Leasing to company o/o??

Chmiel08

Active Expediter
If leasing with a company with your own sprinter van would i still get benefits-health and medical or do i have to take care of my own dental and medical?
Or does leasing with a company mean you have to lease one of their trucks?
Thank you

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No need to start a new thread you could ask this in your first its very related. You would be an independent contractor no benifets and you pay your own taxes. Its a business not a job. You can drive your own or for an owner.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Almost everywhere in this industry segment, you'll be self-employed, and therefore, responsible for your own health insurance. Regarding that, why not get coverage from the VA? Or are there family members that you have to cover? If that's the case, then you can buy it yourself. There are several places, like ehealthinsurance.com that you can research rates and buy through.

When people here talk about leasing, in most cases, they mean leasing the vehicle that you own to a carrier.

As DaveKC said in the other post, read, read read. You're asking questions, and that's wise - keep asking. However, he also (and you said,too) that you're jumping in way too fast. There are lots of folks that do well in vans & sprinters. There are tons more that fail. From what I read, vans are super-saturated in the industry (read=there's too many of them).

Here's a couple of suggestions: Since you have a Class A, why not learn driving someone else's straight truck for a bit? You already have the qualifications, and your learning curve will be on someone else's dime. You could research carriers first, then pursue driving a fleet owner's truck for a bit, learning freight lanes and the business before dumping tons of money, or worse, be a slave to payments while you make mistakes in your new-ness (and you WILL make mistakes).

If you're at Bliss, why not take a trip to the Flying J in Anthony, or the Love's or Petro in El Paso, and approach a van or straight truck driver and pick their brains? A word of caution, though: If their curtains are drawn, or their windows are covered-up, they're probably asleep-let them rest.

Lastly, keep asking questions.

Chmiel08

Active Expediter
Thank you for your straight up answers and honesty. I guess I really am looking into this to quickly. Click click in my head, I will drive company driver for as long as I have to to get information and learn the business and pick everyone's brain as much as I can about the transportation business. I Really don't want to make any mistakes and end up financially screwed! Thanks again!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I should probably clarify one thing.....my knowledge of the van segment is limited to what I read here. My bride and I also have Class A licenses, but have only ever driven a straight truck, and only as a team.

I believe that everyone else that responded to both of your threads, except Dave, has driven or is driving a van.

Glad to see you're approaching this with an open mind.