Judging height

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
So im wondering how you straight truck guys and gals ( and tt drivers, for that matter ) are able to judge the height of low hanging objects like power lines or unmarked bridges. I do a lot of local deliveries to factories for my job, so im in industrial and rural areas a lot, and ill watch semis go under these low power lines with what cant be any more than a few inches of clearance. That's one of the things that worries me the most about driving a straight. Judging height that accurately.

Reactions: Lawrence

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Power lines and service lines must be at a min. height. Now some lines like on personal property do not have set height requirements.

Reactions: Lawrence

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are several ways of judging those things.
Trees overhanging the road: You can see a " cut out" where previous trucks went under. Also keep in mind, when it rains, snows or ices, those trees you went under before, will hang a little lower. If you see limbs that are skinned of their bark, it could be too low or was hit during bad weather.
Also, watch your mirrors on trees too close to the road.
Power lines are "supposed" to be at minimum height
Bridges "should" be posted.
Don't even think of using the drive thru for lunch.:eek:

Reactions: blackpup

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So im wondering how you straight truck guys and gals ( and tt drivers, for that matter ) are able to judge the height of low hanging objects like power lines or unmarked bridges. I do a lot of local deliveries to factories for my job, so im in industrial and rural areas a lot, and ill watch semis go under these low power lines with what cant be any more than a few inches of clearance. That's one of the things that worries me the most about driving a straight. Judging height that accurately.
I myself I use the poke and hope system lol

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Thanks for the replies. I figured there was a minimum height for power lines, but some of those things sag so low I wasn't sure.

As far as bridges being marked, I guess some guys just aren't paying attention because I was watching some youtube videos of guys in tts and straights just plowing right through theses low bridges and getting their tops ripped off. One video I saw ended up with fruit smashed all over the road.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I treat all overpass as low get out and look
I have gone into a old gas station in nc when I started with Roberts express had to let air out of tires to get out from under over hang.
didn't get a ticket for it was mark all truck this pump, owner of gas station was trying make money off drivers for hit his covered area

also good reason to have air bags to lower the truck
watch out for old parts of Boston , ma, old parts of pa, New York city, and many other places as they were not made for 12'6" let lone 13' or more
if you go into old parts of any city and they give how to get in there place mark sure follow the dirt they give to letter
also remember you set different when loaded or empty

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was on the road I would set my CB antenna slightly higher than my height. When slowly approaching a low clearance the antenna would hit first. This method didn't work so well when backing into inside docks where the door didn't open completely or with snow/ice buildup on the ground.

When I did city P&D if it wasn't a bridge or a building I just took it down. Oops!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
So im wondering how you straight truck guys and gals ( and tt drivers, for that matter ) are able to judge the height of low hanging objects

Forget about it, especially if you play ingress and roll up on a portal @ 40 plus mph. Your going to get tree damage. :eek:

Attachments

• 1454160762328.jpg
    1454160762328.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There's no escaping it when I do outdoor shows in the Summer my box is 12 years old and black metallic , it has lots of tree rash.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
As I am approaching in overhead obstruction approximately 500 yards prior, I break out my range and distance finder, it measures the length of the shadow that the overhang is showing, then reverse engineers those numbers into the height of the object, it does it automatically

tknight

Veteran Expediter
As I am approaching in overhead obstruction approximately 500 yards prior, I break out my range and distance finder, it measures the length of the shadow that the overhang is showing, then reverse engineers those numbers into the height of the object, it does it automatically
An I'm sure you do this all while driving ?
Nice try night shadows rain shadows oh wait your measuring the rainbow hahah good one

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Im not too concerned about tree branches, more so taking out a power line or or ripping the top of the truck off a bridge that is an inch or 2 to short.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching

I cant tell if youre being serious, lol. Do they actually make something like that?