LDP - Question from previous post

terryhop

Expert Expediter
Leo,

I read on one of your posts from Aug. 3, 05 that you average $1.00 for all miles with pantherII and can get 90K (miles) a year. What size truck do you have? My goal is to find a way to take home $50k year solo in a class B. Possible you think?

Really appreciate it,

John

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Like the Magic 8 Ball says "Not likely". You want to net 50 thousand you better go buy a big truck and get moving. I can't see you clearing 50 in a "B" unit. Sorry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I drive a D unit. I don't see a van taking home $50k per year. Vans seem to get hit with a lot more deadhead than a larger truck on top of a much lower rate per mile. The lower operating costs help but not nearly enough to cover the lower pay to the truck. Personally I think a D unit is the only way to go for maximizing revenue.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your question is rather confusing, I see why BBB ask if you mean VAN or B class license!

Like Glen said ‘not likely’ in a van, but it ‘is possible’. I know to be a fact, because I am one of those who has!

The way I do it (did it) is doing dedicated runs. I used to do a 600 mile dedicated round trip 5 nights a week running 10 to 12 hours a night. In 1999 ran for 7 months, I grossed $86K, in 2000, did the entire year I grossed over $120K, in 2001 I added another van and driver, which doubled my gross making more than $200K for that year. From there it has been all up hill, and down too!

Although I did this working for myself, ((I wouldn’t recommend it to ‘just anyone’. I went through a 3 year apprenticeship program, of which I designed myself)) it can be done working for one of the expedite companies. I know a few drivers doing dedicated runs making $75K to $90K each year. In fact EO did a story on one driver who did a daily run working for Try State.

The pay rate for doing dedicated routes is less than the regular mileage rate, but the work is guaranteed. Hope this is of some help.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We use heavy "D" units that are logistics equiped or specialty ie curtainside. Our "big" trucks averaged $121k in 2004. According to our fuel tax filings for all miles the average was $1.62 per mile. The key is a large customer base so you can dh across town and not the state. As Tony says "it can be done" but it won't happen overnite. And, you will have to get past the idea that the freight you have on your truck is the companys freight and take ownership for customer satisfaction and other business issues that seem not to be a priority to folks from what I read on this site. One other difficulty most have a problem understanding is the fact that the "company" does not determine where you go "the freight does". If you can get past the we/they syndrome you might have a chance.

miko

Expert Expediter
With $121K/yr you might as well live in the truck since the freight leads the way. And how about getting the hands on such a unit, let alone repairs and upkeep?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Miko: If you have the moxy to be in the truck 52 weeks, it'd only be
about 1400 miles per week. I'm sure you could stand that if you tried. But, in the 45 weeks we look at it's 1650 a week. I don't understand get'in the hands on the truck part, sorry. And yes, we do have a good maintenance program.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have had a van just over a year now and before that i had a star c unit and doing more with less

from 800.00 to 2800 a week depends how i feel, how hard i work
and home everynight

tomorrow have a short day 5 stops and one pick up
and be over 300.00 for day and only 175 miles in van

can't wait for one of customer to come back to us and will need help taking money to bank

geo956

Expert Expediter
Sheesh...I wish people would re-read what they type before hitting the send button....it might help some of the ti-poh's (oops typos) and some of the butchered grammer.

I'm not sure what miko meant either, x06col. According to your figures, $121K gross @ $1.62 averages to ~6250 miles per month. So I guess I do not understand what miko's point was.

x06col...are these numbers using your own authority? Are FSC numbers in the gross? How about deadhead?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
John:

As a van owner leased to a major nationwide carrier, we've never net $50K annually; however, it can be and has been done by others with circumstances similar to ours. If you have family or friends you'd like to visit on a regular basis, I suggest you consider options other than leasing a van to any expedite carrier.

Typically, I believe, you would gross somewhere between $50 - $70,000 annually and spend every bit of 1/3 or more of that on overhead. For reference, Fedex Custom Critical's solo van operators averaged a gross revenue of $41,971.70 during 2002-2004

TEACEL is a great example of a businesss man with trucking industry knowledge who has created a van particular company that has generated good income for him and his drivers. You would do well to replicate his successes.