Just Curious....

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I seem to remember that UPS was getting an expedite division going a while back.
Did they ever get it off the ground?

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not really except for some short dedicated runs. I think they decided they couldn't do it as well as the Cat.
They do have some nice loads every so often.

juliewray60

Not a Member
Seen inside the link:

"Surface - Exclusive use, non-stop, door-to-door ground transportation throughout the U.S., and into Canada and Mexico"

Exclusive to Mexico ? As in direct from Detroit to Guadalajara ? Same truck same driver ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They currently have a handful of their own trucks, but Ark is correct. Most of their expedite is done by Panther and a few others. They offer the service to their customers, but little expedite is actually moved on their own trucks.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've done quite a bit of UPS stuff, but all of it brokered from Panther. They have some decent runs occasionally.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In our FedEx Custom Critical truck, we have done a few reefer loads that picked up or delivered at UPS facilities; just as other carriers have sometimes hauled FCC freight. Sometimes, availability is all that matters.

From reading annual reports of publicly-held large trucking companies a trend seems to be afoot. Many of them are talking about new freight brokerage divisions they have started up and how they are a new and significant revenue source to the parent company. This could be a good thing for expediters as the larger companies are not adding expedite trucks to their fleet but are adding expedite services in an attempt to keep existing customers in house and attract new customers. As I see it, the more people we have out there selling expedite services without putting trucks on to actually provide the services, the better it is for expediters who have the trucks.

UPS has few if any dedicated expedite trucks in its fleet but sells surface expedite services. Sometimes, that means UPS freight goes on our truck. As long as the price is right, I'm not going to complain about what Brown does for me. :)