LETS BETTER OUR INDUSTRY

VANISH

Expert Expediter
We can better our industry by actting more PROFESSIONAL out here. That means no Alligators hanging on the side of the van. No Monsters waving at customers sitting in the front seat. No skulls on the top of the van with its eyes flashing. No ridiculous signs on the the side of the van or truck thats not related to company business. No animals in vehicles, your running a business not a animal shelter, customers might not want animals on there property. No disco lights flashing on the top of your van unless your a tow truck or officer of the law. You see, the key word here is PROFESSIONALISM. I mean look at UPS, FEDEX & Postal System. They all wear uniforms, they dont have things hanging on the delivery truck, they dont have any stupid signs or animals in their vehicles, nothing like that. And they look PROFESSIONAL dont they? Thats why I think most of our freight is going to them instead of us. Bottom line folks, who wants to hire us (Alligators,Monsters,Aliens,Stupid signs, Skulls, Smelly Animals in tight spaces, Flashing lights, you name it) or them (Uniforms, neat appearance, non of the above mentioned). Well you do the math. If theres a 1% chance I made you think about this subject then this forum was well worth it. God bless everyone and Happy New Year...........OUTx(

gump

Expert Expediter
If bettering our industry means going out and just plain trashing some one because they are different count me out,as for the flashing lights...yes i have one,when it was on my car it was red and clear,and yes if you want a uniform i can show you all of them i wore,well actually i gave them to a handicapped person that collects police and rescue memoribilia.Respect individuals for what they are,individuals......youll get alot farther in life,and the guy with the aliens is a pretty great guy...know people before u trash them..thats all i ask.If ive ever did anything to offend u im truely sorry..come up to me some day,introduce yourself,,,ill buy u a cup of coffee or what ever and talk to u like a rational person..i enjoy life.i wore a uniform to long,,,i enjoy helping people,buts when i took this job it was because of the freedom...not going back to cookie cutter vehilces and uniforms.all the same......yuck.
again dont cut down others for something i must have done to u personally.Im not that bad a guy,ask anyone that really knows all the facts.things are not always as they seem.I wish u well and be safe.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is now the fourth time you since you joined EO as a member caused havoc on the forum. You stated that you are an adult and commented that others act their age. Well that statement applies to all involved, including you. To me your posts you sound exactly like that guy on the CB Radio that has most drivers turning off their radios. This isn't a radio and the only thing you are doing is running people away from coming to the forum. I will not have you do that, and I know with out a doubt I have the support of all the other moderators on this site. I have only been a moderator a short time and I really don't want to remove this or any other post from this site, but I will not watch another person run people away.

As for this topic. It is a dead soldier. You don't sign this guys pay check, and you don't own the company he drives for. If the company that he is leased to allows him to do and have those things, then who are you to say anything.

In my opinion you posted this to continue to fuel the fire. Hopefully the other members will read into your game and ignore this and any other post of yours until you decide to become part of EO and get serious.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This guy must have chosen "Vanish" because that's what happened to his personality and sense of humor. Our business is about service. The things he whined about have nothing to do with getting the frieght there on time. After you deliver your time crital load on time, the reciever will probably ask your dogs name and want to pet it.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nice reply Tony.I have to agree with you 100%. To whoever is this Vanish person, if you can!t contribute in a positive or neutral mode why bother.Whatever this man!s vehicle looks like is his business and I doubt if it has cost you personnally one cent.Personal attacks are not tolerated on this site..Nuff said..

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
WHY DONT YOU TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF YOUR OWN ADVICE FROM ANOTHER POST.
REMEMBER YOU TELLING SOMEONE ELSE IF THEY DIDNT LIKE IT OUT HERE, THEN LEAVE? WELL, IF YOU DONT LIKE PEOPLE DISPLAYING THINGS ON THEIR TRUCK, HAVING DECORATIONS, OR ANYTHING ELSE, THEN QUIT!! GO FIND A JOB WHERE EVERYONE IS IN UNIFORM AND THERE ARE NO DECORATIONS, ANIMALS, ALIENS, SO ON. NOBODY IS MAKING YOU STAY IN TRUCKING. LEAVE!! DONT FORGET TO SHUT THE DOOR WHEN YOU LEAVE EO ALSO.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
By the way, you were asking that we be more PROFESSIONAL. I hope that when you leave a customer and they say "have a good day" or "thank you", you dont turn around and say "OUT" like you do in here. Thats not very professional...dont you know that Mr. Professional? Must have to forgot to read that chapter, while you were sitting in your plain jane vehicle, in your pretty little uniform....OUT...haha

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Sounds like Newt Gingrich guy. You know the Senate guy that said that if someone wasn't rich then they didn't qualify to be protacted under the constitution! The Guy is drunk on the noise of His goose steppin boot make.
Oh and Hey that smelly animal? Guy tried to check out my rig once while I was on the dock....didn't get far.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.}>

catfish

Expert Expediter
"alligator rick" is a good guy too. i don't know how many places i've run into him- his van is always easy to spot. and the only reason i never brought one of my hounds out on the road with me is because i've been to places where i would worry about their safety. that doesn't mean i would have a half-dozen dogs in my van (i've seen it done) but i know some drivers' dogs by name and i'm sure they help to deal with the loneliness of the road. i believe professionalism is important, but expediters are generally free spirits and i don't think the uniform idea would ever fly. why would someone invest the money into a van, straight truck or tractor just to have to deal with the same rules as a company driver?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll paint my truck drab UPS brown now, get a Sambo uniform, and take off my little "God Bless America" flag from my window, because I'm not professional enough for you Mr. Vanish? Let's get real buddy!
-Weave-
ummm, I'm waiting for my "nasty-gram" by the way..anytime, Vanish

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS PROBLEM IS, BUT I THINK HE NEEDS TO GO WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT SUITES HIS NEEDS. I GUESS IT MAKES HIM FEEL BETTER TO TRY AND PUT OTHER PEOPLE DOWN, I THINK HE HAS SOME ISSUES THAT CAN ONLY BE WORKED OUT WITH A SHRINK. HOPE HE GOES TO THE DR. OR JUST SIMPLY GOES----AWAY:+

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So Vanish is on a rant, so what?...I didn´t see where he mentioned anyone by name, so there was no personal attack. Last time I looked...this was free speech. I´ve seen veiled comments from many posters on this forum. Some of you are way to excitable! Who cares!....Mr. Vanish seems to get his jollys bieng negative. Tune him out, just like your radio. Why waste energy defending something that need not be defended? A simple solution for Vanish, would be to put his van on with a company that is as restrictive as he likes to live. Or he can apply to the companies he mentioned. But really, whatever he posts, is it going to make the slightest difference to YOUR lifestyle fellow drivers? Fortunately, guys like him don´t run the expediting industry. Personally, in all my years of trucking, I never saw once, where the way a driver dressed, or decked out his truck, made any difference to his revenue. The way he smelled.. maybe!...but that´s a whole other topic. Lighten up, and get a life Vanish.

newthead

Expert Expediter
I see personalised things on trucks an indicator that the drivers enjoy life and love what they do for a living! I for one am attracted to this profession partly because of that spirit.

action

Expert Expediter
One question "Vanish". Which uniformed, one color truck out fit did you get kicked out of for your "I'm the greatest" way of thinking?

P.S. I'm glad he's one of a kind! Couldn't stand to see a bunch of expediters like him!

Best to ALL (you too vanish) and be SAFE!!:D

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am surprised at the level of hostility that Mr. Vanish appears to have drawn to himself. Do you really think that it is justified, or are we all frustrated this week, sitting at home and waiting for the Season of Joy and Peace on Earth to quickly end and we can "get out of the house" and see what 2003 has to bring.

If 2003 is not a significant improvement over 2002, my D unit is going to find itself parked along the Fla. coast and I will be wading in the Gulf with fishing rod in hand.

By the way Vanish. There are a couple of things that customers are looking for - "on time delivery" and "cheap rates." They also want to be treated with the same respect the rest of us expect. Maybe a clean "professional" personal appearance and clean, spec truck would make somepeople like me more, but that's why I prefer being an independent contractor.

Drive Safe.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well Larry I live in North FL on the Coast,had 15% less gross this year then last so I may join you in fishing solitude..

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
I have seen the van with 4 farrots inside and your right it STUNK. It is the same van with the skulls. I have aso seen the aligator van. I have in 2 and 1/2 years seen most if not all of these personallized vans. Frankly I would not do that to anything I drive. I do not like fender skirts or mudflaps. Coon tails,squirl tails,or fuzzy dice willl not be seen in my vans. (my 2 vans are parked in my front yard and for sale)I do however respect the persons right to DRESS up their truck however SILLY they want. Remember this,,,,"there is a right way to do things and a way to do things right". I think the man was trying to say lets be Professional for crying out loud and I agree with that. Some of these trucks look awful and that is UNPROFESSIONAL.}>

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: LETS BETTER OUR INDUSTRY/Right on!

Thank you, Larry and Lureveto. It's not like the trucking industry has such a great face! Hang around any truck stop on any given day or night as we are wont to do and witness the trash-talking and acting lumpen characters that call themselves members of this working profession, and it makes you sick. Individual expression is one thing, but crass attitudes like "America would not move without trucks" becomes just an excuse for intolerable behavior. Yes we are the only ones who give away free unpaid time, that shouldn't give truckers the right to behave as if their are no societal norms. Fly want you want on your trucks, but maybe we should set an example for professionalism.

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
I take offense to someone who says I'm not acting professional, because I DO have an Alien with me. I talk to Marvin all the time he keeps me sane out there. I don't think I've ever offended any of my customers by having him either. We are all individuals, and we have the right to express ourselves, give others drivers a smile as they pass by,& toll booth workers need a little laugh also. So, as I see it, why don't you just say everyone in all occupations wear uniforms,wear our hair the same way...ect...ect. GOD BLESS THE AMERICAN WAY:+