Is this a reasonable price for this new truck??

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Hello professional truckers. I need some arm chair opinions from you skilled truck connoisseurs about my coming purchase of a new class 7 expedite truck.

I have negotiated with several truck dealers and the following is the best deal I have been able to put together.

New 2008 33,000 GVW truck with air suspension, auto transmission, 96 in sleeper with shower, dual bunks, generator, sat TV, 22’ cargo box with roll up door, twin 60†side boxes. Tax and title included… total price out the door - 116,000.00.

MY Question?? Do you think the above price is a reasonable price??

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Is this a reasonable price for this new truck?

What brand of truck is it and what is the engine and HP?

silverdollar

Expert Expediter

Why would you spend that kind of money on a truck that you can not even describe?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Reads like a real camping machine to me. 22ft only ten skids. Single axle?? only haul 11-12K. How many HP and automatical gears? Liftgate? etrac? What? May wanna consider trading the shower and satellite for something to produce revenue. Like... 24ft box, liftgate, tandem etc. You may like yourself better four months from now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

If it is a Hino, it is over priced. Might be better served to read past posts on these trucks. Way under powered and really have a different application than expediting.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter

Maybe ya’ll did not read the question.

There are basically only three choices for class 7 trucks out there; Freightliner, Sterling and Hino. (Before you complain, there is not enough International dealers for expedite products to be considered in the competition.) That said, is the price given reasonable or not. Comments, like if it is Hino its overpriced is of no help without validation as to your reasons. If you think it is a good value as a Freightliner or Sterling, then please state a reason.

You’re are the experts right??

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

They did read the question and asked for info needed to give you an answer. Is there some reason you don't want to provide that info?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Lugnut:

Is this a quiz or a request for advice/opinion?

You come in with little information and a surly reponse to the follow-on questions. You could similarly describe identical features in both a Ford and a Mercedes without mentioning the brand or engine size. Would it be logical to ask an appropriate price for a 4 wheeled five passenger vehicle?

If you want reliable information or opinions, provide the requested details.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Well, maybe you did not ask the correct question. You can take the top truck mfg's and spec. them 20 different ways. Are you looking to get a detailed answer for each truck mfg., speced 20 different ways.

Thats like asking if I got a good deal when I bought the $20K car. Maybe, maybe not.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter

If you want an informed answer it is suggested you answer questions raised.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

It's a great deal, and if the truck is white....well there is none better.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Could it be a Hino from Alumibunk? It would have to have a lot more doodads.

I dunno... I see a fair amount of Internationals flooding the market. Especially since the engines in their class 7s tend to crap out before 300k.

Any way you look at it, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a 7. Give it a few more months, and you'll find a used repo with 70k on it for less than half the price.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

As others have mentioned, the brand and powertrain specs are important information. Based on the description given it's a 99 and 44/100 certainty it's a Yugo, I mean a Hino.

If the truck is going to be team operated, and presumably is or there wouldn't be a need for double bunk, you should forget class 7 and get a class 8 truck. It will give double the lifespan and perhaps more. The best value at the moment are the Sterlings from Knoxville. You won't get a built in shower but you will get enough storage to make it livable. You'll also get a chassis that's meant for this type work as well as a powertrain capable of handling it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Lugnut Kenwoth and Pete also make Class 7 trucks.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter

Sadly I am disappointed with the responses I received concerning my question.
Having monitored this forum for more than six months I should not be surprised at the mostly cynical comments. But, you would think one of you experts could step up to the plate and give an answer to the question as was posed.
Have a good day folks, not all that glitters is gold.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Lugnut Kenwoth and Pete also make Class 7 trucks.

I wonder if those were questions on his quiz?

Ask a partial question, and you will likely get a partial answer.
If you want specific info on a vehicle, search the archives.
If you want something current, then I would mention the vehicle rather than having members quess as to whether a no name truck is worth 116,000.

Your getting disappointed because you are trying to complicate the simple.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator