Just acquired a well-loved 02 Sprinter; ISO genera

Brainstormers

Expert Expediter
Greetings, All!

We're not expediters, actually. We're a touring educational theatre company that services public schools in the Midwest. Traditionally we've run E-series cargo vans, converted to high-tops and 4-passenger seating with cargo behind a bulkhead. I've been lusting for a Sprinter ever since I first saw them, but haven't been able to stomach the asking prices until just recently, when an 02 2500 158" with 277K miles on it became available for a decent price.

The body's mint, the engine seems to run happily, and I have a print-out of everything done on the van from the very fastidious exediter who owned it. If I may, I'd like to ask some idiot-level questions of those of you with Sprinters of this vintage:

1) What immediately comes to mind re potential weaknesses/repair issues when you hear of a unit with 277K miles, or any quirks in the 02's that I should know about? What should I have checked out and/or proactively swapped out? Time for a valve adjustment? Timing chain/belt?
2) It has a brand-new EGR, and according to the records it's the third one; I assume this is a function of the "can't idle much" issue. Is it true that one cannot idle even a few minutes every now and then without doing serious damage to the EGR?
3) A question to anybody running these vehicles in the cold latitudes (I'm in Michigan): how important is having an engine block heater in the dead of winter? The van doesn't have one, and the previous owner said that after swapping out the crappy OEM battery he has no trouble starting his Sprinters every morning, but they run their vans nearly 7 days a week; my usage would be more a Monday to Friday thing...am I asking for trouble after two days of sitting in near-zero temps without a block heater? Would you recommend any fuel additives for the wintertime?
4) How many of you with 02 Sprinters experience the "rumble strip" tranny noise problem?
5) What brand/wt/visc. oil do you like best for engine longevity's sake? Is synthetic worth the extra money?
6) I'm intending to put in a folding ramp on the tail end; I dont' need it to handle any more than about 600 lbs. max at any given time; what's the cheapest light-duty ramp available that you know of?

Thanks in advance for any collective wisdom!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: Just acquired a well-loved 02 Sprinter; ISO ge

i have had different diesels for 20 years now and i would recommend a block heater. plug it in sunday night and you will never have any problems starting it. Oh yea, don't forget to unplug it Monday morning before you drive away.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have a Powerstroke and I never used my block heater until last winter when my glow plugs began to go away. It would sometimes sit 2 or 3 days in the Alpena, Mi. cold and fire up no problem. Now, I need about 45 minutes of block heater to get going. I'm getting new glow plugs next Friday. It would'nt be a bad idea to have one for peace of mind.

Brainstormers

Expert Expediter

Thanks for the block heater thumbs-up, gents. I'll look into one. Any recommendations for brands/models?

Anybody have any comments on my other concerns?

Happy Sprinting,

Geoff

Tony

Expert Expediter

>4) How many of you with 02 Sprinters experience the "rumble
>strip" tranny noise problem?
Uh, to me any "rumble strip noise" from the trans. is a problem but I do not own or drive a Sprinter. I for one would like to hear a lot more from others on this item.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I don't own a Sprinter, but that is not a problem that has been reported here on EO from other owners.
I would get it checked out as it could be a major or minor concern.
Even if it is minor, continuing to drive with it in that condition could be making it worse.

Davekc

klippencott

Expert Expediter

My 04 Sprinter (23K mi) has the "rumble strip noise" sometimes between 3rd and 4th and other times between 4th and 5th on the up-shift. When slowing down I hear it between 4th to 3rd every time.

KLippencott

Gener8

Expert Expediter

That rumble strip noise is often related to the torque converter. GET IT CHECKED IMMEDIATELY!!!
Waiting can only make it worse
Now go and get it checked and have a good Christmas Season
:)

vipra

Expert Expediter

I can give a little advice.... I don't know much about the EGR valve, but if you plan to sleep in it overnight in the cold and don't want to idle it, you can get a heater installed that draws diesel from the tank and power from an auxilliary battery so you can have heat inside without idling. (You'll also need to put insulation on the ceiling and in the walls behind the plastic panneling.) More info at www.espar.com They also make block heaters that draw power off your auxilliary battery so you don't have to plug into a wall outlet. You can get them installed at Espar of Michigan in Romulus, MI call Ray at 800-837-3900. If a block heater is too expensive, just put in a new battery every November and that should get you through the winter.
Since it's your first Sprinter here are a couple websites that have handy accessories:
www.sprinteraccessories.com and www.sprintervanequipment.com

Synthetic oil is worth the extra money, and it's recommended by Mercedes for the Sprinter engine. Everyone I've talked to says you should use only synthetic, and never use regular oil.

Vipra