Laguna Burger, Laguna Indian Reservation New Mexic

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Last weekend I had a load from Erlanger, KY to Springerville, AZ (desert). On my way I stopped at the Laguna Superette in Laguna NM. It is off of I-40 and is part of the Laguna Indian Reservation.

I got gas and went inside because there was a sign on the gas pump about a "Laguna Burger." Inside, I found a small bar seating area where the 'restaurant' section was. I ordered a Laguna Burger and some fries. When I was told it would be about 15 minutes, I was really shocked. Obviously I was not at McD's.

I was tempted to tell them to forget it...I mean, holy cow, don't they have anything better to do in NM than wait 15 minutes for a piece of cow? They made it fresh right in front of me.

I am really glad I waited. It was the best burger I have had in a long time. I don't even know what all was on it, but it sure was good. Definitely a first rate, fast food squat and gobble.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Laguna Burger, Laguna Indian Reservation New M

Often times the little out of the way greasy spoon joint has the best food. Certainly a nice change from the coast to coast chain retaurants. It is even becoming more difficult to find regional food at truck stops as the chain mentallity continues to devour the independents.

prescat

Expert Expediter

I'm always tempted to check out the smaller local places featuring "authentic home cooked food". With that said, I won't eat at a place like that unless I can see where they are cooking the food. It's usually a good indication of other storage and cleanliness procedures. I learned my lesson about 6 years ago, (coincidently in New Mexico I think), when I stopped in to a cool looking little mom and pop Mexican resataurant. (My weakness is Mexican food, the spicier the better). Anyway, it resulted in the second of 2 times in my life I got food sickness. Maybe it was just bad luck, but atleast with a lot of the franchise chains, etc, they generally have standard food handling and storage procedures and corporate checks about equip temps, storage procedures. Ofcourse it's not a guarantee, but most people will be tempted to do the right thing when others are looking over their shoulder. (I also will never use a supermarket/store salad bar. Only one that's attended or out in the open of a restaurant). I can't afford to get sick on the road.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

While stuck in Atlanta for truck maintenance/repair recently, I was watching tv, and saw that one station posts restaurant scores on cleanliness, food handling & storage, etc. A great idea - I wish more would publicize the info. THAT'S information we can use!