Canada It's expensive in Canada

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone has to pay for that free HC!
Welcome to the "SIN" taxes...booze, smokes, and junk food...everything you can do without but if you buy them you will pay big time ! So much for free trade on them tires eh?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Taxes are why so many Canadians come down to Michigan on 'fishing trips'. Then they go to Gander Mountain, Cabela's or Bass Pro and buy electronics, like sonars, chart plotters etc, have them installed, then 'sneak' back across the border without declaring their new 'toys' to avoid paying the taxes. Since their boats were not inspected for these items prior to leaving and since they tend to be normal on boats, they get away with it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Books were the worst one to me but I like them and you can't have too many of them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I haven't seen them in Detroit, but out west, like in Washington, and I'm sure other places, they have what amounts to a milk-only convenience store just inside the border in the US, where Canadians come to buy milk. The Canadian milk producers are not happy. :D

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
Try getting repairs to your Cargo Van in Canada. Go a transmission rebuilt thank goodness it was under warranty but a water pump installed will set u back almost 700$ and front barrings will cost almost 500$ installed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try getting repairs to your Cargo Van in Canada. Go a transmission rebuilt thank goodness it was under warranty but a water pump installed will set u back almost 700$ and front barrings will cost almost 500$ installed.

Where the heck you go for them repairs? Sounds like the rip off artists I got in the US when I was a Canadian

moose

Veteran Expediter
Don't know about repairs, i had one emergency repair done in Winnipeg last week and it was cheaper then what i would pay in Minnesota.
having said that, the cost of living in Canada, especially going west is greater then the us. in the trucking industry we say Canaian loads pay Canadian price, which meant, the supply & demands determined the rates, but since we, Ameriquaks compete for the freight with Cannuqe truckers, we can keep more money of the load pay.
yes that's even when currency exchange rates are not in our favor.
that's why my rig is specially designed to haul Canadian freight. all nice and dundy, till there more trucks then freight, which was the case for the last few months. i now only go there if the load pay well for my time and fuel to D/H back all the way to the tween city's. which was the case the last 3 runs into Saskatoon.
{this is NOT carrier specific, published industry records confirmed that.}