Lease to Own

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
Hey owners!! My driver wants to do a lease to own type of thing where I just take care of truck payment and he takes over maintenance and insurance costs. How would I go about this? Does panther help with this at all. Dave and all the other owners, your advice would be much appreciated thanks.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Panther does not help......but you can do it one of 2 ways....deduct all costs from settlement and advance everything else to him to make certain you always get your money......or give him a power of attorney to operate the truck and he can sign it on himself and get all settlements strait to him then he pays you. Make certain you have a good lease purchase agreement with either option.

-charlotte

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would be skeptical. Even more so with a van. The areas of concern are if he pays the maintenance, who determines where and how much is done? Could be a sticky situation.
Secondly, who is holding the title if you are paying it off? Another area of concern if something goes south.
Does all of your payment pay down the van, or only part of it?
I seldom see these kind of deals go to term. But I am sure there are exceptions.
It would be my advice to secure an attorney and have him review this lease arrangement. Keep in mind also there will be some issues of concerns as well depending on whether you both live in the same state or different.
Lastly, Charlotte is correct in that Panther won't get involved in this type of contract.
Not sure if I helped you or not?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
>Hey owners!! My driver wants to do a lease to own type of
>thing where I just take care of truck payment and he takes
>over maintenance and insurance costs.

What you speaking of here is not a lease to own, if you are still making the payments, is not a good deal to you, you have nothing to gain except he headache of the driver taking time off and not making the truck money and yet you still have a payment??

maybe explain it to us a little better, we can help a little better.

cargojock

Seasoned Expediter
As an owner, I am also interested in how a GOOD lease-to-own program works. I'm thinking of something that winds up being positive for both the owner and the driver, but of course doesn't leave the owner stuck holding the bag.

Just this week I was approached by a driver looking for an owner, and he said what he really hoped for was to find a lease-to-own deal. I don't have a free truck to put him in right now regardless of whether he'd go as a straight contractor or doing a lease-to-own, but it did get me thinking about it. He's also never done expediting, so I'd think it would be taking a real chance, no matter how "good" your agreement was, doing a lease-to-own with someone like him. On the other hand, I can see where it could be a good way for a driver/aspiring owner (with expedite experience!) to get their own truck. But is such an arrangement the best (or even a semi-decent) way for an owner to sell one of their trucks? I guess this is where I'm unclear on how these arrangements work well for both the owner and the driver.

So to those who have done it - both successfully and unsuccessfully - how did you do it? What were the terms of your agreement? What was good about it, and what was not so good? What worked, and what would you change if you did it again? I'd love to hear from both owners who sold and drivers who bought their trucks this way. BTW, I only own D units so that's what my specific questions apply to - I can see where it could be a riskier proposition for all involved with a van since it seems (from what I read here) that the van end of this business is much more inconsistent as far as relatively steady loads/income than straight trucks are.

I'd love to see this turn into an extended, informative thread. Those of us who have bought trucks all know that buying that first one isn't particularly easy from many standpoints, regardless of how much we've saved and how well we've planned. And those of us who have sold trucks know that most of them don't get taken off our hands overnight and/or not always at a price we consider reasonable. IF lease-to-own could be done right (if there IS a right way!), it could be a benefit to everyone.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
A lease to own has one very big problem,maintanance,if the guy dooing the lease is to maintain the truck,how do you know he is taking care of the truck?how long do you think your truck will last without a service,or repairs?
make him a partner,split the profits with him,you put up the truck,he puts up the labor,you split 50 50 after expenses,when truck is paid for,he would own 1/2 interest in truck,and at that time,his drivers pay would be part of expenses,and because of partnership,you still will have an income from that truck,if only just 50% of net.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In a perfect world, a lease purchase "might work"
The driver has a risk that his payments are used by the owner for something else, therefore the truck is never paid off.
Owner is vulnerable because he carries the note, and has no real verification of maintenance. Driver trashes the truck and walks, the owner gets a destroyed truck back.
I personally see no great deal from doing these. Most of the trucks I see sold this way are either junk, or the owner is upside with the note.
If not, then one would wonder why it wasn't sold outright.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know it a lease purchase would work with someone you don't already know and trust. For example, I know one guy, a good friend of mine, who did a lease purchase with another good friend of mine. The owner bought the van and then the driver pays everything, just as if he owns it. He pays the bank note to the bank, maintenance and repair, upgrades and additions to the van like insulation, a Fan-Tastic Fan vent, whatever he wants to do, everything. He does check with the owner before making any kind of permanent additions or changes to the van, of course In addition to everything, he pays the owner $400 a month for the privilege of leasing the van.

The owner set it up with the carrier that the drivers is the one who deals with the carrier on any issues, and for the most part, the owner doesn't even think much about the van at all. If something goes wrong, if a payment to the bank is late, or some other payment doesn't get paid on time, the van would go back to the owner and the driver gives up any and all interest and investment in the van. Period. The owner can take it back or not, his call. Depends on the situations and how he may want to handle it. A lease was drawn up to that effect.

It's going on 3 years now and the van will be paid off in a few months. So far, not a single late payment and all maintenance has been properly performed, etc. The lease is for 5 years, so even when the van is paid off the $400 monthly lease payment will still go to the owner, something that the driver is more than willing to live with, as the owner is the one who took all the risks up front.

Once the van is paid off, a provision in the lease makes the driver a co-owner of the van, with his percentage of ownership being 75% in the event that it is mutually agreed upon to sell the van at any time before the lease is up, minus however much is still owed to the owner via the $400 per month lease payments remaining at the time the van is sold. Assuming the van is not sold before the end of the lease, the driver continues to pay the $400 per month until the 5 year lease expires, and he can at any time pay a lump sum and buy out the lease, or he can make payments of more than $400 to shorten the time of the lease.

Essentially, the driver is buying the van, and is paying the owner $400 times 60 months = $24,000 for the opportunity of getting his own van. I think the van cost about $25,000 and his bank note payments are like $500. The driver is paying seemingly a lot for his van, and the owner isn't getting nearly what he would have if he were doing a 60/40 split, but the driver is getting a van out of the deal and the owner gets $400 a month for doing essentially nothing.

Both are happy, and it's a win-win situation. But like I said, I don't think this could be done unless both parties know each other well and trust each other. The owner did this because the driver's credit was so messed up that he couldn't get a loan on his own, and while the owner knows the situation with his credit and still trusts the driver, he didn't want to co-sign on a note just the same, cause that never works out well, and it would have handcuffed the owner if something went wrong. So he gave the driver virtual ownership, and all the responsibilities and feelings of ownership that go with it. It's worked well.

Someone might be able to come up with some variant of this situation and see if it works, at least on paper. :)

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop