It's Time To Be Reliable.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As you can see this is not the time to get finiky about where the freight takes you and what the rate per mile pays (within reason)! I do understand that it takes a considerable amount of money to operate a straight truck and a tractor trailer. But you guys have the option of chasing down your own freight, whether they be LTL loads, or loads brokered on the load boards at the truck stops. You guys in the bigger trucks can afford to take loads into dead areas simply because you have more resources available to you to find backhauls. But the guys in cargo vans do not have the same resources available to them to be able to find backhauls. Yet cargo vans are cheaper to operate and deadheading out of a bad area into a profitable area is not as expensive to do in a cargo van. So there are positives and negatives with each one of the different vehicle sizes that we choose to operate.

Now, we have to look at this situation in a very critical manner. Times are much different this year from that of years in the past. The sheer volume of companies competing for a shrinking pool of freight means that we are now operating our businesses in a shippers market. Something as insignificant as a late pick-up, a bid that has to be turned back over to NLM, a dirty truck, a poor attitude at the shipper, or a customer not being able to get a "mini" covered despite the fact that Panther has trucks in the area. Remember, these shippers can log onto the Panther website and check to see how many available trucks there are in the area! Simple things like this can cause a shipper to give their business to another carrier (and we all know that there are many carriers who will gladly take that business away from us if given the opportunity).

This is not the time to turn freight down. I'm not telling anyone to go bankrupt accpepting loads, but to turn down a load because it is paying 50 dollars less than you would have made under your contracted rate is just dumb. Refusing to take a load into a so called dead area is also a bad idea. Remember, there is always someone willing to take that load. We also have to take into account that our companies are thinning down their own profit margians in order to keep us alive out here. My friend at Panther just took a load that paid his truck 85 cents a mile and the shipper showed him the winning bid "guess what winning bid was...85 cents per mile!"

Also, one of the companies I worked at and will be returning to work at has taken a 10-15% pay cut across the board to their bottom line. The office (owners included) have taken a pay cut in order to be able to bid lower on runs and hold onto their most valuable asset; their owner operators. There is no conspiracy, your company is not waiting for higher paying loads while you rot away in a parkig lot. But your company is not going to go all out in a bidding war, take a hit to their bottom line, and do whatever it takes to keep your wheels turning, if you are just going to refues the load and make a "mockery" of their efforts.

I have worked with a few different companies and I can count on my two hands the number of loads that i've turned down in the past 3 years. I have found that being dependable is the best thing you can be to a carrier. If a carrier can call you up at 2 in the morning and get you rolling on a 400 mile run without hesitation; who do you think they will call? I have been called at 1 in th emorning, merely hours after I have laid down, and been in the truck "cup of coffee in the cup holder" rolling towards pickup by 1:15 AM.

I am always up for making money, because money is what I got into this business to make. Do I like waking up out of a dead sleep to head to a shipper; not particularly. But then again, I love to make 300 bucks for 7 hours worth of work. The poor schlep at McDonalds doesn't even barely make that much money for a weeks worth of burger flipping. I will give you one more examply of what the word dependable means. When I was at Express 1, I was offered a 350 mile load out of Tustin California. This particular load was turned down by the team they had sitting in Ontario. I was sitting at home and ready to go no matter what they sent me. Well, I ended up taking the load to Phoenix and guess what? It was not 2 hours after I dropped that load that I had a load picking up in Nogalas AZ goint all the way back to Detroit MI. I guess the team who refused that load because "it wasn't a team run" had to wait in Ontario for another week! So, keep this one word in mind when you are operating your business "reliable" and you will do just fine out there.

As I stated in the first paragraph, bigger trucks have more versatility to take loads into bad areas, cargo vans have lower overhead and can afford to deadhead out of bad areas, and everyone can make money for themselves and their carriers by keeping up their acceptance ratings. As for the holiday traveler "your days are numbered" this job is for people who are willing to do whatever it takes to service the customer. Expediting is not a job; it is a lifestye. We all chose to get into this business. It doesn't matter why. The only thing that matters is that we are here now and we must contend with the situation that we are in. We must do whatever it takes to keep moving and to get our carriers name and reputation out there as being the best. We have to make our companies dependable again. This can only be done by serious drivers; the drivers who can perform their jobs to the highest level of performance that this industry demands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Blizzard is right people. In this climate more than any other time a fast nickel beats a slow dime hands down. I would rather spend 5 hours driving to clear $100 than sit in the parking lot a spend money. Too many people are losing everything right now and I dont plan on becoming one of them over the loss of a few cents per mile. Do you? Think long and hard about how much you REALLY need to make a profit. Those who do will still be here next year. Those who dont......... Just a thought

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Premium service for minimum pay.

?

Moose.

I don't think that is what he was saying....
But the $3.00 a mile days are behind us...

If you are a plain surface truck..you are NOT premium by to-days standards anymore...TVal and WG would be....

A surface same-day--- next day expedite is now an express LTL.....new rules out there for now....in a shippers market.

These days you may have to drive a load as long as it covers the bills....to survive to live another day.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Good post except this: '' The poor schlep at McDonald's doesn't even barely make that much money for a weeks worth of burger flipping. "" I don't think hat our competitor is McDonald's.We can NOT compare us wits some old la dyes ,with 17 year old kids,with Latino emigrants etc. We have investments in this industry,we out of our family 2-3 weeks.We sleep in parking lots in cold weather,we operate expensive equipment .Some of us risk their house to buy a truck.Etc. etc. In rest you OK.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Good post except this: '' The poor schlep at McDonald's doesn't even barely make that much money for a weeks worth of burger flipping. "" I don't think hat our competitor is McDonald's.We can NOT compare us wits some old la dyes ,with 17 year old kids,with Latino emigrants etc. We have investments in this industry,we out of our family 2-3 weeks.We sleep in parking lots in cold weather,we operate expensive equipment .Some of us risk their house to buy a truck.Etc. etc. In rest you OK.

Well now, being on the road extensively, sleeping (in your expensive) equipment in cold weather is not what I call any kind of sacrafice, It comes with the package. If those issues cause you to think "premium" then......

Whom held a gun to your head that caused you to spend "high dollah" for equipment?? And, if anyone jeopardized their roof to purchase rolling stock???? There ain't no words for that!!!!

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Well now, being on the road extensively, sleeping (in your expensive) equipment in cold weather is not what I call any kind of sacrafice, It comes with the package. If those issues cause you to think "premium" then......

Whom held a gun to your head that caused you to spend "high dollah" for equipment?? And, if anyone jeopardized their roof to purchase rolling stock???? There ain't no words for that!!!!

One more time you did not understand my point (what can I do?)...The point is that you can NOT compare us with the people who works at Mcdonalds.You never understand the point ,please read twice before you answer.Good luck!

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
so so true :eek: move it or move over people with a good service will be around to pick up the good loads in the end.
this team run on reputation of the team from the carrier, owner, and yes us the drivers
if you cant handle it mover over lets others in that will

just my 100 cent ;)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, people who work in regular jobs have to wake up every day at the same time and fight traffic amongst other things to earn their pay. We can earn in two days what some people earn in two weeks. That's not to say that there aren't expenses involved in operating a truck, but this job sure beats the mondane. Just be thankful for what you have and for the fact that you don't have to be "out and about" in the workforce competing with 40 thousand applicants to fill one new tech job! I kid you not. My friend went to fill out an application in Atlanta for a medical job and there were 40k applicants for one job. So, we have to make expedite work for us in this current economic climate.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Well, people who work in regular jobs have to wake up every day at the same time and fight traffic amongst other things to earn their pay. We can earn in two days what some people earn in two weeks. That's not to say that there aren't expenses involved in operating a truck, but this job sure beats the mondane. Just be thankful for what you have and for the fact that you don't have to be "out and about" in the workforce competing with 40 thousand applicants to fill one new tech job! I kid you not. My friend went to fill out an application in Atlanta for a medical job and there were 40k applicants for one job. So, we have to make expedite work for us in this current economic climate.
So suddenly having an expediter driver position turn into a dream :)) . Waking up every day and going to job is so difficult?(joke of the day).How about driving midnight in middle of nowhere?Using dirty restrooms. Eating junk food. etc. Sleeping in gas stations like homeless people. etc Some people form here just want to paint their hard life into a beautiful image.Why we just not see the reality? I don't think that any normal person who has a college degree or who is qualify in something would choose this business.Except lazy people of course...:)

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
So suddenly having an expediter driver position turn into a dream :)) . Waking up every day and going to job is so difficult?(joke of the day).How about driving midnight in middle of nowhere?Using dirty restrooms. Eating junk food. etc. Sleeping in gas stations like homeless people. etc Some people form here just want to paint their hard life into a beautiful image.Why we just not see the reality? I don't think that any normal person who has a college degree or who is qualify in something would choose this business.Except lazy people of course...:)

Excuse me, are you saying that anyone who does this job isn't "normal" and they are lazy? My husband and I CHOSE this profession, and both of us are more than qualified for other types of work, and I can guarantee you that we are NOT lazy!

Lets examine your other points.
1. driving midnight in the middle of nowhere - I happen to enjoy driving the midnight shift. There is a lot less traffic and stress and is really quite peaceful.

2. using dirty restrooms - Not all restrooms are dirty, and those that are, are used quickly for the intended purpose and then we continue on our way.

3. eating junk food - That is a choice that everyone has, not just truck drivers. The choice to eat healthy is also available and we eat healthy every day by preparing our own meals.

4. sleeping in gas stations like homeless people - No, I do not sleep in a gas station. I sleep in my truck sleeper, which is very comfortable and clean and modern. I am not a "homeless person". My sleeper is my home-away-from-home.

As for this being a "hard life", that is a matter of opinion. We do not consider it a hard life, it is a lifestyle that we CHOOSE and that we have adapted to and enjoy very much. I would much rather do this than have to punch a clock every day and deal with the rat-race of an employer/employee relationship. This business isn't for everyone though, and if it's not for you that's fine. That means one less driver out here competing for freight, but don't try to demean what I do in such a derogatory way.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Excuse me, are you saying that anyone who does this job isn't "normal" and they are lazy? My husband and I CHOSE this profession, and both of us are more than qualified for other types of work, and I can guarantee you that we are NOT lazy!

Lets examine your other points.
1. driving midnight in the middle of nowhere - I happen to enjoy driving the midnight shift. There is a lot less traffic and stress and is really quite peaceful.

2. using dirty restrooms - Not all restrooms are dirty, and those that are, are used quickly for the intended purpose and then we continue on our way.

3. eating junk food - That is a choice that everyone has, not just truck drivers. The choice to eat healthy is also available and we eat healthy every day by preparing our own meals.

4. sleeping in gas stations like homeless people - No, I do not sleep in a gas station. I sleep in my truck sleeper, which is very comfortable and clean and modern. I am not a "homeless person". My sleeper is my home-away-from-home.

As for this being a "hard life", that is a matter of opinion. We do not consider it a hard life, it is a lifestyle that we CHOOSE and that we have adapted to and enjoy very much. I would much rather do this than have to punch a clock every day and deal with the rat-race of an employer/employee relationship. This business isn't for everyone though, and if it's not for you that's fine. That means one less driver out here competing for freight, but don't try to demean what I do in such a derogatory way.
I;m sorry if I upset you. But that was my answer to the person who said that waking up and going to job each morning is a hard thing...The problem is that we can not compare two different jobs, two different life style.Each side has good and bad parts.I think that everithing started from the McDonalds remark.We try to compare orenges with....you know.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nadal you got me on that one to!!

As far as I am concerned getting up and going to a job everyday was hard. All anyone could think about was 5:00 or when will the weekend be here....

Now who cares when the weekend gets here and who cares when 5:00 gets here. I know this gets old but it is a lifestyle and we no longer long for a time of day or the weekend.

I do wish we were longing more often then we have been for a break in running so many loads.

We though have found ways to enjoy our down time and time when we are on the road. We make a lot more money while the wheels are turning but when we are sitting we do not go crazy.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
You have to take the McDonalds remark in the context that it was presented. It was a comparison of money made on one load in comparison with a week's worth of work at McDonalds, which is a valid comparison.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
You have to take the McDonalds remark in the context that it was presented. It was a comparison of money made on one load in comparison with a week's worth of work at McDonalds, which is a valid comparison.

Exactly! That was my point.Why we compare our self with a Young kid from McDonald's? Why we not compare wit a doctor, or an engineer,or an architect,or lawyer etc? Why we set the standard so low? Next time we will say ''man, I make more money then a driver from Zimbabwe...''' So now you still think that McDO is a valid comparison?

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Exactly! That was my point.Why we compare our self with a Young kid from McDonald's? Why we not compare wit a doctor, or an engineer,or an architect,or lawyer etc? Why we set the standard so low? Next time we will say ''man, I make more money then a driver from Zimbabwe...''' So now you still think that McDO is a valid comparison?

Yes I do, in the context that it was presented. He was not saying that the type of work that we do has such a low standard that we have to compare it to a MickeyD's job. It was just an example of money made on a load compared with a weeks worth of flipping burgers. That's it, just an "off the top of the head" example.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Exactly! That was my point.Why we compare our self with a Young kid from McDonald's? Why we not compare wit a doctor, or an engineer,or an architect,or lawyer etc? Why we set the standard so low?

Because a doctor would never live inside a cargo van.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
So suddenly having an expediter driver position turn into a dream :))

Maybe to some people it is a dream job come true. Maybe expediting is a far better thing to do than what ever choices they had in the past.

Waking up every day and going to job is so difficult?(joke of the day).

To some people, maybe it is. If that person haves a job he/she hates, that getting up and getting the motivation to go to work gets more and more difficult.

How about driving midnight in middle of nowhere?

I guess that persons needs to find another job more suitable to them to where they don't have to do that.

Using dirty restrooms. Eating junk food. etc. Sleeping in gas stations like homeless people. etc

Well, this would be something everybody has to deal with, some places are better than others, but its what truckers dealt with for many years, probably not going to change much. I suggest who ever drives for a living doesn't like it, find a different job.

Some people form here just want to paint their hard life into a beautiful image.

No, people here that like what they are doing don't paint into a beautiful image, they adjust. Do what is needed, change their way of lifestyle to where they can be happier with the situation. The key word is adapt to the situation. If they can not do that, again this is the wrong job for them.

Why we just not see the reality?

The reality of it is this, some of us when we started doing this probably didn't know what to expect, some probably did. Nobody is forcing people to keep doing what we are doing. We keeping doing it because we either like it or its a temporary solution for them.

I don't think that any normal person who has a college degree or who is qualify in something would choose this business. Except lazy people of course...:)

Wow. I'm personally offended by the ending statement. I've been in the computer and networking field since the military which has been since 1999. Been on the internet way before you people even knew what it was or what the main purpose of it was for. I decided to get out and try something different. I probably put more hours in then you worked your entire life. So, again, people trying to lump people into one again.

My theory for you saying all this. You probably are doing this type of job because you have no other choice at the moment, again that is my theory. Say this, because say so many bad things about the life style of being out on the road. Yes, there are a lot of things I would love to change out here, but I adapt, by adapting I enjoy myself with what I do. My suggestion is look for something better if your unhappy with your situation, there is always something better. Even if it means moving to a different location.