Just out of high school

quadman

Expert Expediter
Anyone out there know of any companies that hire young drivers to haul freight i have already talked to a couple big companies like Try Hours and Tri State and you have to be at least 23 to work for either of these companies because of insurance purposes. I grew up in this line of work teaming with my father who is a owner opperater but his company wont sign me on because im too young so if any of you fellow expediters out there could give me some hints or clues of how to get in the field please help "Thank's Brandon"

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Brandon,

If it were me I would check around to some local delivery companys (lumber, office supplies..etc) The big companies cannot hire you right now because federal law requires that you must be over the age of 21 to do interstate trucking (trucking outside your home state) And the big companies need someone who can drive anywhere. That is where I think the local would be best right now. You would learn and hone your basic driving skills. And could make some money until you turn 21.

I think the best suggestion for you is to take the next couple years and join the army. You can become a truck driver in the army now and basicly learn everything you will need. And when you are discharged you will have money for college. Then you can attend a truck driving school if you wish and be hired anywhere. I read an article in last months Road King magazine. Sounds like a great way to drive, They have air conditioned Freightliners now with automatic transmissions!

Hope it helps Brandon

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am in 100% agreement with Wild Bill.Join the service ,get your driving skills and experience while you get paid for it and when you are discharged ,the companies will be lining up at your door.You also get to broaden your horizons and the pay is not too bad these days.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A local delivery driving job is a definite help to start, regardless of age. It would be a good way to pacify a few years (If you are not the military type), and some local places actually don't pay too bad. When I left my 9-5 job as a printing press mechanic, I drove a straight truck locally for 8 months in Buffalo for $10 an hour. It's what actually caught my interest in expediting. I'm just glad I don't have to make 35 stops a day anymore! It gets one used to shipping and receving people the fast way.
-Weave-

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Hey wild bill, whats this about air conditioning? LOL, I just got discharged from the reserve and don't remember a/c, unless you count rolling down windows. But it is good advice, even if he doesn't want to go active, an 8 week basic and 5 week drivers course with the whole weekend a month and 2 weeks a year thing isn't a bad deal. Plus, a unit like that, close to home gives some great networking opportunities.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Lol it was in the last issue of Roadking magazine. I imagine someday they will filter down to the reveres and guard too.