Landstar Express America

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
As many know, LEAM is part of the hugh mothership(Landstar), but a seperate company. We were notified recently that Leam is being made a part of the carrier group. In the past if we wanted to haul a Landstar load to move out of a dead area, we could but at a greatly reduced rate. Now we will be able to do so at the regular rate. Also, the new system will also allow the Landstar agts to see an expediter tkk that they previously couldn't see. This post may only make sense if you have driven for Leam before. I see this as a positive move, appreciate others comments.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
but as of the moment sister company freight will only be paid at express rates not carrier rates which are 11% higher than express, I cannot figure out why we will not get the carrier rates for the same freight as ranger still isn't the big happy family Mr. Crowe once talked about

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do know what you are referring to and see it as a positive for those signed on with LEAM, especially those with trucks with extended capabilities such as heavier capacity etc..

As I understand it, the old system was if the customer paid $1000 then Ranger (or whichever) got $380 and the $620 that would go to the truck was then passed to LEAM. LEAM then got $235.60 (620*.38) leaving $384.40 to the LEAM truck that hauled the freight. That often wasn't enough to be worthwhile even for moving to another area.

If I understand the follow up correctly it would now pay $551.80 (89% of $1000 minus 38% to LEAM) to the truck hauling the freight. I don't understand why they are taking 11% away but it's certainly an improvement at least.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
riverrat I guess you have better info than I have; I was told we would get the full rate, however, the new lease we were just required to sign said 62 %, does that mean ranger guys get our rate or theirs if they haul our stufff...CONFUSING

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
"confusing" thats the way the glass palace likes it I am not sure that the rate for sister co. freight is cast in stone, but if it is bco days in January should be a record turnout for LEAM bcos I would be willing to bet that corporate is not looking foreward to it,should be interesting and entertaining to say the least.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Was the LEAM rate 67% a couple of years ago? What is the Ranger rate for a guy that owns his own 53' trailer?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
express rates are 62%,ranger with your own trailer was 73% of 98% I think it is still the same.basically for the past few years leam was giving us 62% of 80% they started that because there was so many bco"s making more money on sister company freight that there wasn't enough of us available to run express freight, as we all know though times have changed in landstar and the industry as a whole. I do applaud corporate for realizing the fact that the industry has changed and they are changing with it,I do worry that they will muck it all up though,if done right LEAM drivers are going to see the agent base expand on the order of 10 times what we have now and expedite should explode. It won't happen overnight but as the ranger agents start getting used to selling expedited along with everything else to their customers there should be a large increse in freight opportunities. I personally hardly ever bothered with sister company freight even when we did get the 73% the issue I have is that they are not giving us equal percentages for the same work if shouldn't matter what truck it fits onto as they get the same gross for the load so we shouldn't get dinged for being a straight truck or even a van, gets me worried that they will muck it up with them thinking this way about the percentages. Any other landstar bcos here have an opinion???

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Now Landstar LEAM BCOs will have 6 or 7 thousand in house trucks competing for their frieght.
The good news is that LEAM drivers now can compete against Ranger and Inway drivers for the handful of 20 to 60 cents per mile LTL frieght that show up every day on the carrier group site.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I am willing to bet that there will be very few ranger drivers willing to take an expedited load, mainly because the will refuse to run for 62% and the few agents that were dual agents have told me that they don't like using ranger drivers because the will not deliver on time, another reason is that most ranger drivers do not have qc so they will not be getting any loads as they cannot be tracked. I really believe that the LEAM BCO's will come out WAY ahead, IF it is done right if it isn't it will be a train wreak.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
They seem to be somewhat fragmented.

You have too many layers to sift through. There is a corporate layer with multiple departments, a broker layer that is spread out over the entire continent and a recruiter layer that corporate always wants you to contact.

Without centralized operations, with subsequent controls, this move seems to only add another layer.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
For a Ranger driver to throw a couple of skids on the back of his already loaded truck for $1.15 per mile going the same direction that he is already going to me would seem like an attractive deal.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I personally like not having a central dispatch. I m not saying they don't work but I've seen too many where favortism leaks in, pay back for refusing a load etc. I read too many posts on here about acceptance ratios, turn down ratios,being TOLD where to go or where to sit and so on. The mother ship is not the "end all", but it seems to work if you enjoy a little more freedom in how you run your bus.. I changed to a 53 van w/liftgate, so I'm hopeful the change will be positive or Im back to a 28 pup. Sorry to ramble.:)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just a question for LEAM BCOs from a curious outsider; how much freight booked through LEAM is exclusive use freight (entire truck dedicated to the load)? Am I getting it right that at least some of the freight at LEAM is comingled freight (multiple shippers and multiple stops on the same run)?

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
it doesn't happen often but if all parties agree we do get double loaded sometimes,once some years ago I was even lucky enough to get quad loaded out of Laredo and eagle pass going into northern Ohio, got to say that was the best run I ever had. Most of the time though it is exclusive use.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Looking at the LEAM web site, I see temperature-control freight services are also advertised. I have never seen a LEAM reefer truck on the road. Are there some? How much temp-control and/or TVAL freight does LEAM handle?

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Phil,

There are several reefer units with LEAM. Oddly enough, they seem to have all come from FedEx. We have some friends at LEAM who run reefer loads on a regular basis. For over a year they had a dedicated Temp. controlled run from east coast to west coast and back.
They are in a "D" unit but most reefer loads seem to be more suited to a "C" box.
How many reefer trucks at LEAM, I have no idea, but a LEAM recruiter could possibly give you that info.

Danny

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Randy Harris is one of the LEAM recruiters. I've visited with him at shows and talked to him by phone a couple of times. He has been very straight forward and doesn't pull any smoke or mirrors into conversations. He stays very busy so sometimes it takes a little while to hear back but I'd certainly consider him the one to talk to. I think his number is 866-442-0622 but I'm sure the main LEAM number can put you in contact with him. He'd be able to get exact and accurate information on any questions.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you, LDB, Packmule and Riverrat2000. While we are happy at FedEx Custom Critical and have no reason to consider other carriers, Landstar Express America has always been our plan B company. It is nice to see that more than one carrier is doing high-end reefer freight and that we have options with a truck that has nowhere near the carrier flexibility a tractor has.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
My wife and I also run a D Unit which is reefer equipped for Landstar. While we do not use it (temp control) as much as we would like there are many times when we have been in an area with several empty trucks and we get the load because it requires temp control.

The same can be said for having a liftgate and also tag axle.

I know this is straying from the original subject of the thread.

Many of you LEAM folks know Jessica in Rockford. My wife questioned her about the new system. Her response was, "YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT."

I certainly hope she is right and we look forward to giving it a shot.

Be careful out there everyone.

Cliff and Tami
D Unit Team
18 Wheeler Team 8 years
D Unit Team 4 years :) :) :) :) :)