is there any companies that let you use your vehicle.....

RDC

Expert Expediter
for other purposes than delivering for them? reason I ask is because my CV would be my only source of transportation and would need to use it as my own personal vehicle as well.I haven't been in exped. for quite a while now and when I was there was a satellite that used to sit on top of my truck and tracked me every where I went. Is that a thing of the past or do most companies still require that? are there any that don't?thanks

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of carriers are now using macro point, which is a hand held phone thing. If your home and don't want to be tracked leave it at home.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure its your vehicle you can use it as your personal one no problem.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If you are a contractor the MUST allow you to do so. Not doing so would be them exercising "employer control" over you. That term is not taken lightly and the Feds LOVE busting carriers that are treating their contractors as employees. The fines are stiff and the threat is huge and expensive.

That said, carriers are allowed to make some things "a condition of being a contractor for the carrier" which can be very legal.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's your truck, my friend! Just don't park in front of a strip club and you'll be fine ;)

Not Welcome in New York

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure its your vehicle you can use it as your personal one no problem.

There can be a problem if your van is leased to Panther. If you move while in service you will start your 16 hour Panther clock. This clock will not reset until the van has remained in one location for at least 5 hours. If you do move and don't want to start your clock, go OOS.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As others have alluded, when lettered, you want to represent your carrier appropriately, so you wouldn't want to use the vehicle in a manner that could damage their reputation. It's your personal vehicle, so you can use it as such, within reason. Like, you can't be home and OOS and haul freight or conduct other for-hire business with the lettering still on the truck. If tracking when you are OOS is a problem, then unplug the QC. However, do keep in mind that when you lease on with a carrier, you are literally transferring the right to possession and/or use of goods or equipment (your truck) for a term in return for consideration. Unplugging the QC for a lengthy period of time could be a breach of the contract, since they have the right to know where the QC is at all times.

Of course, if you're going to take your truck somewhere and do something really illegal, then you're better off risking the breach by unplugging it. And turning off your phone and wrapping it in tin foil. :D

RDC

Expert Expediter
thanks for all of the input everybody!!...I just want to use my CV for everyday errands and just remembered from my past experiences w/ Roberts express, that everytime I would leave my driveway that QC sent them a signal I was moving the vehicle and they wanted to know where I was headed to.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have any of that electronic tracking stuff. If I'm not actively engaged on a run, the vehicle is mine to go where I will. If the company wants to put tracking hardware on my van, we'll have to start talking about the differences between "I.C" and "Employee".

My signs are magnetic. They're on when I'm under load, stowed when I'm not.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A tracking device doesn't make you an employee. Actually paying a charge to the carrier for it even helps prove it for them.

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
If you are a contractor the MUST allow you to do so. Not doing so would be them exercising "employer control" over you. That term is not taken lightly and the Feds LOVE busting carriers that are treating their contractors as employees. The fines are stiff and the threat is huge and expensive.

That said, carriers are allowed to make some things "a condition of being a contractor for the carrier" which can be very legal.

Check with safety. I would think being OOS status and covering the decals with "not for hire" signs while on personal time would suffice for most carriers.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He drives a van he won't need not for hire signs. Never been a problem at any carrier I worked for.

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
He drives a van he won't need not for hire signs. Never been a problem at any carrier I worked for.

He gets in an accident without indicating he is not for hire in some way, could cause trouble for the carrier. Lawyers have a way of putting liability on things. The driver could deliver and go on his/her way to a store on personal business. If they get in an accident, still could fall on carriers insurance. Most carriers will make you put "not for hire" signs over the decals when coming in for orientation for that very reason.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In my short time with Panther in 2007, in a Cargo van I was told to put a sign, cardboard or other on both doors. Saying Not for hire or out of service.