Largest sign on Bonus I've ever seen

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Merely an ovberstation, but I would bet the acceptance rate will be nearly 100% in order to receive that bonus.

I don't think so as the sign on bonus for the six trucks we added before they rolled out this one wasn't. That one was geared more towards in service and how many loads the truck did. To get the bonus you had to have done 72 loads in 180 days, which is 12 loads a month. Most of our team trucks do around 18 to 20 a month. Our one D-unit did 18 loads and $19,500.00 last month on 10,500 loaded miles and its just a dry box. Those are good numbers for January.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bruno, $19500 for 10500 miles looks respectable only IF unladen miles were right. Since you threw it out here, what were the TOTAL miles. I don't do empty and loaded miles since I came to expediting. In this game any mile is a mile.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
$19,500 is good for Jan. when you say our 1 D unit, do you mean our Best D unit or our Only D unit. Not bustin' on ya: just trying to figure the real potential at Panther.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not sure I follow? As for Panther's, can't really comment as I just heard about it Friday without all the specifics.

Well here is what I'm getting at.

The market of drivers/owners seems to be saturated and a lot of bad ones are floating around while they go from one company to another, a company like Panther is going through a lot of them to find people who perform well. The shortcut is the incentive of a sign on bonus which then they can filter out the people during a period of making them preform at a level that is acceptable. This way, if the bonus is say at the end of a year of service, they will get the service they want while the driver/owner is on his best behavior. If they have to during that year to cut the driver/owner loose, they can but chances are many will stay on to get that bonus.

What Panther should do is to look at ways to increase revenue and limit the truck fleet, the bonus is a quick fix for the problem while revenue increases do more to retain drivers/owners.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Bruno, $19500 for 10500 miles looks respectable only IF unladen miles were right. Since you threw it out here, what were the TOTAL miles. I don't do empty and loaded miles since I came to expediting. In this game any mile is a mile.

18 loads for $19,606.05. The loaded miles was 10,478 and the total miles was 12,915 which is $1.51 a mile for all miles. Oh this was the third highest grossing truck for us in the month of January, it was just at the top of our truck list with Panther.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well here is what I'm getting at.

The market of drivers/owners seems to be saturated and a lot of bad ones are floating around while they go from one company to another, a company like Panther is going through a lot of them to find people who perform well. The shortcut is the incentive of a sign on bonus which then they can filter out the people during a period of making them preform at a level that is acceptable. This way, if the bonus is say at the end of a year of service, they will get the service they want while the driver/owner is on his best behavior. If they have to during that year to cut the driver/owner loose, they can but chances are many will stay on to get that bonus.

What Panther should do is to look at ways to increase revenue and limit the truck fleet, the bonus is a quick fix for the problem while revenue increases do more to retain drivers/owners.

Think they are trying to hit it from both ends. They did raise the rate per mile (not sure on vans) and went to paying all DH miles. May be more to come.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Think they are trying to hit it from both ends. They did raise the rate per mile (not sure on vans) and went to paying all DH miles. May be more to come.
Hey Dave what is the pay scale for Straight trucks now, fleet owned and O/O?

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We have only waited 12 hours between loads/acceptable offers since 12/27 start date. Paid all miles, paid detention automatically if s/c holds us up. Excellent relations/ service from all lines of dispatch, elite, lifescience, surface. Courteous, not in your face attitudes. No better than you conversations. We drive tractor trailer w/reefer trailer. For Bruno. The best owner we have had in our Expediting career going on three years, most with purple laces. Huge difference in culture. Kitties play nice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Rates depend on what qualifications someone has and whether they are on a flat rate. The low end I believe is 1.20 and the high end is 1.35. plus fsc. for loaded miles. Reefers are 1.55 to 1.75 I believe. At the end of the day, I look at it like a business. No plans on moving because I don't currently see a carrier out there that can consistently generate over 200k per dry straight truck.
Some at a percentage may get a higher rate from time to time, but it is the consistency that makes the difference.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Mine's consistent for two years, Dave.
I don't dispute that. I guess I am looking at it acrossed many trucks. Short of maybe Landstar (not really fleet friendly) most of the time to get to that number it seems you are adding axles, liftgates, reefers, and other expenses that I prefer not to mess with.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No problem. Not trying to put a hammer on any specific carrier. Just going by what we have been able to actually verify.
Like anything, the information can change.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dave and Bruno for sharing numbers. Sometimes if you're in a comfortable position the world can pass you by if you're not paying attention. It's good to know what's available. I,like many others ,would like to know full details on the bonus.

MESSENGER7

Active Expediter
Hello everyone... Some detailed info would be much appreciated,for i am seeking advice and info about panther expedited.i have some idea based on recruiter info but you know how that can go..maybe alittle one sided.so i dygress,weekly miles for a team with hazmat,liftgate,passport. Pay per mile and actual loaded miles/wk?? Anyone...? Thanks in advance

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Hello everyone... Some detailed info would be much appreciated,for i am seeking advice and info about panther expedited.i have some idea based on recruiter info but you know how that can go..maybe alittle one sided.so i dygress,weekly miles for a team with hazmat,liftgate,passport. Pay per mile and actual loaded miles/wk?? Anyone...? Thanks in advance

The base rates starts out at $1.20 per miles with .05 increase for each thing you have. Are you a team, do you have a lift gate, can you go to Canada, do you have Hat Mat, are you government Cleared, is the truck a reefer. The best way to fined out is call 800-685-0657.