Kentucky used truck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are using it in interstate commerce, it would be tax exempt. If you purchased it from a dealer, they would have the forms. Requirements will vary by state. Some will want your operating authority information or if leased to a carrier, a copy of the lease from the carrier.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Florida and Kentucky charge sale tax on interstate commerce vehicles. I still think there is one or two more. I can't find the article but I just asked a dealer in KY.

Mudduck

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks tobster317. I got my apportioned certificate yesterday and did have to pay sales tax. It sucks but it's done. Waiting on lease agreement and will be good to go on my cab card.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a team. I worked for them as a team. We did good but we had a fully loaded truck. All WG

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mudduck, I'm very hard headed and like my money.
My last suggestion is to call the dealer and ask why they told you no sales tax.
Dealer says no tax.
Dave KC ( smartest guy on EO) said probably no tax.
BigStickJr ( eighth smartest guy on EO) said probably no tax.
For the amount involved I'd call the dealer one last time.

Of little comfort, it's a tax write-off.

Reactions: Treadmill

Mudduck

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I was told that there had never been sales tax paid on this truck in Ky since it had been licensed in Tn and that was the reason I had to pay them. I have called everyone I could think of because I sure didn't want to fork over $4100. I did bite the bullet yesterday and pay it just so I can get this thing going. You can bet the farm that that will be the first thing I tell my CPA to add to my taxes....lol. Thank you guys for all the help. Glad to be getting into expediting and work with a great group of people like you all. Big thanks to TheCraftyTrucker for getting this post started.