Liberal News' Biases and Double Standards.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More left wing 'journalistic' hackery exposed--
From article:
'A fellow journalist forwarded me a Washington Post article by a woman named Alyssa Rosenberg, and pointed out that it serves as a textbook example of the phenomena discussed in “Stonewalled.” Indeed, it does. And it deserves a serious Fact Check.

Rosenberg’s error-riddled article attempted a number of propaganda tactics I describe in the book. In doing so, she failed to follow the most basic tenets of journalism as taught to beginning college students.'

Fact Check: Washington Post?s Alyssa Rosenberg?s Errors | Sharyl Attkisson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...williams-and-journalisms-action-hero-problem/

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The math is easy; average WI teacher's salary + benefits = $76,264.

Nine year veteran WI trooper wages (based on a 40-hr week) = $42,120.

Now what's wrong with that picture:confused:

Teachers are really nothing more than glorified baby sitters. They should cut their pay level down to what you could hire a neighborhood teen to do the job for. They normally have the kids for about 7 hours a day, 5 days a week and you might be able to hire a baby sitter for $3-4/hour but we will split it and say $3.50. So $3.50/hr X 35 hours per week is $122.50 per week. Of course those lazy teachers only work about 6 months so $122.50 X 26 weeks is $3185. Then we just multiply that by 25 students and we get $79,625. Oh, wait....

Well of course we should stand firm on our beliefs and pull the kids out of school anyway. Now we just need to find qualified people to teach our kids. It's going to be much more expensive but it will be worth it. :rolleyes:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It's a sad commentary on the current state of our economy that govt workers - who are almost as secure as tenured teachers - get paid higher salaries and benefits than private sector employees. Of course these private sector companies have to pay their employees from their profits that are hopefully high enough to keep them in business. Government doesn't have to make a profit - they just take other people's money.

What sectors are you referring to? I can tell you my brother makes WAY more in the private sector than he did the Marines.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What sectors are you referring to? I can tell you my brother makes WAY more in the private sector than he did the Marines.
I was referring to the averages mentioned in the articles about WI. It's obvious that when private businesses are allowed to grow and prosper they can create more jobs and pay better salaries and benefits.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was referring to the averages mentioned in the articles about WI. It's obvious that when private businesses are allowed to grow and prosper they can create more jobs and pay better salaries and benefits.

It's "obvious" to whom? Because jobs aren't created out of the desire to provide work, they're created by demand for a product or service, and nothing else.
Demand is created by people with discretionary income.
Discretionary income is in short supply among the majority of working class people, and has been for decades. That's what 'income inequality' is about: wages are artificially kept low, while compensation for the top echelon has risen exponentially, along with profits.
Tax cuts haven't resulted in higher pay for workers, [despite higher productivity and profits], because the beneficiaries aren't passing the money along, they're keeping it. They may share some with stockholders, but not with the workers who make the products and perform the services. "Labor" and "workers" are almost dirty words in their view, deserving of as little as can be gotten away with.
Time and time again, most businesses have proven that they could offer better pay & benefits, but choose not to. If there's anything preventing business from growing, it's their own short sighted stupidity, no matter how much they blame it on something else.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So what's the solution? It's common enough throughout the media to hear the awful big business mantra but there's never a solution to go along with it. So what's the solution?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Income inequality is a laughable leftist rallying cry much like global warming or climate change. It just makes them feel good to talk up a manufactured issue. Individual human beings have varying talents, energy, drive, ambition and success. Accordingly, incomes will vary widely across the human spectrum. Achieving equal incomes would make any good Marxist proud.

Demand isn't driven by discretionary income alone. Demand for necessities has nothing to do with discretionary spending at all. Discretionary spending relates to the pursuit of nonessential items such as yachts, second homes, vacations, hobbies, alcohol, tobacco, tattoos, candy, contributions to charity... the list is endless.

Demand is most heavily influenced by price. More particularly, demand for any given service or commodity changes at different price points.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Income inequality is a laughable leftist rallying cry much like global warming or climate change. It just makes them feel good to talk up a manufactured issue. Individual human beings have varying talents, energy, drive, ambition and success. Accordingly, incomes will vary widely across the human spectrum. Achieving equal incomes would make any good Marxist proud.

Demand isn't driven by discretionary income alone. Demand for necessities has nothing to do with discretionary spending at all. Discretionary spending relates to the pursuit of nonessential items such as yachts, second homes, vacations, hobbies, alcohol, tobacco, tattoos, candy, contributions to charity... the list is endless.

Demand is most heavily influenced by price. More particularly, demand for any given service or commodity changes at different price points.

Income inequality is not, despite your misconception, about making incomes equal. It's about making the gains equal, ie: when profits rise, everyone benefits. That hasn't been the case for a long time, because profits rise, but the gains accrue solely to those at the top.
Discretionary income, by definition, excludes necessities, so I can't figure out what you're getting at with that one. Demand is influenced by price for some things, but others, not at all. The primary driver of demand is available money to spend: discretionary income. That's why tax cuts to working people is money that gets spent, [usually immediately], while tax cuts to business gets stashed in [usually offshore] bank accounts, or divided among shareholders. The first example helps the economy, the second does not.
The issue is 'manufactured' only in the blind view of those who refuse to acknowledge facts, and if they continue to deny it, it's going to get very ugly. As Ferguson showed, people will put up with so much, and then they revolt.
When WalMart decides to issue press releases about giving raises to their lowest paid employees [the ones who need food stamps to feed their kids], you know it's real. They didn't get where they are by being generous [or even reasonable] to their vendors, suppliers, or their workers.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
In a capitalist, free market economy businesses exist to make a profit. Whatever good or service is provided by a business is simply a means to that end. Moreover, gains or profits belong solely to the business not employees. Want a share of the profits? Become a shareholder. It's easy.

As for Ferguson, that sorry episode reaffirmed that lawless members of society will loot, steal, burn and exploit the vulnerable when the opportunity presents itself.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The way to fix "income inequality" is to improve your value. I would never expect the same percentage increase in pay as a CEO so if I want that increase I need to better myself to get into that position. When you look at places like factories, retail stores, or the trucking industry do you see more people complaining about how they are getting screwed by the company or working hard to get into a better position?

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When it comes to the expedited trucking industry I see a lot of people whining about the rates being the same as they were 10 years ago. Seems like it's the same people that don't understand that the top of the heap keeps making more money and the bottom of the heap carries the load and doesn't even keep up with inflation.

If you think the suits in the expedite business are getting the same pay they got 10 years ago you deserve what they allow you to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I ask again, what's the answer? Some of you seem to clearly see and know the problem, at least based on what you post, but you ignore the question. So what's the answer to these awful corporations and their overpaid executives and the underpaid workers. What's the answer to "income inequality"?

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes there are no real answers.

Everything runs in cycles. Unions have been pretty much unnecessary for the last 30 or 40 years. If the current trends continue unions will become much more popular. I believe it will take at least another 10 years of rising inequality before that happens. Things have to reach rock bottom before real change will take place.

Increasing the minimum wage will help the working poor and that needs to be done. BUT that's not really going to address the larger picture.

Henry Ford paid his workers more than the going rate at that time. He knew if his business was going to be successful his workers needed to be able to afford to buy his cars. He was a very forward thinking man. He is famous because of that. How many of the CEOs of today will be famous 100 years from now.

I definitely don't have the answers and can barely remember the questions sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So I ask again, what's the answer? Some of you seem to clearly see and know the problem, at least based on what you post, but you ignore the question. So what's the answer to these awful corporations and their overpaid executives and the underpaid workers. What's the answer to "income inequality"?

The can't answer that. If they do, it basically presents a Marxist or Communist system.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just want to hear from our very own here who can always find time to argue with the common sense posters but can't ever seem to answer the question.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I just want to hear from our very own here who can always find time to argue with the common sense posters but can't ever seem to answer the question.

It is always easier to be critical than provide solutions.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The can't answer that. If they do, it basically presents a Marxist or Communist system.

Oh no it doesn't. There are some companies [Costco, Trader Joe's] who do not pay the CEO in billions, while treating those at the lower end as disposable, and they make enough profit to satisfy themselves, every single year.
When the CEO made 100 times the lowest wage in his company, no one cared, because back then, even the lowest wage could support a single person in a modest way. But since no one complained, the CEOs kept finding ways to give more to themselves and less to everyone they didn't care about, because hey "There's more where they came from." Now, a CEO makes more than 850 times as much, and the people on the other end don't get a raise for years [and are told to be glad they have a job!]
The number of ways corporations have found to minimize the cost of labor is just mind boggling, from outsourcing, to using temporary workers, replacing full time workers with part time [no benefits = more profit], contract & seasonal workers, and let's not forget independent contractors, either. Somewhere, I have a list with at least 15 more ways than I can think of off hand, to lower the cost of workers. And is anyone seriously suggesting that the CEOs aren't taking in ridiculous amounts of money, year after year? And what kind of value does a venture capital outfit actually add to the economy? ZERO. They simply find a company that's in trouble, [but has a solid credit rating], offer to 'rescue' them, bribe the 'key' people with big bonuses for staying on, then give them a [boilerplate] plan that lays off half the workers, requires the rest to make up for it, [which they do, because they still have a job, at least], pays the big bonuses with money borrowed against the good credit, pay themselves a hefty fee for fixing everything, and then sell the company and go find another to work their magic on. Lather, rinse, repeat. These vultures add a lot to their own bank accounts [offshore, of course, you won't catch them paying taxes on it], but they leave a lot of misery behind for all the workers who had a job, many for decades. When they can't get another, they get called lazy and entitled, like they chose to be unemployable and scared, right?
I don't know what the answer is, because it means changing the "I got mine, sucks to be you" culture of selfish greed - but telling people to "be more valuable" [while education is priced out of their reach] is just adding insult to injury. Saying "become a shareholder" is a prime example of the problem: totally out of touch with the reality working people face, a real Mitt Romney/Marie Antoinette attitude, dripping with condescension for those who just want to earn enough to raise a family, buy a house, take a whole week or 2 vacation every year, and still save to send the kids to college.
Whatever "free market" "capitalism" "supply & demand" excuses you make, the truth is that working hard isn't enough anymore, and our society is falling apart because of it.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Anyone participating in a 401(K) or an IRA which invests in mutual funds is already a shareholder. Whether it be a school bus driver or a janitor, if they choose to participate, they're in. Setting aside just a small part of each paycheck over a ten or twenty year period can yield a comfortable nestegg. Control your destiny. It's really a matter of priorities.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, when you say "working hard isn't enough anymore," be reminded that working hard was never enough. Hard work must be accompanied by a plan providing for future needs. Setting aside a small amount of money on a regular basis requires discipline and an understanding of delayed gratification. Thinking the government will cover peoples' shortsightedness is a journey to disappointment.