Just Wondering????

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Was offered a solo driving job today.I get 70% of what the truck grosses for the week.Plus fuel surcharge.I have to pay fuel and tolls.
He covers everytjing else,maintence etc.etc.Does this sound like a good deal to anyone out there.
Am not used to working on a percentage basis.Was always paid by the mile.Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
Whitewolf53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess my first question would be, "70 percent of what?"
That could make a large difference. References and how many miles a week would be my next considerations.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Davekc.It is 70% of what the truck grosses for the week.Thanks for all the input,guess i will take the job.Drive safely and see y'all out there.
Mike
Whitewolf53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
WW:

Dave's referal to 70% of what was related, not as much to gross, but how is the gross calculated. You indicated you weren't used to percentage, so we would assume percentage meaning 70% of gross. Some companies pay percentage of the customers tariff, such as FedEx Custom Critical's 58% plus fsc to the truck. In that case, 70% plus fsc is better than average. Panther, for example, pays an advertised flat rate per mile plus fsc. In their case, 70% plus fsc is also better than average.

If your owner is leased to a carrier with less than average run activity, 70% of cut-rate tariffs, plus lots of deadhead to the next load, is not a very good deal.

We suspect you've been around long enough to have chosen wisely and we wish you well on this next chapter of your career.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Terry is correct. 70 percent of a gross figure could mean quite a few things.
Just on a flat rate, 70 percent of a 1.05 rate is 73.5 cents
That same number based on a 1.30 rate is .91 cents.
Big difference. Same issues apply if the gross is calculated on a percentage of the load.
That is what I was refering to.
In the above case, only 60 percent of 1.30 rate is better than the 70 percent of the 1.05.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

truckerb1968

Seasoned Expediter
Remember, seventy-percent of nothing is still nothing. I have done both percentage and mileage and prefer mileage. In this day and age I would NEVER pay the fuel for an owner operator. If he won't pay you mileage, then take twenty-five percent of what the load pays and make the owner pay the fuel and tolls.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Interestingly there truckerb, if a fella d put a couple three loads on you you'd whine bout the mileage pay too. Right?? I can hear the phone ring now. It's always an interesting discussion when they get a second or third, when they demand milage pay. I love it!! The foolishness of it all.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
trucker, if he gets 70% plus fsc,thats much more than 25% after he pays the fuel bill.if hes in a tractor,with fuel mileage of at least 6mpg,if fuel is $2.82/gal,hes paying 27cents per mile for fuel,if he does a cheap broker load with no fsc that just pays a buck a mile,hes still making 43 cpm,so whats wrong with that