Laptop 348$

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Tomorrow Acer Laptops 348$ advertised...think they go on sale Friday. Great price decent laptop...will make that money back from use in no time.

-charlotte

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I love my laptop and now I wouldn't run without one. It is an essential tool in todays world, not only for mapping & navigation, but also for record keeping and keeping in touch with friends. I ran into a deal where I bought 3 Dell laptops that were a year old for $700. Kept one for myself, sold one to my bro and sold the other one and made my money back.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Walmart - you might have to go to walmart.com, and click on 'secret specials' or someting like that, not sure.

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I both bought Acer's in March of this year. She has a travelmate 8210, and I have a Aspire 5580. The IT guy at here factory turned us on to buying them, and he is absoluty thrilled about the computers.

Pro's

-Centrino processor is fast and can multi task well.
-Both of our computer's included nice media packages and have nice lcd screens for easy viewing.
-Acer tech support is good, not the quickest in the world, but they stand behind their product.
-Acer offers a program they install on all of their computers that allows you to speed up most used programs, set all of you setting, control batter life, ect from one screen.
-Built in web cams have nice picture quality.
-Battery life for the 8210 is outstanding for a laptop.
-Computer's come with a full array of programs for just about everything you'll need to do what a computer.
-Acer has a built in recover system, that in the event of a crash, they can TRY and recover the computer (they won't tell you this is there, until you have a major issue and call tech support for help)

Con's

-Not sure if they can handle the vibration and abuse of the road. Mine has had two hard drives and a mother board installed since March of this year. Actually Acer has had the computer more than I have.
-Tech support is SLOW.. If you send it in, don't expect to get to get your computer back for a few weeks. Or longer..
-If you have a issue and it has to be sent in, you have to pay to have it shipped for repair.
-Battery life on the 5580 is about 20 minutes. Can be stretched out to an hour if you set all options to maximize battery life.

I know this post was just about the computer being on sale, but thought I would let everyone know what my experience thus far has been with Acer's. They are all around a good computer. And when mine when into the shop for the second time, they exstended my warranty out for another two years. So they do stand behind their product. I went ahead and bought the exstended warranty on the wife's also, just in case.. LOL

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
unless something has changed within acer i would be leery. granted this was 10 yrs ago but the wife bought a brand new top of the line acer in say 96. as it was used more we added extra drives. after doing so we had many problems with the computer which was bought at best ---. soon after she started working for CDW and took the unit to the in house techs. they determined that that this was not a new computer for the new windows but new windows dropped on a previous platform in a new box. later on there was a class action suit against acer for this deception. i think this litigation is still out there.

Jack Berry

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Lots has changed for acer as well as all laptops....your experience 10 years ago was common for laptops in general....348$ is a great price for a very decent product.

-charlotte

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
I bought one of these laptops this morning. It seems like a very good value. They were out of them by 0900. Intel Celeron @ 1.7 ghz, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hd, vista home basic, cd/dvd rw, b/g wireless card, 15.4" screen with a nice bright display. They also had Toshiba HD DVD players for $98. The kids will be eating tomato soup and pop corn for the next month, but I will be to busy watching movies and surfing the internet to notice.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I heard people being interviewed that some Walmarts were selling out of them before the public could get them.

A few in NJ and NY were letting employees and vendors (the people who stock the shelves for Coke and others) were buying them before they were put on the shelves.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I went to Walmart this morning and bought one of these
computers. I am going to take it back. Not that I found anything
wrong with it, It just doesn't have a slot for my air card.

Nice looking laptop though.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
"I went to Walmart this morning and bought one of these
computers. I am going to take it back. Not that I found anything
wrong with it, It just doesn't have a slot for my air card. "

I think that is something I might would have checked before spending 400 bux....anyway... dont forget 7 ( maybe 14 )day return policy on computers at walmart.

if you get stuck with it send me an im, might help you out with it

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
These were sealed in a box and you could not see them. I didn't have
the model # to research it before I bought it.
I was told of the 15 day return period and I now have my $372.00
back in my pocket. Contrary to what you may think, I am not an
idiot. But, thanks for all your help / advice.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
As with many laptops now....since the advent of USB everything....there is not a pcmcia slot. However I think you will find if you talk to your network provider, those cards are going out now and the new USB laptop cards are great. We have one with alltel since we noticed many more laptops being made with just the express slots...and not many express cards around. If you are attached to your pcmcia cards..you amy wantt o start looking for alternatives now.

-charlotte