Keys

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Back up plan. Had to use my second set of keys for a back up, lost them up in NY fell off my belt loop in the snow back tracked spent about an hour no luck.
Get comfortable with a set of keys and the back ups just do not feel the same, and that security of knowing theres a spare set is gone. Parinoid is the word for how you feel everytime I felt for the keys and not there since they were a belt hook type.
I would very much reccomended people to buy the leather strap with the hook attatched so that it secures the set of keys, that attatches to your belt. My other I used with a ring that hooked to belt loop on my jeans. Thats how I lost it it must of grabbed the belt loop and come loose.
I now have two spare sets and an extra igintion key with me at all times of course hidden, cannot lock keys inside of a KW. I came out cheap but what a hassle KW dealer for blanks than forgot about the fuel tanks so back I went two trips to the lock smith than back to the truck to make sure they all fit and than figure out all of the keys making sure they are all on the right key loops.
Make sure you have a back up set and keep one set at home, if I were to be dumb enough to (and I could be) at least my wife could overnight me the emergency, emergency set.
It was a sick feeling even though I knew I had the spare set in the truck. How did I get in, always carry the spare ignition in my pocket.
Even I can admit I do dumb things

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I get out of the truck, I always check to see if my keys are in my pocket before I lock the door. One key stays in the ignition all the time, so my door key stays in my pocket. Also, I have a big keychain with another set in my coat pocket, if I'm wearing one. I've learned how stupid I look when my keys are locked in the truck :p

T-hawk
"When you get hurt and miss work, it doesn't hurt to miss work." - Yogi Bera

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I use to have a backup set, lost them in Canada. Got to the Delivery point and had to get the tools out and unbolt the latches on the barn door (my old truck) then tie the doors up until I got to house.
Now I carry one full set on a leather strap on belt and long enough to go into right front pocket, second set is in left front pocket, and it is the working set. Third, did I say third, yep is just the ignition key, it's home is in the ignition.
Tried to make spare ignition key for Karin but it did not work. If she treats me well I might try again, afterall she does owne da truck. ( formerly known as the truck )

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have my keys on a carabiner that I clip to a belt loop. Once I clip it on then I pull on it to be sure it's secure. I also carry the second key in my pocket for the times, yes times, when I lock the others in the truck. I'm going to get another pair of keys made when I can and leave one at home and have a third with me.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
I use a two-stage backup system for keys.
I routinely carry a set of keys on a ring inside one pocket.
I also carry one key to the doors tucked away inside my billfold (which I religiously -- almost always -- keep inside one certain pocket -- a second pocket).
For many years I too left one key in the switch constantly.
Due to the increasing theft I no longer leave one there.
When I leave the truck (unless Marda is inside), I stop the engine, remove the key from the switch, lock the door(s), and place that key into a third pocket.
Unless I make a mistake (by leaving one key inside the truck or by losing one somewhere), then I have with me three keys in three different pockets -- the single key from the switch, the key on the ring, and the single key inside the billfold.
I also keep a complete emergency set of keys hidden inside the sleeper -- and another one at home.
Even this system is not completely foolproof, but it's closer.
Doc.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i use to keep a keep in box as it was cheater to cut lock on back door
now my wife has a key if i need one call her to bring key to me
but if i ever have to never hear the end of and will pay dearly for it

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I did just as you all said thats how I got into the truck, iginition key hidden spare set in my pocket. Main set fell off of my belt loop. I figured most of you smarter more expierenced than me, just did not figure they were gone forever. Still one sick feeling until I worked things out in my head and reassured myself I was not as dumb as I felt. (Still had a spare set) Do not feel comfortable out there with only one set for all of the X-tra locks etc..
Another big lesson learned, now there are two in the truck, plus an igintion, plus another whole set at home.
Good thing the doctor made sure my head is welded on or I'd loose it to.

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
I to had a few sets of keys on my person but to be safe I took another key and used two wire ties and placed it inside the engine compartment so if all else failed I just opened the hood and cut the wire ties. Used to be a company tt otr driver.
company tt otr driver 3 yrs
car wash quick lube mgr 3 (too many) years

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
>I to had a few sets of keys on my person but to be safe I
>took another key and used two wire ties and placed it inside
>the engine compartment so if all else failed I just opened
>the hood and cut the wire ties.

I did the same thing with our spare keys for our cars. Then one day *it* happened, (temporarily) lost my set of keys. They finally turned up, but in the meantime I tried to get the spare from under the hood, and *duhhhhhhhh* I couldn't open the hood because the latch to open it was inside the car!
The best laid schemes ‘o mice and men...

Larry Badger
Plainwell, Michigan
Future expediting company driver
Stay-at-home Dad, 2000-
25 years self-employed in landscaping business

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why go through all that!!! Too much work. Just call On-Star and they'll open it with the push of a button!!! No need to thank me for such a good Idea, Call Geico!!!

Lonleyboy515

Expert Expediter
I learned a longtime ago about having 2sets of keys on me at all times.I had my new 6 month old puppy with me we were in Chicago making a del.It was a hot day in July left the truck running air conditioning running and dog in cab,made del.The dog was so happy to see me he got up to the window and pushed the button down on the door.There i was locked out of the truck no extra keys.I called AAA it is a good thing to have recomend it to every body.

JACK

FLEET OWNER
20YEARS OTR
15YEARS EXPEDITE

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I keep my spare keys under one the running light lenses on top of the cab, or inside one of the outside lights somewhere.(one ignition,one door). I tape them together, and tape them down to the body under the lens, so they won´t move. I can always find a screw driver to get at them. The belt ring I use, I always make sure the extension from the belt to the ring, is long enough to go in my pocket, so if it falls, it falls into my pocket.Haven´t had a key problem in years, even if I locked them in the truck.
On my car, I use the little magnet box, and stuff it up behind the bumper bracket, so it can´t be seen from underneath. When retrieving it (which I´ve done several times)I have to lay on the ground and "U" my fingers to get at it. I´ve hidden it there for years. No problem.