Let me interject this...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I believe the best days are ahead of us for those in our industry.

Why?

Service.

When this economy starts stoking up and truck demand increases - you are in the drivers seat.

It's going to be good.

If you have weathered this storm so far...

I salute you. Stay focused.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree wholeheartedly! We've had one miserable year, as an industry. The ones who've played the brain game, and stood their ground, will end up reaping the rewards. Even if this isn't the recovery phase, but rather a hiccup in the misery, those who are frugal can charge their batteries for another go during the recession, and do it all over again next year. At the end of the recession/depression, they will be the among the kings of enterprise.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Customer service is a huge part of our job. We try very hard to make the customer feel that their money is well spent when we show up at the door.
This is still an excellent job for a couple that likes to work hard, be together, see the country and make a decent living doing it.
Thanks for the reminder Lawrence :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sorry , But i don't think so , Here's why .
the Expedite industry have made it way too easy to get into , every mum&pup that lost their income ,can drive for an owner , and expedite within a week .
heck , most can get a used truck or van , for a fraction of their saving.

~*Expedite demand will pick up , way before the rest of the economy .

and large carriers will continue to sign on every one they can .
another point is the way shippers are getting their freight moved , in the past they used to call the carrier of choice ,
the increase of competition created a market where most carrier are relying on partners to cover up loads for many rezones ,and working more as a 3PL , then a carrier.
they will continue to do so ,
this practice will keep the shipper happy , and keep rates down .

~*the raise in demand will not lead to rates increase , nor volume .

Service ?
yes , but it have become a given fact .
too many of us know how to provide it.

guido4475

Not a Member
As depressing as Moose's post is, I really believe he is right.Rates may go up, but I doubt that we'll see any of it. The carriers have gotten all too greedy, at the expense of the drivers.Look at the fuel surcharge, for example.They have no business getting any of it at all. But they do.Just imagine how much money is made off of the drivers in fsc alone.And look at some of the ridiculous charges and fees that carriers charge.I have been looking at contracts all week and it just amazes me how some companies can charge 200.00 for an administration fee, amongst other things.I was in the dispatch office awile ago when a driver called in asking about detention time pay.The dispatcher then called the customer and explained the situation to the customer and was able to get $150.00 for the wait time.So then the dispatcher calls the driver back and says, hey, I got paid $75.00 for the wait time, and I'm giving it all to you.I about fell over.So much for honesty.If these companies are so honest, then why dont they provide us a final copy of the bill/invoice that is sent to the customer? As far as I remember, Landstar was the only one that did that at the time of load offering.I know I am beating a dead horse here,But it really frustrates me to no end when I see real good people/drivers/o-o's going under because of things like this.It is too bad what has become of this indusrty.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence,
Thanks for the encouragement but.....

this is a different economy, it is different times with a different industry. We now face challenges that were not there two years ago and many won't survive or better put shouldn't survive.

Many companies, like FedEx have changed their attitude and position within the market to capture more revenue and looking over the horizon to see what they can do if the economy does continue a downturn.

As much as I would like to think we are on the front lines of any recovery, for the most part we are not. We have a long way to go and what may seem to be a recovery may be a calm before the storm. What seems to be picking up may be the slack taken up by money flowing or trickling to get things done.

The fact that trucking has change, expediting regardless what most think is not exclusive expediting anymore and there more of the blurring of the lines between the mainstream trucking and what we used to call expediting.

As moose said, it is too easy to get into. Moose put it rather accurately about the ease of this which for the rest of us causes concern when fleets are expanding while they should be contracting so to get more trucks off the road and rates pushed higher. The carriers change their percentages, move to nickel and dime the contractor and make it look like it costs them so much money to run the business because the contractor is there.

Customer service? You have to learn what it means and if you don't have the standards to begin with, then you can never give it. I mean that yea customer service is somewhat a part of this but if you tolerate the cr*p at places you eat, buy parts at, or when things are done at your house and you accept bad customer service (like bad attitudes or cr*ppy food) as normal, then you can't deliver. Because we have that blurring of that fine line in the industry, most loads we do are just loads - get the truck backed up, drop the ramp, get it loaded, do the paper work and get out of there to deliver. Most of the time the shipper doesn't care what truck you are using, whether it has chrome lug nut covers or lights that flash, he wants his stuff moved and cheaply. This of course excludes the elite in the fleet, WG and Elite, they are a different breed and not what I can ever consider being part of the thousands of common expediters out there. Is there room for

Customer service? Yes always and it comes down to intgerity and quality of the person, not the carrier.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Moose, Guido -

Don't think my comment was pure speculation.

We have seen some data that is confirming this. It's 100% expedite trucking related. It's the lead story in the next edition of Expedite NOW magazine.

guido4475

Not a Member
Lawrence, I believe you are correct,Things are picking up somewhat,based on the fact that the co I am leased to has hired alot of trucks over the past few weeks while in the meantime not losing any of the currently signed-on trucks.I really believe they wouldnt sign on more trucks than needed, they couldnt handle the extra insurance cost alone, given how things are tight financially.But at the same time,there are a few trucks that are not producing like they should, either.So I dont think it is fair to the slow-movers to have the co hire on new or more trucks until the slow movers can be brought up to par, given that the slow mover wants to grow and achieve instead of being selective with loads, etc.

I do believe you that things are picking up: My girlfreind is a 30-year experienced escrow officer at a major lender, and the housing market has taken a positive turn upward.So I take this as a positive sign of things to come, but I also think it will be awile until we see the benefits of the upturn in the economy.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If these companies are so honest, then why dont they provide us a final copy of the bill/invoice that is sent to the customer? I know I am beating a dead horse here, But it really frustrates me to no end when I see real good people/drivers/o-o's going under because of things like this.It is too bad what has become of this indusrty.
Please read - and understand - the following very, very carefully - it is up to you know your rights .... and of course, it is up to you to exercise them as well:

From Part 376: Lease and interchange of vehicles, specifically:

Part §376.12: Written lease requirements (<--- clickable link)

"(g) Copies of freight bill or other form of freight documentation— When a lessor’s revenue is based on a percentage of the gross revenue for a shipment, the lease must specify that the authorized carrier will give the lessor, before or at the time of settlement, a copy of the rated freight bill or a computer-generated document containing the same information, or, in the case of contract carriers, any other form of documentation actually used for a shipment containing the same information that would appear on a rated freight bill.

When a computer-generated document is provided, the lease will permit lessor to view, during normal business hours, a copy of any actual document underlying the computer-generated document. Regardless of the method of compensation, the lease must permit lessor to examine copies of the carrier’s tariff or, in the case of contract carriers, other documents from which rates and charges are computed, provided that where rates and charges are computed from a contract of a contract carrier, only those portions of the contract containing the same information that would appear on a rated freight bill need be disclosed.

The authorized carrier may delete the names of shippers and consignees shown on the freight bill or other form of documentation."

Notice that the language above is pretty unambiguous - as in: "must specify", "will give", "will permit", and "must permit" ...... it doesn't say the carrier can show them to you .... if they sorta, kinda feel like it ....

AFAIK, the above are Federal Regulations which are unambiguous ..... and have the force of law.

Bottomline is one has to get off their sorry dead butts and go ask to see the invoices. :D

As far as I remember, Landstar was the only one that did that at the time of load offering.
Possibly because they were caught once with their hands in the cookie jar, falsifying and misrepresenting things, and were successfully sued by OOIDA and some of their owner operators, and had to disclose the actual billings and pay back compensation (look it up - I believe the judgement is on OOIDA's website) Hopefully, the jokers that got them in this kind of trouble are long gone from the company.

Last edited:

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
This site should be called Expedite Carriers Online.

The rosie pictures and cool aid pouring justs leads more lambs to the slaughter. All for the sake of carriers that fund this site.

Expediters Online is to the Expedite Carriers, as FOX News is to the Republican party and the religous right. These are propaganda machines that roll on with no shame, and are unaccountable to the fine folks who think facts are being reported, then act on this bogus info.

Keep up the "good" work.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This site should be called Expedite Carriers Online.

The rosie pictures and cool aid pouring justs leads more lambs to the slaughter. All for the sake of carriers that fund this site.

Expediters Online is to the Expedite Carriers, as FOX News is to the Republican party and the religous right. These are propaganda machines that roll on with no shame, and are unaccountable to the fine folks who think facts are being reported, then act on this bogus info.

Keep up the "good" work.

If you read the posts on eo you will find just the opposite is true. Not once have I seen someone ask for advice about joining this not be told now is a bad time to do so. EO has caeried many articles about the downturn in freight and other negative articles.

Some people think what is said on the big three is more honest than on Fox when in reality it is just bull from the other side. It works both ways.