Latest on Mexican Trucks Issue

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
August 31, 2007

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation has delayed plans to open the border to long-haul Mexican trucks until at least Thursday, after earlier reports that it could happen over Labor Day weekend.

In a filing yesterday in the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, government attorneys said the agency expects to get the OK from its inspector general on Wednesday that would allow it to begin the controversial cross border trucking experiment.

The agency “anticipates that the program will not begin before Thursday,†the U.S. Justice Department said in its response to a Teamsters union lawsuit that seeks an emergency injunction to block the border opening.

Attorneys for both sides said last night they had no indication of how soon the court might act.

The disclosure marks the first time the agency has publicly given a specific date when the long-delayed program might begin.

The government court filing said that on the first day of the program only two Mexican carriers operating a total of seven trucks will be granted permission to cross the border.

One is Luciano Padilla Martínez, a Tijuana-based company that said it will send five trucks into the United States.

The other firm that would get immediate operating authority is Fernando Páez Treviño, a carrier in Apodaca, Nuevo Leon.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters in February announced plans for a one-year pilot program to test the safety of Mexican trucks in the United States. The agency now appears on the verge of commencing the project, in which up to 100 pre-approved Mexican carriers would be able to send hundreds of trucks throughout the United States for the first time since 1982.

American truckers who receive approval from the Mexican government would be able to travel in Mexico for the first time under the program.

The Bush administration is pushing to start the experiment as soon as possible as a step toward a wider opening of the border to commercial traffic, as required in the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Critics, including several trucking and safety organizations and dozens of lawmakers, complain the administration has failed to guarantee the trucks will be safe.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, blasted the Department of Transportation for “demonstrating complete disregard for the safety of vehicle motorists and the security threat created by granting Mexican truckers unrestricted access into the United States.â€

He accused the agency of ignoring congressional requirements.

“We feel like we have met the requirements,†said John H. Hill, who oversees the program as administrator of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. He added that an upcoming assessment from the inspector general might identify some “issues and concerns†that the agency will have to address.

The pilot program cannot go forward until the inspector general certifies it has met congressional requirements.

Hill said the agency also must file a report with Congress responding to the assessment before it can start.

The inspector general's office has confidentially briefed congressional staff about the upcoming report this week.

One staff member familiar with the briefings said the inspector general had some concerns but they were “not huge issues.â€

The lawsuit filed by the Teamsters and a handful of other groups Wednesday alleges the agency has failed to comply with several congressional requirements – including giving U.S. carriers simultaneous access to Mexican highways and marshaling a statistically valid sample of drivers for the project.

The government responded that the project will satisfy all congressional requirements, while requiring Mexican carriers to pass pre-certification inspections and comply with the same requirements as American truck drivers.

In an interview, Hill said no Mexican trucks would be allowed to cross the border until U.S. trucks get the same privilege.

“We will not start it unless Mexico grants authority at the same time†to U.S. truckers, he said.

The agency defended its sample of up to 100 carriers, which it said is one-tenth of the number of Mexican trucking companies that applied to cross the border.

The agency estimated the 100 carriers would send 540 trucks into the United States.

The government said further delays to the program could jeopardize diplomatic and trade relations with Mexico.

Hill said up to 44 Mexican trucks would come into the United States in the first few days of the program. “And by month's end, maybe a tota of 174,†he added.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The government said further delays to the program could jeopardize diplomatic and trade relations with Mexico.

Why do you suppose the US Gov't is always kowtowing to Mexico? They should be the country worrying about jeopardizing diplomatic and trade relations with the US of A

FireGears

Expert Expediter
Why do you suppose the US Gov't is always kowtowing to Mexico?

Ma'am and sir,

IMHO ...

Could the word "OIL" have anything to do with it.???

Yes, I realize that we do not use a lot of oil from Mexico...

BUT, if our other oil connections dried up
Mexican oil might become VERY necessary...

STAY FROSTY .. ;-)

plus ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only imagine the paranoia back when the first Canadian trucks could take freight out of the U.S. Did the sky fall???

I know the U.S is a mighty country but can it stand on it's own as in support itself economically? In todays world market.

I would be more afraid of that country to the north of you that doesn't really need the U.S's help.
Canada controls 85% of the worlds fresh water also is energy self-sufficent.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"I can only imagine the paranoia back when the first Canadian trucks could take freight out of the U.S. Did the sky fall???"

Yea actually it did, fell right on my foot!

Seriously, there was less of an impact due to the things that bond us together, one is language and the other is our origin, we both came from England. Mexico, does not treat us like England has treated us, we haven't fought two major wars with them and their roots are Spanish with a serious language barrier.

"I know the U.S is a mighty country but can it stand on it's own as in support itself economically? In todays world market."

I completely disagree with the world market cr*p, we are not a world market here - we are a domestic market but our companies are multi-national and have no problem competing out side of this market. We are not like the EU or Asia where the domestic markets are closely controlled and the companies depend on the sales outside the home market to sustain them. We are just the opposite, everyone wants to sell in the US market because this is where the money is and our auto companies lack products to compete with others because they don't understand the domestic market. I go back to my meat industry comment, the US consumer has no clue what quality is, they are driven to purchase only by price.

I would be more afraid of that country to the north of you that doesn't really need the U.S's help.
Canada controls 85% of the worlds fresh water also is energy
self-sufficent.

Is this why we sell them energy and take their garbage?
If you take the shared waterways out of the equation, what is the percentage then?

Self-sufficient? OK if you say so.

Just kidding, yep Canada is blessed with the hydro plants and water but they also have other problems which makes them just like the rest of the world.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Self sufficient meaning "oil" and "refining" Canada pumps more then it needs.

Canada's energy status today
Canada today is the eighth-largest producer of crude oil and natural gas liquids (NGLs) in the world, with about three million oil-equivalent barrels a day of production in 2003. It is also the world's third-largest producer of natural gas, with about 6.5 trillion cubic feet a year, the equivalent of about three million barrels a day of crude oil.

Canadian consumers and industries (including the petroleum industry itself) consume about 2.1 million barrels a day of crude oil and NGLs and 3.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas a year, the equivalent of about 1.5 million barrels of crude oil a day.

Canada is a net exporter of all forms of energy, including crude oil, natural gas and refined petroleum products such as gasoline and fuel oil. Imports to Eastern Canada are outweighed by exports from Western Canada, primarily to the United States. On a net, oil-equivalent basis, about one-quarter of Canada's crude oil production is exported, while about one-half of both natural gas and NGL production volumes are exported.

Canada is the largest single supplier of petroleum to the United States.

These exports make a major contribution to Canada's international trade revenues and the country's ongoing economic growth. In total, Canada's energy exports (including electricity) in 2002 amounted to almost $47 billion -- more than half of the country's total merchandise trade surplus. Canada is also by far the largest single supplier of petroleum -- in the form of crude oil, natural gas and refined products -- to the United States (Saudi Arabia is a distant second).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
They are buying U.S energy partly due to so many reactors being mothballed by a previous government and many due for upgrade but in the last 6 months 5 reactore at Darlington have come online....add to this that the coal fired genenators are being shutdown.

Canada is one of the most fortunate nations when it comes to available freshwater: Canada has only 0.5% of the world's population, but its landmass contains approximately 9% of the world's renewable water supply (i.e. water replenished by precipitation on a short-term basis)

yep your right they have issues as well...

And hey Michigan chose to BUY Torontos' garbage!!!!
And I thought Lansing was full of garbage!!! *L*

While Brazil, which is self-sufficient in oil, charges US$ 0.91 a liter (US$ 3.44 a gallon) for premium gasoline, and Venezuelans pay 4 cents a liter (15 cents a gallon), Uruguay with no oil or gas reserves has the highest fuel prices in Latin America: US$ 1.35 a liter (US$ 5.10 a gallon).

Compare this to the top values such as Holland where premium at the pump costs US$ 1.91 a liter (US$ 7.22 a gallon) Norway, 1.84 and Italy, 1.76 US dollars per liter.. Americans, on the other hand, are paying in average US$ 3.09 a gallon for the product.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Could the word "OIL" have anything to do with it.???

It could, but cheap labor is the major factor. With all of the manufacturing and assembly being done in Mexico, U.S. companies are saving huge amounts of money on labor. Unfortunately transportation costs are reducing profits. Why not use cheap Mexican based transportation and save even more money.

I remember in the late 1970's Canadian trucks coming through Minnesota from the western provinces with those oval home heating fuel tanks attached to the truck frame behind the cab.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Back to the issue...

OVM... No, the sky didn't fall with Canadian drivers coming over. But you know what? When they did, we were on the same page. Made it a heckuva lot easier. The Mexicans? Are they part of IFTA? Do they have to pay the road use taxes you and I do? We've already mentioned they can come here with their fuel, so I don't believe they'll be reporting anything. And to count on our government to enforce this is like asking the Dems in Congress to clean their house. Ain't gonna happen while Bush is in office, as he's a Mexican suckass.

What does this tell you? It tells me that once again, Mexicans will have an unfair advantage on OUR SOIL. There's no ME in NAFTA, but there is in MExico.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember in the late 1970's Canadian trucks coming through Minnesota from the western provinces with those oval home heating fuel tanks attached to the truck frame behind the cab.

Hey that was me!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Finally

Fox News had a 3 second blurb about the Mexican Trucks coming next week.

They probably won't need IFTA. There was a news story a month ago that these trucks were adding fuel tanks to round trip their runs. Not bad for them on paying no fuel tax and a pump price of 1.25 to 1.50 a gallon. Of course it is non compliant EPA fuel.
And of course John Edwards is worried about people driving SUV's.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For all of you ripping George Bush in this post, I have to ask which George Bush are you refering to: George H. Bush or George W. Bush. Remember that the ground work for NAFTA was laid in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Our 42nd president's signature is on the NAFTA documents.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first one for getting us into this mess and the second one for not protecting our borders and our sovereignty. Frankly they are both an embarrassment in that regard.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't see anyone from either party helping, or the trucking industry. We have to help ourselves, but we won't. We will file lawsuits,injunctions, stays etc and in it will still happen. Let's all vote out everyone and put in dead frogs, they won't stink as bad as what we have in there now. Layoutshooter

MissouriNewbie

Seasoned Expediter
Why should we worry I know that as much as I have been DOT'ed in the past few months that if Mexican trucks aren't up to our standards which I seriously Doubt! they will be flying off the road just as quick as they got started.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
They may have a hands off DOT requirement when they head north. Ever thought of that, stranger things have happened
Chuck

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
No, but our Pres is in bed with Mexico, as it seems. If not why don't he do something about the illegals
Chuck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OMG OVM, I said I was joking around... talk about... never mind, good reading though.

My concern is nothing to do with anything but safety. I mean being on the border for almost a month I didn't see the junk that I saw at some of the truck stops sitting next to me. I saw a lot of nicely kept older trucks and saw a lot of ones with DOT numbers on them - as I posted a while ago.

But safety is my concern, there is no guarantee that these truck will be as safe on our roads....

ah...

there is no guarantee that the Mexicans.....

er....

well it don't matter where bad drivers come from, no one has yet pointed out that there is a difference between a driver from Mexico and one from the states who can't drive their rig properly. I have seen some really bad things done by American truckers and I think that a few need to be taken off the road but again I think that we need to start pointing out the bad before we have more regulations forced on us.