Is this a good idea?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I've been thinking about getting into the business. I have a job now that I've been at for over 22 yrs., I hate to just leave it without knowing if this is right for me. Would it be a good idea to get my own authority for Ohio, where I live, Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky. Then go on the load boards and get freight only when I have some time, such as vacations. This way I can keep my current job and ease into the expedite business. I have 5 weeks vacation. Would this be a do-able idea?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My 2 cents... No, it's not a "do-able idea" as you worded it.
Expedited Freight is emergency freight, it's not regular freight, it's gravy freight that's sporadic and unpredictable. Don't do it until you're ready to commit full time to it.

My 2 more cents... you've been there 22 years... stick it out another 3 years... get in 25 years. Get a bit more of a pension perhaps, then you're what? a bit more comfortable, and you've got that extra peace of mind.

Over the next 3 years you can study what you want in rigs, freight, and the area's you want to run... and gain all kinds of info.

Plus, if you wait, in March you can go to the big Ky Truck Show and get all kinds of info.

Then in the summer you go to the Expo in MI that is organized by EO (ExpeditersOnline.com) and gain even more info about the industry.

You got 22 years now, why not stick it out a bit more,
you've held on for this long.

You say you got 5 weeks of vacation time you can use... the Ky truck show is 3 days... and worth a weeks vacation time if you ask me.

The Expo is a weekend, and while I've never been to it, I've been told by many that it too is well worth the visit.

There's a few more truck shows here and there that you can attend.
But I know what you're thinkin'... You still have plenty of vacation time to use even after attending some truck shows. Take time off here and there to look at different trucks, different programs, and applications that can help you as an O/O.

Don't jump. Study and Research. You'll be glad you did.
The trucks, computer technology, and equipment that's able to be put onto trucks now is mind boggling. Research.

That's just my 2 cents worth.
BigBusBob.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Getting your own authority is too expensive to do on a part time basis . Go to hotshothauling.com and check out the How To topic for authority info . Much of the info there also can be applied to expediting or what you have in mind .

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Just so you know Bob,the expo is no longer in MI at that poor excuse for a t/s (the detroiter).It has moved to OH in the Roberts center located in Wilminton,Oh just off of I-71. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I submitted a nice response to this that's apparently floating out in space somewhere. This time it's the condensed version. With 22 years in I'd look at retirement options and what each additional year is now worth. I'd also look very seriously at the 5 weeks paid vacation, probably another 8-10 days paid holidays and 104 Saturdays/Sundays at home in your own bed after a day of doing whatever you need/want to do.

I'd say no to your own authority. That will cost you around $10k annually in costs and insurance. You can't cover that working now and then. Maybe you know somebody in trucking that would let you take a couple weeks vacation and ride along to see if you might like this or not. It could be that in less than 2 weeks you'd have a decision.

Good luck to you in whatever you do but think long and hard before leaving a 22 year endeavor.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.