Keeping warm @ night

legit1

Active Expediter
I recently got offered a cargo van position, but the owner does not allow idling. I would like to get advice from other cargo van drivers who drive for owners that do not allow idling @ night.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

legit1

Active Expediter
Do you guys have any better options? I want to run solo only, cdl b and I have a passport for Canada runs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Try putting an add in the free EO classifieds. You can put your qualifications, what kind of truck(s) you can drive etc. There are ALWAYS owners looking for drivers.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Please check out the classifieds on this site. Their are owners with Espar heaters that will keep you warm and comfortable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you want to drive for a fleet owner, drive a straight truck. If you want to drive a cargo van, drive your own.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
If you want to drive for a fleet owner, drive a straight truck. If you want to drive a cargo van, drive your own.

Unless you're just trying out the company to make sure it's a good fit before you buy your own.

;)

If so, set yourself a time limit. But don't drive for anyone who won't provide you heat or allow you to idle.

Dale
Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I recently got offered a cargo van position, but the owner does not allow idling. I would like to get advice from other cargo van drivers who drive for owners that do not allow idling @ night.

that owner must be Harry Reed and his wifes name is Nancy. Now my 2cents,,,that owner is full of blankety and other stuff....

legit1

Active Expediter
Yeah, I plan on buying my own truck, but I want to gain more experience and I also want to try expediting out to see if I want to make that investment.

legit1

Active Expediter
Nope, it's not Harry. It's a panther fleet owner.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle's right,you know. If you're driving for someone else and you've got the cdl, driving a straight is the way to go. The margins on driving CVs are so thin that by the time you divide between the owner and the driver--- nobody got nuthin. Then on already paper thin proceeds somebody has to maintain the van--- there's gonna be problems. The owner is forbidding idling because it's expensive and there's already not much margin.

I have a Big Buddy heater, that helps. You must have the windows open about an inch or so if you use one of these things, but it does allow me to keep warm in my van without idling.

legit1

Active Expediter
Are big buddy heaters expensive? And how does one keep cool on the summer, without idling? Also, it's hard to find a gig for a solo straight truck driver as almost everyone wants teams. I refuse to run as a team with a complete stranger ever again! Teambadexperience.com

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
They run about 100-125...tank hose is 20 and inline filter..15..they will cook you out of a van...just remember to crack your front window an inch or two....cool w/ a generator and a/c..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

mzraik

Active Expediter
The owner is forbidding idling because it's expensive and there's already not much margin.

I have a Big Buddy heater, that helps. You must have the windows open about an inch or so if you use one of these things, but it does allow me to keep warm in my van without idling.

The other reason for not idling could be... Idling the newer Diesels leads to engine problems in short order. EGR's, DPF's, and other parts of the newer gen. diesels don't handle the idling with out gumming up stuff. And it's become too expensive to burn the fuel.

I too have heard of folks using the Buddy Heaters and there is more than one size.

I use a 12v electric blanket and a good sleeping bag, a few other blankets and I'm good to go.
The blanket heats for 30-45 minutes which seems to do the trick. I run a little differently than most, so this works for me. If I had to stay out like most, I'd go the Buddy route, too.

A/C in the summer is handled by my confabulation of a plastic ice box rigged up with a fan to blow air through the ice and it seems to do pretty well, even this last summer when it was killer hot. You can also buy them for inserts into a camping ice chest at most truck stops or online. I just happened to have the pieces parts and made my own.

I guess the point is, it depends on the type of running you do that drives the need for the equipment.

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I do not idle my van and what I have is this: I have an extra battery in the back that I disconnect from the main battery and run a 25$ electric blanket that works off a cigarette lighter adapter and I have a Buddy Heater with 20lb propane tank to use when the battery dies after 6 hours. I have idles once this year and this was in Chicago when it was 0 degrees.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those things do put out some heat!

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What kind of battery dies after 6 hours on an electric blanket? It's certainly not a battery designed for long, low amp draws, or one that's getting properly charged.

Firerescue20

Rookie Expediter
Ask him if they have a apu or the new line trucks that have battery packs. That's the only way for power overnight. If not then I'd say no to that position.