Local traffic radio reports

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I think it would be helpful if drivers listed radio stations to go to for traffic reports approaching large cities . Just seeking stations on the radio doesn't work . I've been in rhe Midwest and picked up AM stations from Denver to Boston . Anyway , in Nashville , 650 am gives frequent reports .

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
xm has just about every major city 24/7 sirius has a lot of them 2.i still find channel 19 the most up to date when the info is factual.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For Houston it's KTRH 740am with traffic and weather every 10 minutes. Drawbacks are they've cut back from every 6 minutes to every 10 and they also don't give as much coverage of Beltway 8 as I think they should. It's still the most reliable to hit though since it's every 10 minutes not just whenever they throw it in.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in hampton roads area 97.3 eagle gives a good traffic report
from 6am to 9am and from 3pm to 6pm and every 20 min's in rush hour
and if something happens major during the day they tell ya about it

if you travel in nj or cut through it alot nj 101.5 has a great traffic report every 15 mins all day long and is a great station for talk radio to

if someone had time take truck stop guide here on eo and make a
column for radio stations with good traffic reports
or send them in maybe staff could add them in

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
That's a good idea Geo, I'll bring that up, and see how we could do that.

Dreamer

raceman

Veteran Expediter
There is a list of radio stations in the front part of a truckers Atlas and usally any one of the Clear Channel stations can be picked up best in that city. XM is the best I have found but I stick to my guns and say use the CB as it is real time. Most radio reports are not real time as a big portion of that info gets to you the listener after the fact. In some cases you hear about only to find it is gone and cleaned up. I just had a great CB experience coming out of Chicago last week on 65. There had been a semi jack knive at the 160 and I knew of it 45 minutes beofre I even got near it. I knew which lane to be in and when and that it was not worth going around since I was southbound. However it was also made clear to north bounders how to get around it. I later told others of it well south of there and they were able to adjust there routes with out lost time. Well they should have been I have no idea if they did or not. CB 19 keep on low tune it back until something kind of catches your ear. It saves me all the time. Just get past all the crap and use it properly there si nothing better in my opinion.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

DMWJEFF

Expert Expediter
In Nashville,TN. Oldies 96.3 has traffic every 10 min. during morning & evening rush hour and every 20 min. throughout the day.

pendiehouse

Expert Expediter
In Detroit WWJ 950AM has traffic every 10 minutes also WJR 760 AM during drive times. Both have choppers in the air.