Looking for a better carrier

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
I believe Geo is doing it locally... if you want OTR, CEVA ain't the carrier you're looking for. Nice people, the pay is good, but lots of deductions and not too many runs. I've been there...

Regarding OTR,

I am looking to operate within a 300 - 500 mile radius of South Bend, IN. That way, I would basically stay in the major freight zones and thus cutting down on potential wait time. OTR seems risky because after a delivery, one might have to deadhead to another city and wait for another load for who knows how long.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regarding OTR,

I am looking to operate within a 300 - 500 mile radius of South Bend, IN. That way, I would basically stay in the major freight zones and thus cutting down on potential wait time. OTR seems risky because after a delivery, one might have to deadhead to another city and wait for another load for who knows how long.
Usually with Ceva after you do the load you will return to home base empty.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything you guys talk about seems to be true. It has taken me time to understand the process, yet I have much more to learn. I do like working with the carrier I am with. I seen things differently at first and took things personally, when it is far from the truth. I am learning where to place myself now after a drop, not thinking it is the carrier's responsibility to get me my loads, I need to be in the right spot for them to be able to do their jobs to help me. I even like going to Laredo, it pays my bills with one run, and I usually head up towards Houston now and get out of Texas there. Starting to know all my dispatchers and they getting to know me, so yes, it does take time. I have been meeting other drivers at truck stops and feel I am getting paid fairly, with getting my fair share of miles, especially this time of season. I am very courteous at pickups and drop-offs, thanking them when I leave, does not hurt to be nice. A lot more to learn, but am starting to mark down my favorite fishing holes, as I call them. You all have a great day and hope you get that run you are looking for. I am resting in a hotel in Houston with a good week already behind me, so if they get me out today, great, but if not, will watch some football tomorrow and hope something comes my way on Monday. Go Pats, at least the ones that are healthy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything you guys talk about seems to be true. It has taken me time to understand the process, yet I have much more to learn. I do like working with the carrier I am with. I seen things differently at first and took things personally, when it is far from the truth. I am learning where to place myself now after a drop, not thinking it is the carrier's responsibility to get me my loads, I need to be in the right spot for them to be able to do their jobs to help me. I even like going to Laredo, it pays my bills with one run, and I usually head up towards Houston now and get out of Texas there. Starting to know all my dispatchers and they getting to know me, so yes, it does take time. I have been meeting other drivers at truck stops and feel I am getting paid fairly, with getting my fair share of miles, especially this time of season. I am very courteous at pickups and drop-offs, thanking them when I leave, does not hurt to be nice. A lot more to learn, but am starting to mark down my favorite fishing holes, as I call them. You all have a great day and hope you get that run you are looking for. I am resting in a hotel in Houston with a good week already behind me, so if they get me out today, great, but if not, will watch some football tomorrow and hope something comes my way on Monday. Go Pats, at least the ones that are healthy.

Very Good...you are well on your way to success.....expedite loads just don't appear magically because one is sitting in an area.....somethings needs to break or someone ran short of a specific part or something broke down....there is nothing normal about expedite nor scheduled.....it does not owe you a load.....if a shipper/logistics has a good day you are going to have a bad day....their goal is NOT ship a load where you hope they do...LOL
Your job is to place yourself in the best possible position to reach as many miles as possible should something come up....never have your back to the wall...so to speak...don't just drop and stop and go DOH, think about your position even it involves a short move to center yourself....its NOT your carriers responsibility to move you, YOU took the load to a so called bad area to begin with, you had the option to say NO, or bargain for out money so its on you to get yourself out....Best of luck...Ken aka OVM

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in a bit of irony that I've seen and heard over the years...and I have been guilty of myself....

you'll get in a situation and say my carrier should help me out with a paid move or question why they sent you there when in fact in was YOU/ME that said yes....then your dispatcher will advise you move but no move pay offered and one goes ballistic and blame the carrier for getting you there and expect compensation and to top it off you blurt out..."you can't tell me what to do I am an Owner operator you are not my boss"!! ...LOL just a thought...:)

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
in a bit of irony that I've seen and heard over the years...and I have been guilty of myself....

you'll get in a situation and say my carrier should help me out with a paid move or question why they sent you there when in fact in was YOU/ME that said yes....then your dispatcher will advise you move but no move pay offered and one goes ballistic and blame the carrier for getting you there and expect compensation and to top it off you blurt out..."you can't tell me what to do I am an Owner operator you are not my boss"!! ...LOL just a thought...:)
I have not been paid for any DH miles I aquire, whether going for a pick up or moving myself to a better position. Thrre wad nothing in discussion about DH miles. I am out here learning as much as I can, so when my wife comes out in a couple of years, and now we are a team in a van, I should know by then if my carrier is the one for us, or I need to find someone who can offer a better package. After two years out here, these questions or options should be clearer to me. Right now, just learning the trade, learning to teach yourself how to be a productive driver, I am very happy with my carrier and how they deal with me. Going to the Expo, meeting other drivers over time, and paying attention on here will help me with my choices I make in the near future.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
You should always figure your rates all miles. The truck doesn't run the DH miles on air. Rather you get paid money for DH miles or not add them in to get a true per mile rate for the load. If not you are cheating your costs and profit margin !!!

Reactions: bigdogg

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not been paid for any DH miles I aquire, whether going for a pick up or moving myself to a better position. Thrre wad nothing in discussion about DH miles. I am out here learning as much as I can, so when my wife comes out in a couple of years, and now we are a team in a van, I should know by then if my carrier is the one for us, or I need to find someone who can offer a better package. After two years out here, these questions or options should be clearer to me. Right now, just learning the trade, learning to teach yourself how to be a productive driver, I am very happy with my carrier and how they deal with me. Going to the Expo, meeting other drivers over time, and paying attention on here will help me with my choices I make in the near future.
Are you not asking for paid deadhead? I'll deadhead on my dime up to 30 miles, more than that I need gas money, they say no then I ask for a bump in my rate, if still no I turn it down.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am usually no more than 50 miles away from a pick up, so I figure that is part of the run. If I decide to move, then that is my choice, so the carrier is not responsible for any of those miles. I get paid 80 cents a mile with all tolls reimbursed, plus $25 a night, up to three nights a week towards a hotel room. I have been out for nine weeks the first time and then took a week off to insulate my van. Now I will be out for seven weeks before going home for a week for Christmas. After that, I plan on being out for at least three months at a time before going home for a week. Other carriers won't touch you until you have at least a year under your belt, so I figured this allows me to learn my trade at a decent pay with good miles, as far as I know. If I meet others that work for a carrier that pays better with better miles possible down the road, then at least they can see that I am willing to stay out and run, and not always looking to go home. This will all work itself out in time for my wife to join me. We will put what we want into storage and then live out of the van and see the country. Not looking to get rich, just a fair pay for a dedicated driver that will represent the carrier with respect. Being a newbie, I only know what my carrier is paying. They treat me well and get me decent miles that I know of. I hope to learn more at the Expo, but for now, I am just grateful to have a job and chance to learn more as I go. Like what I have read on here, some carriers offer you more money per mile, plus FSC, but you have no idea how many miles the drivers are really getting. If I can get 1500 miles or more a week, then I feel that I am doing well. Some weeks are less, but some weeks are more, so it averages out to pretty good miles from what I have heard at the truck stops.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I think you have the right plan and attitude. After a year you'll know if that carrier is for you, and more importantly you'll know what you want and don't want out of a carrier. Try and keep your unpaid miles as low as possible. That includes deadhead to a pickup, after delivery, moving to a better position, and just toolin' around town. 20% of your total odometer miles as unpaid is a good figure to shoot for, maybe a little less. Upwards of 30% and you're accepting loads with too much deadhead, or you're moving too often and too far to chase freight. If it's down around 10%, then you're either extraordinarily lucky or you're too picky.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I think you have the right plan and attitude. After a year you'll know if that carrier is for you, and more importantly you'll know what you want and don't want out of a carrier. Try and keep your unpaid miles as low as possible. That includes deadhead to a pickup, after delivery, moving to a better position, and just toolin' around town. 20% of your total odometer miles as unpaid is a good figure to shoot for, maybe a little less. Upwards of 30% and you're accepting loads with too much deadhead, or you're moving too often and too far to chase freight. If it's down around 10%, then you're either extraordinarily lucky or you're too picky.
Thanks Ragman and Turtle. This is what we want to do for our future, so I will stay positive snd keep learning. The words of encouragement really make me feel like my head is in the game, but what a difference just four months have made, and I made the comment way back about not seeing what one month could be so different from twelve months, it was just driving. Boy was I wrong. Hope to meet you guys down the road