my opinion was a little miss designed for any TV. I cut 2 pcs of 3/4 inch plywood wide enough for the tv base to sit on and screwed them together. Then I used 3M spray glue and bonded some soft rubber matting( the kind used on trailer floors under huge rolls of paper) to both sides to prevent tv from slipping.
Then, using the seat belt type strap in the tv area. first I put the rubber coated plywood down---sat the tv on it and strapped both tv and plywood down.Since this tv has a type of handle on the back side, I also added a bungee strapaccross the handle and attached it to the hooks that hold the nylon strap in place.
In case you're wondering about the plywood---well , without it the tv sat too low behind the padded rail fom me to lie in the bunk and see the entire screen.
There is a website that sells the SKYWORTH tv's but they are more expensive there. This website does however sell special mounting brackets for these tv's. These brackets could easily be attached to most any sleeper wall. They swivel,tilt and take up very very little space. The only reason I did'nt get one of these is I'm not allowed to drill any holes in the truck I drive for any reason.
Check these brackets out at---I think this is right---www.truckersworld.com---they are located in Willmington,NC
If that happens to not be the right site just let me know and I'll go back and find it 4 U.

Pappy :)

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You may want to consider that in Jan or Feb 2009, all analog TV signals will no longer be available and only digatal signals will be able to be picked up. Therefore you may want to purchase a TV that is
digital capable.

Also, just my experience,Over the years I have had 4 TV Combo, TV/VCR and will never buy another one. They just did not hold up for me, others may have had good experience with them. Some shops would not work on them and some shops wanted more than the price of a new TV. Good Luck