Leaving panther beware

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
you will receive charges long after you leave they charged me for a pallet jack that they wouldn't take back, they charge you for uninstalling a qualcom that I uninstalled,sad this co. is going to hell in a hand bascket.
they do not give you 100% of your surcharge they tell you you are on a structured surcharge when in reality you only get a percentage of that.
I now work for a much larger co. which gives all surcharge just got one for .52 per loaded mile.some are lower but most are in this range now doesn't that make you wonder where the rest is going oh and I get a lot more per mile, yes i have to do some of the leg work but I found out if you can find a load for 2.52 per mile its worth it. please beware, I know some of you old timers there are dedicated to panther because you may have more than 1 truck there so they treat you all real good they don't want you to leave and take a fleet with you.
I wish all you good luck.:cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
you will receive charges long after you leave they charged me for a pallet jack that they wouldn't take back,
I bet there's more to that story. Why did they refuse to take it back?

they charge you for uninstalling a qualcom that I uninstalled,
They charge you the $250 QC inspection and reconditioning fee regardless of who uninstalls it. That's in the contract. Mine was installed by me when I was at Con-Way NOW, and I uninstalled 5 years later when I left Panther. I didn't turn in the cable harness because I buried it inside insulation in the van, but since it came from Con-Way NOW in the first place, they didn't charge me for not turning it in, which I thought was considerate of them. But they did nevertheless charge me the $250 fee, just like they do everyone else.

sad this co. is going to hell in a hand bascket.
I guess.

they do not give you 100% of your surcharge they tell you you are on a structured surcharge when in reality you only get a percentage of that.
The structured FSC never was 100% of the billed surcharge, and they never pretended it was. The downside to the structured is that you will often get less than what the customer is billed. The upside is that you will often get more than what the customer is billed.

I now work for a much larger co. which gives all surcharge just got one for .52 per loaded mile.some are lower but most are in this range now doesn't that make you wonder where the rest is going
Doesn't make me wonder at all where it's going. It all goes into one big pot where they use it to pay the structured fuel surcharge and the DH pay, and what's left over they get to keep. This surprises you?

oh and I get a lot more per mile, yes i have to do some of the leg work but I found out if you can find a load for 2.52 per mile its worth it. please beware, I know some of you old timers there are dedicated to panther because you may have more than 1 truck there so they treat you all real good they don't want you to leave and take a fleet with you.
I wish all you good luck.:cool:
Well OK then.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
8 years at that dump when they told me to hit the road jack they put charges on top of charges lol how on the earth did I ever put up with the lieing bunch of ______________ for that long i'll never know

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What kind of charges? We haven't had any issues. Then again, is it because I am a fleet owner according to the other post?

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
What kind of charges? We haven't had any issues. Then again, is it because I am a fleet owner according to the other post?

your all there dave you work your fleet and panther but charges stupid things no biggie like I've said befor expediting teaches you lessons you'll never forget

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok.....but you haven't said what all these multiple charges are? I am just saying we haven't had any. You said "they put charges on top of charges " Trying to understand exactly what that means.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I dunno. After talking with several who have left Panther, and after leaving Panther myself, I have come to the conclusion that when you leave Panther they will charge you precisely what they're supposed to, no more and certainly no less.

I left them after 5 years. The notice I gave them when I was leaving was when I pulled into Seville with my newly lettered Sprinter to hand them their QC. (Well, they prolly had a little bit of a headsup that I might be leaving when Load 1 Safety inquired about work history and such). I was prepared to pay $100 for the wiring harness because that's in the contract, but they didn't charge me for that because they didn't supply the harness in the first place. The only charges I incurred was the QC charge, as per the contract. I got all my escrow back within the permitted alotted time, including interest. Despite giving no notice, I left on good terms and was told I'd be welcomed back. A month after I had left I received an e-mail from Safety with my annual HAZMAT training test attached, and was told if I wanted to I could take the test and they'd keep it in my file in case I wanted to come back. I dunno.

For those who are still at Panther, it might not be a bad idea to closely re-read your contract periodically. If for nothing else, they constantly beat you over the head with it, and you can return the favor if you know the contract well enough. The key is you gotta know it. You can't make any assumptions, you gotta know it. Once you know it, the surprises pretty much end. Panther will try and screw you every chance they get. But, they will only screw you by the rules. Know the rules and they can't screw you. It's really that simple.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There you have it. Over the years I have pulled and added trucks and had no issues. But you are correct.....you need to know what your contract actually says.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I just had my first big problem with the cat that is about money. not big money but still money. I got load dispatched on to pick up in louisville and im in georgetown 60 miles out. im heading that way and get call load cacancelled. ok I got load at 455 then it said pick up was ready so im going to get it 45 miles down the road dispatch calls the place said they would be closed so loads a no go. well they didnt give a dry run no first out or nothing really **** me off!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just had my first big problem with the cat that is about money. not big money but still money. I got load dispatched on to pick up in louisville and im in georgetown 60 miles out. im heading that way and get call load cacancelled. ok I got load at 455 then it said pick up was ready so im going to get it 45 miles down the road dispatch calls the place said they would be closed so loads a no go. well they didnt give a dry run no first out or nothing really **** me off!

Did it **** you off enough to call Driver Relations and ask why, after being told "it's ready now" that you aren't getting paid the for the dry run? The scheduled pickup time becomes instantly irrelevant when Dispatch states "it's ready now" because you are moving on Dispatch's explicit instructions.

If that "it's ready now" is on the recording, then I'd get my dry run pay out of them, and I'd make my wheel the squeakiest wheel they've ever heard until I did.

Panther dispatchers have a really nasty habit of saying "it's ready now" when it's not ready at all, and they don't have a clue whether it's ready or not. They tell you that because they want you there...NOW, and if you have to wait for hours until the scheduled pickup time it's no hair off their butt because detention doesn't start until two hours after the scheduled time. So if they can talk you into arriving early, even way early, they are assured that you are there when the time comes. One less thing for them to worry about.

When you ask them why they told you it was ready now and it's not, the answer is a familiar one, "The customer said it's ready now," which is complete and utter BS, because most of the time the customer doesn't know, either.

I had cases where, for example, they'd call me at noon for a 1600 pickup, and say "It's ready now," and I'd go over to the pickup at 1300 and the shipper hasn't even started building the parts, yet. It'll be ready by 1600, tho!

In dispatch's mind they've got me there already, so I'll definitely be there for the 1600 pickup. Everything's just fine. Then I call, and it's not so fine. "Either pay me detention starting now, or get me off this load, because I was lied to about the terms and conditions of the load and I don't want it anymore." They'll say, they were just going by what the customer told them. Yeah, well, that's their problem, between them and the customer, not me or my problem.

If they gave me very much crap over it, the next thing I'd say is, "All this trouble has stressed me out to the point where I'm tired and I need a break." Them's the magic words, because THAT'S on the recording, too, and that phrase triggers a very specific response. It's amazing how quickly than can find some detention money for you, or find someone else to do the load. It's an especially effective technique when you know there's no one around to make the pickup time.

I also, quite often, would tell them after hearing, "It's ready now," that that's great, but if I get there and it's not ready now, then I don't want the load, so you need to make sure that it is in fact ready now, or, pay me detention from the time I arrive until the pickup time.

While the reason for them playing such silly games is understandable (people will have a few hours lead time for a pickup and then go to sleep and oversleep and be late, or go do something else along the way and lose track of time and be late), it's still a silly game, played in their favor. If they're going to play games like that, then play them right back, but always in your favor. You don't want to play those games just to be difficult, but when they leave you little choice (play the game right back or be steamrolled), there ya go.

I never once failed to get dry run or detention pay that I was due.

noneya

Active Expediter
It didn't take me long to figure out how full of $h*t panther is. After 4 months, I left them and I am now working for a different company that is giving me more miles and pays me after every delivery.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We haven't had any issues with dry run pay. Had to call on a few, but nothing major. The biggest problem seems to be people not knowing the rules or are clueless as to what is in their contract.
Maybe lesser of an issue with straights and tractors verses vans? I don't know.
The one place I know that does come up is a run that is dispatched 12 hours prior to pickup and the truck rolls right away and it cancels. Many don't realize there is no dry run pay over eight hours. Telling you to "roll right away" is another matter regardless of time. Turtle is correct, you may have to call, but they will pay it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They abuse van drivers as a matter of routine. They do that, of course, because most van drivers are morons and will allow themselves to be abused. Straight truck O/O and fleet owners simply won't put up with that crap. Now you're messing with available HoS, load opportunities and revenue, so it becomes serious in a heartbeat. But van drivers driving for fleet owners will put up with it because they don't know any better. And the van fleet owners will put up with it because they don't care, as their vans are out there making them extra pocket money and they aren't going to make the effort for the moron they know they have in their van. Many van O/O don't know any better, either. "I gots my van and my keys and I'm ready to make money," is generally the extent of their knowledge of the industry and how it all works.

There are exception, of course. People with extensive experience, like Moot, for example, and those who have bothered to learn the business and know the rules.

Even in a van, with Panther's 16-hour clock and 5-hour break mandate, "It's ready now" can really screw the pooch if it ain't ready. I once delivered a load to Ithaca, NY at 10AM and my clock wouldn't reset for 5 hours of being motionless until 3PM. At 11AM they called with a load going 930 to Decherd, TN that had a 2PM pickup time and said, "It's ready now."

If I wait until 2PM to pick it up my clock won't reset because I won't have had a 5-hour break and my current 16-hour clock runs out at 9PM. And there's no time in the load to take a 5-hour break along the way. There's time for a 4-hour break, but that won't cut it. However, if I pick it up now, since it's ready, those extra two+ hours out of the shipper gives me ample time to take a 5-hour break en route to the delivery and still leave me more than an hour to spare. I asked, "Are you sure it's ready now? Because if it is I can do it. If it's not I can't." The reply was, "Oh, yeah, it's ready now."

I get to the shipper and they haven't even been told to make the parts yet. They don't know anything about it. They check and say they'll have it by 2PM. Great. It's noon. Now my 16-hour clock is still running and I can't wait around until 5PM to reset it, and there's no time to reset it along the way. Instead of 930 miles, the load swapped out 230 miles later in Carlisle, PA.

Talk about being ****ed off. I could see it coming, told the dispatcher what would happen, and she said, "No, no, no," and it happened. After that I started using the "It's ready now" against them, playing their games right back at them.

That wasn't the first run-in with that particular dispatcher, either. After that, I took particular satisfaction in making her job as difficult as I possibly could. :D

Reactions: 1 person