Leaky roof

vipra

Expert Expediter
Water leaks through the seams in my Sprinter's roof when it rains. I'm sure this is easily fixed with a sealant, so what type or brand of sealant is best? Do I apply it inside on the ceiling or outside on the roof?

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Go to a RV store and get some Pro flex Rv sealant.It will cost about $6 for it.I had a leak on my freightliner roof and tried all kinds.The problem i ran into was the flexibility.This stuff here is the best.It stays flexible,can be applied while damp,light oil and in freezing temps.You have to work pretty fast once you apply it.You can also get it at camping world.When i put the regular caulk on from the hardware store it cracked and i got white residue on the windows after it rained.This stuff has not left any type of residue and my leak is fixed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You have a leak at the roof seams? It sounds like you overloaded the truck at one time and put the thing out of align. I heard that most of these things can't take a lot of torsional stress on the platform.

Or am I missing something here, unibody truck, German made to tighter standards than my Caravan and that don't leak?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Right you are Greg!

Many Sprinter's have problems with the rear doors not sealing too.

Definitely the result of torsional twisting when loaded.

The design concept is great, but why they ever settled on a Unibody application for a vehicle that was made to haul stuff, I can't imagine.

I suspect that they didn't consider folks would toss highly dense loads in the cargo bay. Loads where the weight in compacted into a small footprint.

When used in a small package delivery operation where the boxes average less than 40 lbs each and they are evenly spaced on side wall racks, the torsional stress factors are markedly reduced.

Unfortunately, we are asked to haul skids and bins that loaded with dense weight items.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There have been some issues (tho not widespread) with regard to rust, and in some cases leaking along with it, at the seams, especially some of the spot welds, but also up around the gutters. It's a good idea to get a ladder and get up there and check out every now and then. I've found no evidence of rust or separations, but, speculation is that a few vans that were painted on a few Friday afternoons may have gotten a coat or two less than they should have. Depending upon what the root cause is (bad welds, rust) it should be repaired under warranty, as the paint and rust warranty is a little different than the standard and drivetrain warranties. If it's stress related, then the warranty may not cover it (not that I'd offer up to the dealer any possible causes other than a manufacturer defect, of course).

What I would do is, take the van to a Mercedes dealer and have them take a look at it. Just tell them you'd rather get a qualified opinion before taking it to a Dodge dealer. :) Then, take that information to the Dodge dealer. You may end up repairing it yourself, which may be the best thing in the long run, anyway.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard another version about the rust spots:

They don't put on the final coats of paint till the vans are all re-assembled in SC and the body panels are subjected to the sea air(salt water) in transit from Germany hence rust spots.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya my 05 sprinter is getting a few small rust spots that i better take care of, shabby paint, ive never seen a 2 year old car or truck rust before.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honda...yea mine too 05 brushed them down and used a sealer.

2 year rust? Pony, Colt, Pinto come to mind...remember them?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,
Pony is not a model of a car like a Colt (Chrysler import) or a Pinto (Ford product). It is a type of a car with a short deck lid here in the states that was started with the Ford Mustang, that is why I asked.

And isn't this of topic?

I mean there is no leaks in the roofs of the cars I owned, all three mentioned I had at one time or another.

And where are the deer in this off topic moment?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah..off topic of a leaky roofy but rolls with the rusting problem...the Colt and Pinto were rust buckets in about 2 years life span. At least in Canada they were...

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yea but I don't think anyone paid 35-40k on a pinto. I would be upset if I started to get rust at 2 years old.

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The rust spots were about the size of a pinhead about ONE year later. Yeah it's was a Pi$$-off but lucky I was able to catch them early because someone HERE @ EO pointed it out!

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya mine started with a chip, probably something hit it on the road, now its about the size of a dime, i will scrape it and touch it up with enamel finger nale polish, that should get it thru till warmer weather this spring