Load Documents

michsprinter

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting companies are legally obligated to provide load related documents to their contractors that transport freight for them. Does anyone know, not think, but know, what specific documents and/or data the expediting company is legally obligated to provide to the contractor if the contractor requests the information?

:confused:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Expediting companies are legally obligated to provide load related documents to their contractors that transport freight for them. Does anyone know, not think, but know, what specific documents and/or data the expediting company is legally obligated to provide to the contractor if the contractor requests the information?

:confused:

If your referring to when the loads picked up, the only paper work you need is a shipping order from the shipper with the shippers info, your company and whether it's prepaid or collect. If it's hazardous then you need the hazard info and shipping order along with an MSDS of course that's if it's Reportable quantity. When you deliver the load and the receiver signs the bill your required to send the slip that says "Shipping Order" back to your company and the receiver get the memorandum copy. A lot of company's won't pay the bill w/out the shipping order and shipping number.
You should also be making a copy for your records.

I guess I should have put Bill of Lading instead of shipping orders. Some don't know that's the same thing.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The actual bill of lading on a load if that is what you are refering to.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You used the term load related, do you mean documents for transporting or a rate confirmation?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

michsprinter

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I need to reword my question -

Upon the completion of transit of expedited freight by a contractor there may be occasion where an expediter company contractor has a need or desire to be provided trip related documents that would specify trip related costs to the customer, as negotiated by the expediting company and charged to the customer, such as, but not limited to (1) the cost per mile for deadhead miles, (2) the cost per mile for loaded miles, (3) fuel surcharge rates charged to the customer, (4) compensation for incurred tolls, (5) compensation for detention, (6) compensation for additional stops, and (7) compensation for other incidentals, such as hand loading or unloading and misc., and/or other tariff information.

Expediting companies are legally obligated to provide certain load related documents to their contractors that transport freight for them.

One purpose of the contractor having access to these documents would be to compare the amounts charged to the customer against the amounts paid to the contractor by the expediting company, insuring the integrity of the relationship of the expediting company with the contractor.

Does anyone know, not think, but know, what specific documents and/or data the expediting company is legally obligated to provide to the contractor if the contractor requests the information?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Expediting companies are legally obligated to provide certain load related documents to their contractors that transport freight for them.

Yes they are, but they are not obligated to retain you if you ask to see the documents.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Robert's Express allowed Contractor's access to such Information any time it was requested. That was many moon's ago.

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
MICHSPRINTER, you are asking two different questions. 1 BOL bill of lading is a federally required document that has shipper w/ address, consignee w/ address, description of freight to include how many, what it is, and its weight, and who is hauling it. 2 SETTLEMENT SHEET, if you work on a percentage, a financial document from who pays you, to include contracted rate, rate to truck or driver, and any incidentals such as dead head, detention and such. 3 CHECK STUB if you work by the hour or drive by the mile, rate of pay, miles driven, dead head and any other incidentals.

Sounds like you think you are being cheated, if your employer wont share the info you want if you are a percentage driver I would move on...they have nothing to gain by keeping the info from you, if you are an hourly/miles driver its nunya business with the exception of miles and money

number 1 and 2 are federal law, and yes I may have missed some fine print but Im sure you get the jest.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They're required to show you the customer's line haul bill, what the paying customer is charged. That customer could be the shipper or the consignee, or some 3pl, or it could be an in-house brokerage that sold the load to the carrier.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
They're required to show you the customer's line haul bill, what the paying customer is charged. That customer could be the shipper or the consignee, or some 3pl, or it could be an in-house brokerage that sold the load to the carrier.

This applies only if you are a percentage based contractor !!!!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My paperwork is real simple, but then I'm paid by the mile so there's not a lot of complication. I get a bill of lading showing where I picked up, where it's going, number of pieces and weight, and what type of freight it is. If it's a third-party type then I'll know who the charge customer is, too. I know how many miles are being paid before I start rolling. The outfit I drive for is a good one this way, the miles listed is either spot-on, or usually a bit over actual loaded miles driven.

So-- the bill of lading, and if there's any haz-mat there should be something indicating what it is and the emergency response numbers.