k and n

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
has anybody put k and n airfilters in there ford or gm truck.
Do they actually work==noticeable fuel savings

I have it in my Sprinter. Can't tell if it saves fuel or not. Seemed to have a little more power when I first put it in. I clean it often.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
People either swear by them or swear at them.

Some say they work great, some say they do not filter as well as regular filters and in the long term will do damage to your engine.

Some people claim that the oil in the filter works it's way through the intake and will eventually foul your mass airflow sensor and generally gum up the intake, however this may also be caused by over oiling the filter.

There is a lot of info on the net with comparisons that have been done and lots of forum banter both good and bad about them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
K&N filters shoudn't be used on Diesels. The silicon numbers in OAs increase by using it, which means more dirt gets into the engine.

Until GM, Ford, Cummins and especially MB certify the filter, I would just stick with the OEM style air filter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
K&N filters work, and they allow a larger volume of air into the engine. But, an engine is essentially an air pump. You can try to bring as much air as you want through the intake, but the engine is only going to take in what it can exhaust. So if the exhaust can't push the amount of air that the intake can pull....guess what? You've just wasted your money 'cause the engine won't suck in any more than it needs.

The bigger problem is, at least with a TDI engine, along with the larger volume of air that they let through, they let a significant amounts of silica dust through, as well. Silica is a fancy name for sand, turning the turbo into a very efficient sandblaster. Tons of hard data over at the TDI Forums on this.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have one in my ford gasser.I would say about a half a mile to the gallon,the real savings is not having to buy a air filter every 3 months or so.I've had the K&N almost 5 yrs and haven't bought a filter.I don't even know how much they are,gonna guess is around 20$ so if i recall the K&N was 80 or so.The K&N should pay for itself in a year,i also believe Fram makes on called a air hoog.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pretty much the same thing. Silica is an oxide of silicon. While silicon is the most abundant element in the Earth's crust (25% or something like that), it is rare to find it in pure form, and is most often in the silicon oxide form known as silica. But it's a very, very hard material, most often found in sand, and is why sandblasting works so well as an abrasive. It's just as hard and abrasive at the 5-10 micron dust level, which K&N filters let freely pass, as it is at the beach sand level.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Had one in my van for 50,000 miles, no mileage increase, just a deeper throaty sound when climbing hills, yes u save money on airfilters, but I threw it away, when at 50,000 miles u could see daylight through it, so it was not exactly trapping all the dust, so Im back to napa filters. My best mileage is at 62mph, mobil one oil, synthetic in rear end, and tcw3 additive to gas 2 cycle oil.

guido4475

Not a Member
I also have stuck with the paper filters as well, given the advice I have learned on here about K&n filters.About every 20,000 or so, I change them out, theyre about $13.00 each at Napa.Mine takes 2.

ronvais

Seasoned Expediter
It comes with a cool sticker!
Got it in my van. Don't really notice
Any difference. The reusable part is nice.
I think synthetic fluids, alignment, tire pressure, and things of that nature will do you more good. Also the way you drive is a huge factor.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I called k / n, they said most customers do not get an increase in mpg, just dont have to buy as many filters. The man that works on my van, said to use them for frisbees, so I did. I appears its a snake oil type of product.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want to save money on air filters buy a quality paper media filter and change it less often. At 20,000 miles and under "normal" driving conditions a paper filter is just reaching it's most efficient filtering level.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want to save money on air filters buy a quality paper media filter and change it less often. At 20,000 miles and under "normal" driving conditions a paper filter is just reaching it's most efficient filtering level.

That depends on the engine and how much air it sucks. By 20k my Powerstroke was ready for the filters to be changed. Sometimes the little turkey temperature thingy was even starting to move. On a gas engine I'm sure you could go much longer.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I reoil mine about once a year,when i had my last gasser and ran paper i was changing them about every 3 months or 20,000 miles as Moot said.I don't have the whole KN set up i just have the filter and like i said maybe a half a mile to the gallon diff.I have an ext top and doors so on a windy day i get killed MPG wise,i average around 16.I had a 7.3 diesel and i would not suggest them for that or any other diesel engine.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That depends on the engine and how much air it sucks.

You're right! I didn't consider a turbo diesel's air requirements. On my gasser I change the air filter about every 70k. I have never noticed "the little turkey temperature thingy" move much. I just change the filter about once a year. So far it has worked for me.