Looking a gift Horse in the mouth

raceman

Veteran Expediter
As you all know by now, I left E1 and am running for Priority here in town. I was doing a combination of longer runs with some 100 and 200 mile runs and getting home often. I also ran bulk mail on weekends. About two weeks ago I was offered a dedicated run which ends up being about 193 miles a day in a big loop.

I start somewhere between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. and am home by 1:00 a.m. The money is is very good and I can count on it and I can enjoy the day every day and sleep in my own bed.

I am going into to week three and I think I hate it. I really do miss the long highway miles. The smell of diesel in the morning. It's like victory in the air. Oooppps! Sorry!

I run into a TST driver at a few of my drops and I know he has been doing the same thing and doing it for a while. He seems to love it. I know dedicated is what everyone says they want and I was no different but I am not sure this is for me. I miss the running.

Anybody out there done this type of thing and if so do you loose the need for speed and miles at some point? Should I give it more time to get used to? Just wondering

Raceman
OTR O/O

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Ooh ooh ooh I getta tell a story ;)

I used to run for a plant nursery. This was great job in that it was like a combination of expedited and P&D. IE you run like an expediter to an area then do a bunch of drops, then run home like an expediter, sometimes empty and sometimes after a pick or two. One of the best parts of that job was that, I was paid on the odometer. Every single mile I drove loaded or empty was paid at the same rate.

After I had been there for a while, a couple of new runs were created that could be done by a single driver, if he was fast. Part one started the week running to Idaho (from the base in BC sorry I forgot to mention that), then if you got back OK you could do a run to Oregon. This would give you some great miles and the weekend off, IF, you could pull them off. I could because I was a runner, but also because I made a deal with the consignee, that they would let me drop product any time 24/7. I loved this run, BUT! it was because there was still some variety. IE the Idaho run was in tractor trailer 90% of the time while Oregon was in a straight truck about 85%. Also the company would pull me off for "hotshot" runs periodically.

This was my favorite time with the company, because I had a steady income, and a little bit of time for a life. In fact one of the reasons I left the company was when I got pulled off the Oregon part of the run permanently.

At one point, they offered me a dedicated daily run, that would have been similar to what you are doing now. I turned it down because frankly, I would have been bored to tears running short distances like that. I would love a good, dedicated, multi day run though.

Hope that helped some....

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No way that I could handle a dedicated run. last week I ran from Boston to Rochester,then from Harrisburg back to Boston,then from Boston to Tynsboro MA,then Providence to Plymouth NH,then Plymouth to Burlington VT where I am now.. The loads from Providence to Plymouth and Burlington were musical instruments for a rock group called Jurrasic Park. Saturday night they had over 4,000 students attend the concert on a cold rainy night. First time I was ever backstage,man the groupies going after the band when the concert ended was something to see. I asked one guy"is it alwayls like this"? He said "yep all the time". Good thing I wasn't called for a random as the marijuana smoke was everywhere..:p :p

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Yep, I wondered about that. You sounded like a runner and aparently you are. I had a deal something like that back in my sales days. I think it would be great again at least for a few months. The one thing I miss is the lack of any type of a routine you can count on or plan around. The family life and my camping and fishing suffer from this life style. Anyway maybe it's just a phase and you'll get over it. Only you will know for sure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've always said unless it's going to put you into foreclosure or something similar then 90 days is the minimum to give to anything before making a major decision. Only you know if you can stand to give it the 90 day test or not however only into the third week might be cutting it a little short. My .02, YMMV.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Nothing is perfect when it comes to making a living. I thought entering this that if I ran for three weeks took one off I could find a personal life. Not-I cannot schedule anything, family makes plans and than I arrive I will not screw their plans up because I choose to do this.

If you have plans on entering this industry this is one note you may want to look over. Do not make PLANS they will always be changed, from simply getting service done on your truck, to planning an early morning fishing excursion. I find my life rolls around the truck and its freight not the other way around.

I have almost always been self employed so this is not new to me, just more demanding than I had realized.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Raceman
Your thoughts are not uncommon.
Over the years we have had many drive locally then to OTR, and then back again.
They are really two different animals.
Some like local and some like OTR
Your best bet is to find a company that does both.
At least it will give you some flexibility.
Davekc
owner
20 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Just spoke to my dispatch group and they have added two more PU and drops on my dedicated route. This jumps the pay up to an even better amount. Now at this point I am sure I can not make this same amount on the road in the current freight market. They are making it very hard not to stick with.

BroomPilot I guess your reply was meant for someone just getting in and it is good advice. The best thing about what I am now doing is that I can make plans, well not maintinance plans for my truck because the Freightliner I go to can not even do an oil change in under four hours and who knows when they will actually start. :)

Well I really appreciate everyones input. I was feeling like I was just being an a##. Dedicated run. Good money and still not happy. I have heard drivers say they miss the road. It is simply true. I like the highway and the different locations. I guess I will stick with this a while and see if this desire dwindles. If not I may have to call E1 up and beg back in.

Raceman
OTR O/O

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Give me a Dedicated Run Anyday...You Know your Hours Where your Going and You Know what Your Costs are and You Know on Payday what Size That Check is gonna be.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter Since 1997
B Unit

Robert Finney

Expert Expediter
OK. You haven't been doing it long enough to fully realize the benefits yet, but you have been doing it long enough to see that it's pretty much going to be the SSDD routine. Does that about sum it up?
The question you need to answer (and only you can) is "Why am I doing this in the first place"? Is it for excitement? Is it to see new places (or at least new places that you can see from the Interstate)? Is it to make money? Is it to make a lot of money sometimes and not so much others? Is it to make consistent money with minimal expenses? Is it to eat in the Godonlyknowswhospitinthesoup Diner one day and the Poofie-Poofie-Frenchman the next? What? Why you doin' this, Hoss?
Try this one: I am NOT a trucker, a hot dog, a cowboy, a hand, a driver, an outlaw, or any other name you care to throw. I operate a commercial vehicle for money, and that's it. I like to drive. I love to drive. It beats workin' all to hell, 'cause all I do is sit around, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and get paid for it. But having said that, the bottom-line's money.
I swore up and down I would never run dedicated, couldn't see how anybody could stand it, what with the same run all the time and all. That was 'cause I didn't know any better. Fourteen years on a dedicated run has taught me a few things about it, and here's a sampling, asked for or not:

I know the road backwards and forwards, rain or shine, winter or summer. I'm not going to run up on a "Better jump out now, Fred, while you still have time." turn that I didn’t know about and where the Skull and Crossbones sign was taken out last year by the local kids to sell for its Aluminum.
I know where the bears sit (usually).
I take a lunch right from my very own house. I know what I'm eating and it doesn't cost very much.
I have fixed expenses (for the most part, barring emergencies).
I know guys and gals that run the same thing (or at least cross the same stretch of road doin' the same thing I am at regular times) and can get an actual report that's believable about highway and traffic conditions.
I know my way 'round most any snarl.
I can actually schedule things to do when I'm not driving and expect to be able to do them (just like a real job).
The paperwork's a breeze and my log looks like a textbook example.
I make consistent money.
The money's the same week to week.
I don't worry about if I'll make enough money this week.
Money comes in on a regular basis.

There's actually some other things I can think of, but let me ask you this: Have you ever had excitement in a truck? I have. Say...coming down the Mohawk trail out of Albany and hoping that maybe (Oh God, please don't let me die out here tonight) I'll be able to stop 'er or run 'er off the side (or something…anything) before I cross the intersection at the bottom and hit that cliff face with 78,000 lbs. immediately behind me. Or say...hauling a 53,000 lb single coil that flat out crushes the wood and decides to move about a foot and a half, but waits to do it in a turn. Ever turn a truck around on the Interstate in snow? I don't mean 180, either. Grossin' 83 comin' out of Rochester down 79 loaded with cabbage is not the time to experiment with that.

So. Is running dedicated boring? Can be. But I'll take boring in a commercial vehicle any day of the week, thank you; I've seen the exciting stuff.

Hope this helps to at least let you think about it in a different light. Still doesn't mean you'll be able to do it. Don't miss a day in fourteen years and then tell me what you think.

finney

PS I did my 4500 dedicated run (that I can actually account for) across the PA Pike the 21st of March this year. Started drivin' for hire in 74.

PPS Did I mention a consistent money stream?

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I USED TO GET TIRED OF THE VIEW OUT MY WINDOW ON MY 1.5 HOUR COMMUTE TO WORK. SAME ROAD EVERY DAY FOR 14 YEARS?, NO THANKS. I COMMEND YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION, BUT GIVE ME THE OPEN ROAD ANYDAY.

Robert Finney

Expert Expediter
Not every day; five days a week, weekend off. Three paid a year with 11 Holidays.
The real question is: Why do I want to quit this for expediting in a B unit?

finney

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Robert,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your input with examples. Your points are not only well taken but all very true. You are right and I never looked at it with all your points. I think I will keep my mouth shut and enjoy this while it lasts. I do it six days a week and it is good consistant money and it has allowed me to devote some time to keeeping my truck looking good and loose weight because I am not snaking in truck stops.

Glad you took the time to share your experience. It makes a big difference as I look at why I am actually now doing this. In the past my goal was very different. Now that I am down to just me and my truck, I am doing my way. Thanks again. I gotta head out as I start in about an hour and I dont want to be late. I want to get home in time to watch a movie with my girlfreind and then in the morning take my 16 year old daughter to get her license. Hmmmmm? Could not do any of that from the road.

Raceman
OTR O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
in the morning take my 16 year old daughter to get her license.
>Raceman
>OTR O/O

You know that well known saying "I just saved a bundle on my car insurance"? Well, you might as well forget it. :+

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
LDB, I have three adult children that I put in cars at 16 and God do I have some stories. I have been lucky as each of them has been a great student so I have had that discount and they have all got in to something that showed they were very mature and responsible so I got those discounts. Well the bottom line is I think those discounts on only smoke up the dress. Cuz I could have retired on the insurance money I have spent over the years. Ha Ha LoL :)

Raceman
OTR O/O