Items that could improve Fuel Mileage

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All you have to do is take a close look at the rear doors of a trailer that has Airtabs and you'll know immediately that drag is dramatically reduced with those things. The rear doors stay far cleaner than on trailers without them.

Follow behind one with Airtabs on a wet road and you'll notice a marked decrease in road spray on your windshield, as well. With Airtabs, not only does the spray stay down and off the windshields of those behind you, it stays down and out of the view of your mirrors, enabling you to see better back there.

Airtabs are basic aerodynamics, all about reducing resistance. They reduce the lower atmospheric pressure (drag) behind a moving object. A moving vehicle creates a pocket of lower air pressure, and the surrounding higher pressures will want to move into there to equalize the pressures. The vehicle is inside the higher pressure "zone" and therefor gets sucked back into the lower pressure pocket, so the lower pressure zone wants to "drag" the vehicle back into that low pressure. Airtabs disrupt the airflow that causes the low pressure, eliminating a large chunk of the drag.

Airtabs and properly inflated tires (nitrogen) are two of the most cost effective things you can do to reduce resistance, which reduces the load on the engine, which results in lower fuel consumption.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have entered my van in an X-Treme Fuel Mileage Contest. The winner of the contest will have demonstrated the most improved m.p.g. in real world driving. I am confident I can win this contest because of the modifications I have made to my van and my driving habits. Also being the only entrant in the contest should tilt the odds in my favor.

Van Modifications:

Aerodynamics:

- addition of a Cessna 172 nose shroud to front of van for improved air flow.
- relocating Q.C. from roof to cab floor, passenger side.
- removal of exterior mirrors.
- removal of bug deflector.

Weight Reduction:

- Removal of passenger seat, auxiliary batteries, chicken lights, spare tire and jack, 2-12 volt coolers, e-track, straps, flooring, tool kit, valve stem covers, wheel covers, chair, hammock, laptop, books, and secret spare key holder.

- I replaced my bed with a hemp mat. Not only is the hemp mat light weight and organic, but it has also improved my sleeping. Although I do have reoccurring silly giggly dreams and wake up very hungry.

- I have reduced my on the road clothing to two complete sets. Each set includes a hemp T-shirt and hemp underwear. Being organic; hemp underwear can be worn for several days. All hemp clothing is embedded with hemp seeds. When the useful life of hemp clothing has been reached simply dig a “cathole”, bury and water. How sustainable and renewable is that! Or if you don’t have a shovel, you can always smoke it.

- I drilled a series of holes in my brake rotors and frame further reducing weight. Besides the holes make my van look really cool.

- Sawed 2 inches off the handle of my toothbrush.

- Air in tires has been replace with helium.

- All bottle water and other beverages have been eliminated. By drinking less I stop less for bathroom breaks, thus saving fuel. I don’t even carry a coffee cup. If I feel the need for a caffeine boost, I place a tea bag between my gum and lip. On hot days for extra refreshment I will place an ice cube in the other cheek. Instant iced tea.

- The only food I carry is Slim Fast Powder Formula. Since I have no water, I eat this dry.

Behavior Modifications:

Load Selection:

- I refuse all loads that weigh over 800 pounds. I also refuse all loads that go in the opposite direction of the prevailing winds and that take me into a major urban area during rush hour.

- I try to keep my speed under 50 m.p.h.

I was inspired to undertake this challenge after reading Jesse Ventura’s latest book in his “I Ain’t Got Time to…” series; I Ain’t Got Time To Pee; 2008; Hardcore, Race and Janos.

Good luck to everyone in their pursuit to increase their fuel mileage.

Reactions: 1 person

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Turbo 3,000 one heck of a Advertising Budget. My MPG dropped and big time, (break in) whats this? Heck there is some guy bragging how is MPG improved .08 right after an install and mine went down that much? Do not get it?

Winter fuel? It was late October, but .08 down when he is bragging up?

I do believe there is a break in, period. I would like to hope this device is now improved my mpg by 02 or a little better. Slowing down and keeping CONSTANT RECORDS of MPG is MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU MAY REALIZE.l I track every fuel up, mpg, miles traveled, weather, and highway conditions, X-way flat, back road hilly, or WV vs OH but every fuel up the mpg is listed imm. Now for the month just take starting hub, ending hub, subtract, and gallons purchased for the entire month. Its more fun though when one gets that one time at close to 9, cause when its Lousey 7.0 than you can toss it into the month and pretend it did not happen right? The 8.8 does not leave your happy thoughts. And as if I educated you on how to calculate mpg, but you get the story.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While there was no good reason for not doing it sooner, I finally got around to ordering Airtabs for our truck.

I am always skeptical of fuel economy claims made about any aftermarket device. While a given driver may indeed see a fuel economy improvement, I wonder how much of it has to do with the device and how much with driving with a lighter foot because he or she wants to be right about the money spent for the device.

I am skeptical of fuel economy claims made about Airtabs too. I bought them because they seem highly effective in keeping the rear door clean. Last winter was a tough one. Several times we found ourselves cleaning packed snow off our roll-up door to get it open. The snow built up on the door as we drove down the road and the wind sucked it in and packed it tight onto the door, and even into the door cracks, latch and padlock keyhole. (Turtle's point is noted.) The attached photo shows a mild episode. Worse were times when a snow/spray/dirt mix was caked on.

Then when the door was open, the snow not cleaned off tended to melt and water would drop down from above onto the floor and the driver loading the freight (reefer loads, heated box). If Airtabs can prevent that, they will be well worth the price.

We keep close track of our fuel economy and plan no changes to the truck that would otherwise affect mpg in the next several months. We already drive with a light foot. With this existing baseline, we should be able to see any fuel economy improvements Airtabs make. Bonus to us if they do.

Attachments

• SnowOnDoor101.jpg
    SnowOnDoor101.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, the Airtabs are now on our truck; both sides and on the roof. We'll see how they do and share the results here. Additional info is at the manufacturer's web site.

AirTab01.jpg

AirTab02.jpg

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good job Phil...I really think you'll like them....
TeamCaffee ran with them during the winter they can enlighten you about the snow...if there was an improvement and the water spray in the rain.