Lift Gate Safety

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's come up in a number of threads, and again recently, that use of a liftgate can be unsafe to drivers and freight. While it is certainly true that liftgate use can be dangerous, it is also true that liftgate use can be safe if precautions are taken.

As with any tool (including trucks), a liftgate can be operated in a safe or unsafe manner. Actions that increase liftgate safety include:

1. Purchase high-quality, reliable equipment.

2. Include cart stops on the liftgate; devices that pop up from the lift gate surface that help keep items rolling off the the end.

3. Purchase a self-leveling lift gate that keeps the load level.

4. Purchase a large-platform liftgate that gives you room to work on the gate with freight on it too.

5. Do not allow anyone but yourself or your co-driver to operate the liftgate.

6. Know the weight of your freight and liftgate capacity. Do not overload. Over-buy capacity when purchasing a lift gate. If your carrier requires 2,500 lbs capacity, buy 3,000 or more.

7. With items that are top-heavy, like tall computer server cabinets worth $1,000,000, rig a "seat belt" of sorts to prevent the item from tipping or rolling off the end. Hook a ratchet strap into your E-track at the rear and on both sides of your truck. Run it outside the truck to the end of the liftgate. Then use it like a seat belt around the item to keep the item upright and on the gate. You might even invest in a hand winch. Secure it to a load bar inside the truck and run a strap around the item. Push the item out of the truck onto the gate, while your co-driver controls the exit by winching out slack bit by bit.

8. Never attempt to put a piece of freight in motion that is beyond your ability to control once it starts moving. Recruit extra help to put more hands on risky freight or have dispatch send you some.

9. Maintain the liftgate as per manufacturer's instructions.

10. Read the liftgate operator's manual and follow the directions. Pay special attention to the safety warnings.

11. If you have an audience, take a moment to instruct all observers on what is about to happen and that they should keep their distance.

12. Work our communications and routines with your co-driver, such as the one on the switch never runs the gate without getting a "ready" signal from the other.

13. Purchase a liftgate with a remote control that can be operated while standing on the gate or on the ground, whichever is better in the current circumstances.

14. Before runing the liftgate loaded, run it empty through its full range as a "pre-trip" and to verify that it will provide a good landing area for the freight that will be rolled off it.

15. Before putting freight on the gate, put the right kind of wheels or devices under or on it for safe handling. For example, don't rely on the little tiny wheels some computer cabinets have. Strap that sucker to a high-quality tripod appliance cart. Use the cart's wheels and handles to better control the item. Use a Johnson bar to put a pallet jack, tripod dollies, or platform dollies under the item.

16. Buy a Forearm Forklift and use it to better control the freight, or invent another way to use straps to create loops on the outside of difficult items that make them easier to control.

17. If you are unloading curbside on a busy street at night in the in Manhattan (true story), use safety cones to block the lane and create safe space in which to work. Wear reflective safety vests. Use truck flashers and safety lights to mark off the edges of the liftgate.

18. If it is raining, cover the freight with a waterproof tarp and wrap the tarp securely around the freight like you would a furniture pad or shrink wrap. Secure the tarp with large rubber bands used by household goods movers. Knowing the freight will stay dry allows you to take the time you need for cautious use of the gate. Put on high-quality rain gear to keep yourself dry (fits well, actually works) and take all the time you need to be safe working in the rain.

19. If you are spec'ing out a new truck with a liftgate, tell your vendors that you want the truck body floor, crash plate, sill, and liftgate to form a uniformly flat surface so freight will roll easily in and out of the truck. Avoid humps, ridges and dips to the extent possible.

20. If you are in a hurry to get a lift-gate load off your truck, take that as a signal that something is wrong. Cease work and do not resume until you have figured out where the distracting stress is coming from. If your mind is on anything other than the liftgate load you are dealing with, your mind is improperly focused, actually it is dangerously out of focus. If you are on or around a liftgate load, keep your mind in the liftgate zone.

21. If you find yourself exerting a lot of physical strength when loading or unloading a lift gate load, take that as a sign that something is wrong. Cease work and figure out another way; get help or think about tools or rigging that can be used to make the job easier and safer. If a shipper or consignee is pressuring you to move faster, be willing to call dispatch and ask to be taken off the load. Stick to your guns. Safety takes priority!

22. Keep an escape plan in mind. Anticipate how the item may go out of control and where it may fall. Be prepared to run or jump out of the way to keep from getting hurt yourself. Don't sacrifice yourself for the freight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An excellent post although I wonder about that number 10. Next you'll be suggesting looking at a map and/or asking for directions. :+

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Ateam a GREAT POST,I know everyone will learn alot from it.The things you stated are right on.Anytime you are having to handle any type of frieght with or without a lift,Anytime you rush things thats when things will mess up and someone may get hurt.Always know your limits and the limits of the tools and equiptment your working with.Many thanks for bringing this up so others may keep safe and not damage the loads...

Tec1959...

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Wonder what is the financial reward vs risk for all of this? Lets see damage a One MILLION dollar piece of equipment and see your insurance co. DO WHAT? EVER HEARD of CANCELED.

I realize we want to all be professionals but being completely responsible as the customer watches you accidently damage their equipment because they want it in RUSH and want you to assume all liability hmmm makes alot of sense to me for the same kind of load that I can deliver for oh lets say $200 less.

Way Way Way too much exposure. Some may dissagree, OK I understand and so will you when an accident happens due the Consigninee's neglegance because of a terrible unloading situiation. Like a uneven surface, doors to narrow, ice, water, what ever.

People we are in business to delvier freight, sometimes risk vs reward is too dangerious. Two people for a million dollar in one piece of equipment way to much risk for unless we are talking thousands to the truck not hundreds. I have a very good friend that moves homeowners, the claims against him are unbelieveable. For the most part it was already damaged before he put it in his truck. Making a point home owners vs business owners they will take advantage of any opportunity they can and at our expense.

I truley love taking extra care of a customers freight, but their are circumstances way beyond ones control that you would be liable for and a liftgate is an accident waiting to happen,even taking ones caution. One accident and you could just be out of business. What if the someone left a small rock on the tile floor that the wheels cought and tip their she goes. (had this happen with a piece of torn card board luckily it did not tip but it sure stopped on a dime and no one saw it even the look out people. But I was responsible right?

I ask is it worth the risk to put your family, and income stream at risk for so little reward. Most of us do have families to support. Some do not but most of us still do.

One question I would like answered how much extra does this risk actually pay? Maybee I am completely wrong but the answer will prove it one way or the other.

I will wait for an answer....

I only post this to caution others leave some profits on the table Do what you do best and leave what you do not do daily to those that do. For those of you that do this daily my hats off to you, most of do not and thats where it gets dangerious and I feel the post is misleading. That is why it is called professionals one does something day in and day out for a living not just once and while. Its not the operation of the liftgage but the liablilty one is assuming.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Alot of good information.
As mentioned, exposure is extremely high and doesn't corrospond to the rates.
The other sale is that you get more loads. Maybe. You lose as many as you gain because alot of plants won't load a truck with a gate.
The other scenerio not addressed is the failure of the liftgate.
We seen a driver go off the dock because of a gate malfunction. Thankfully, he was ok, just banged up alittle. It could have been more serious.
The driver said the pallet wasn't too heavy for the liftgate.
Not sure, but it didn't appear to be. It just collapsed at the pins.
Not that uncommon.
When looking a local delivery trucks, these things break all the time.
Someone had a great concept of using them just for a back porch on the truck. Ideal for a cookout. There should be another safety number for cleaning grease from the grill.
So I agree, they do have a useful purpose.

Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well I will put it as simply as I can without 22 bullets. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS and work within them. Only handle the freight when you KNOW you can do it safely,if you THINK you can do it thats a no-no.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>One question I would like answered how much extra does this
>risk actually pay? Maybee I am completely wrong but the
>answer will prove it one way or the other.
>
>I will wait for an answer....

Sometimes the liftgate premium on a particular load is as little as $50. Liftgate loads are not about the premium. They are about getting loads you otherwise would not have. Our second-best load ever was a lift-gate load. It paid over $5,000 for that coast-to-coast run. In that particular case, no liftgate, no $5,000 run. More common is the one-day lift gate load that might pay $500. That might be the difference between a $500 day and a $0 day.

The risk is not that great as you color it to be, if you take time to be smart and safe in your work. Truck drivers of all stripes successfully move multi-million dollar loads around the country and in and out of buildings every day.

Trucking is a big industry in which many right fits can be found. If you don't want to take the risks associated with high-value freight, don't work for a carrier that ships it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You could have also lost the $5,000 load if it was going in to one of the union plants. Kinda goes both ways. So why have it?

With regards to risks, they are the number one cause of workplace injuries. It isn't driving the truck, it is loading and unloading.
That is according to the federal government as the most claims filed by an industry.
I am not sure of all the criteria that they used to arrive at that information.
But not something to take too lightly.

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>You could have also lost the $5,000 load if it was going in
>to one of the union plants. Kinda goes both ways. So why
>have it?

The union plant point has been made before. Our experience is we've been in D-unit liftgate-equipped trucks for nearly two years. We've picked up and delivered in numerous union and non-union automotive plants where the liftgate prevented the dock locks from being used. No one at any plant has ever made an issue of it. I presume, based on your comments, that there are plants out there that prohibit liftgate-equipped trucks. We never see them because our carrier knows to not send liftgate trucks to such plants.

We prefer a liftgate because it does not go both ways. It goes in favor of a liftgate; at least with our carrier that has a lot of liftgate loads. Automotive loads from union plants pay low compared to the high-value and special-care freight liftgate loads often entail. We've hauled both kinds of freight for nearly two years. Our numbers led us to this conclusion. Experience with other carriers may of course be different since freight types vary among carriers.

This is a case, I believe, where we're both right, based on our respective experience.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This is a case, I believe, where we're both right, based on our respective experience.

====================================

For this situation I would agree.
It is important that people see and acknowledge that there are different prospectives to alot of what we do.
Sometimes it is not necessarily what is exactly right,
but what is working and right for you.

Davekc

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I stepped into a Bees nest when I also argued Hazmat Loads with no extra pay. I will explaine this very simple.

I have no Lift Gate
I no longer haul Hazmat

I am doing better than most......

I stay pretty darn busy.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had a moonligt job on weekends back in my dispatch days. I would haul flowers and plants to garden centers. The loads would be on rolling racks and worth about $500 per rack. The truck was equipped with a power lift gate and every unload was an experience to remember. I never dumped a rack but I sure don't know why. Nearly took a header off the thing a few times too. If it was my equipment, it would have been better but I still don't think it was worth the risk. I'm with you on the lift gate and the hazmat. I've had 2 hazmat loads in 2 years. Not worth the investment needed today.

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Interesting

I hauled for a nursery for two years full time and had the opposite experience. In fact, I had places where I could choose to use the gate, or a dock and often chose to use the gate. Many many times I had two 1000# carts on my gate with no problems at all. I enjoyed the work because it gave me an opportunity to get out of the truck and do some physical work. As always though my experience was not everyone elses. Many of our guys quit after having too many gate loads.

YMMV but I would definitely have a gate on my truck.

Edited to add
Great post ATeam, some of these things should be second nature, but are often forgotten.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
This was not my truck. The gate did not come all the way down level. Those tall carts just took off. Lucky one didn't tip over. I really liked the exercise.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Rolling carts or items on a liftgate would seem alittle unsafe.

I would see why many would quit.

You are lucky you didn't get hurt.

As an owner, I think there is too much exposure nowadays having folks out the doing this on a daily or regular basis.
Local companies do this everyday, but it would make me nervous.

Your local experience is likely much different than what the WG or SS people do.

Just my penny in the pond

Davekc
owner
21 years

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Well most of our lifts were tuck unders that were like a ramp when down. The most important thing though was that they did have a flip up stop on them. I don't think it WAS luck that I wasn't hurt. I think it was more my safety oriented attitude than luck. As I said though YMMV.