local routes

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does any one know anything about - Prestige delivery systems? Can you make any money on a local route doing 200 miles a day,driving a ford transit@26 miles per gallon? Set pay of 150. Ive done the math but still seems scary. They always have a add on craigslist. Seem if it were a good gig it would be hard to get on with them. The local route sounds good 5 days a week,home every night. Is there anyone on here that does this type of route?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does any one know anything about - Prestige delivery systems? Can you make any money on a local route doing 200 miles a day,driving a ford transit@26 miles per gallon? Set pay of 150. Ive done the math but still seems scary. They always have a add on craigslist. Seem if it were a good gig it would be hard to get on with them. The local route sounds good 5 days a week,home every night. Is there anyone on here that does this type of route?

Sounds more like a courier service than expediting.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They have a courier and a expedite division, that route seems like a fast way to the poor house

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
that route seems like a fast way to the poor house

It is. I speak from experience. Not so much Prestige's fault, just the cutthroat competition. I literally spent HALF my daily pay on fuel.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I think Prestige won the bid for the Omni routes a few years ago. It is courier routes. I think it was small medical stuff. I/we did not win the bid when it came around for a reason. That's a market a true expediter would not care for, in my opinion. It's the complete opposite of almost everything you know.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
$150/day...200 miles/day?

$750/wk....1000 miles/week?

I wouldn't even consider it. Double the mileage pay and you "might" survive. Remember...you've got a van, fuel and other operating expenses to pay for.

JetAgeHobo

Rookie Expediter
Sounds like courier work, which I'm doing right now, GMC 2500 cargo van. Courier work should always be per stop pay basis, or a percentage of freight, plus FSC. Right now I'm doing a combination of the two, half day is doing a delivery route, flat $15 per stop, rest is X percent of freight, plus various surcharges. A lot of the stuff I could do with my Prius (don't make fun) like envelopes, etc, but a few times a day I get skids, and the customer pays dearly for that.

Was doing a delivery route for a major nationwide office supply company, depending on how much/how heavy usually about $130 to $160 a day, about 100 miles per day. Because of the traffic type and being loaded to max GVW normally, fuel economy down to 13mpg. Current courier job lighter weights and more open road, fuel econ more like 16mpg. The higher fuel economy of your van should help, but I would not do a fixed pay per day route. Piecee/per stop/miles traveled only.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I know someone who does. I'll tell ya the positives and negatives as best as I know them.

He does quite well, but be ready to put in some time. He's working from 6AM-6PM 5 days a week. He makes $800 on his route, and other work sometimes adds some more. He's made as much as $1500, but is usually around $1,000. That's basically a $16.50/hour job before fuel.

He delivers mainly books from Amazon. I googled Prestige after he told me and the reviews (from customers, not drivers) are almost all terrible. It's not the drivers fault in most cases, but that doesn't change that once ya finally get them their package, a lot of people aren't going to be very happy w/ ya.

When ya deliver to a residence, it's pretty much an in/out thing if they're home. If they're not, you have to go back. I don't recall if you get paid again or not. Going to office buildings and such can be a royal PITA. Depending on what city you're in, you've got to find a place to park, then maybe go up 25 floors on an elevator, and so on. You might end up being at the office building for more time than it took you to drive there. The same applies to hospitals if you have to go to a place like that.

You've got to load your own van every morning. You've also got to go to there warehouse every morning. So if you don't live close, you've got to factor in those miles too.

He's pretty happy w/ things. I called them to see what they were about because he was so gung ho on em. What I found was all the good routes seem to be taken by happy drivers. They had routes available, but nothing near as good as what he had going on. As a new person you're going to come in on the bottom of the totem pole. If a good route opens up, a driver on a bad route is going to grab it more often than not.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not familiar with Prestige but I run a local/regional opperation in western New York state and cover a 500 mile radius. To suceed in that market
1 Be ready willing and able to offer and deliver a service or product others cant or wont provide.
2 You must own the customer.
3 Be willing to work for every penny.

PM me if you want some tips.
Bob Wolf.