Is It Slow For Everybody This Month???????

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Or am i on Bolt's S--T List???
Here it is Sept 28th almost the end of the month,
and all i have had is 5 loads.
3,327 miles for the whole month!!!!!!
This really STINKS.
Espechially after August was so good.
6,032 miles in August.
Oh well guess will just have to wait till next month,
and see what happens.
P.S. I have been on the board all month,and have not refused anything.
Mike
Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
not sure if you are on the #$%( list or not but from my point of view (independent seeing overflow loads from expedite companies) the first 3 weeks of this month were slow, this week is slammed. I'm seeing triple amount of emailed bids. I think its just the end of the month/quarter but hoping that it keeps flowing on through the end of the year. We took a big hit in available overflow loads when Panther bought out Con-way that lasted 3 weeks or so. That seems to be evening out again.

Maybe its just the age old problem of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have had companies beg me for trucks in a certain place yesterday but today when they are there I can't give them away. Its all about being in the right spot at the right time.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know what you drive or if it is solo or team, so this is probably not apples to apples. Like layoutshooter, Diane and I have had our second-best month; not only this year, but in the three years we've been hauling WG fright. And the month is not over yet.

September started slow for us as we had the truck in the shop but is finishing strong. Our last series of runs began mid-month, thirty miles from home in Minnesota:

Minnesota to Sacramento, CA
A couple short runs in and around Sacramento
Deadhead to Los Angeles for a pickup
Los Angeles to Chicago
Deadhead from Chicago to Nashua, New Hampshire for a pickup
(1,000 mile deadhead but well worth the money)
Nashua to San Francisco

At the moment, we are out of log-book hours and resting for a couple days to recharge our bodies and log books.

Every driver and dispatcher we talk to at FedEx say it is very busy at FedEx Custom Critical. When I asked the dispatcher why she offered the New Hampshire to California run to us when we were enroute to a Chicag delivery, she said we were the closest truck available. Everyone else east of Chicago was running.

That run was a pretty good one for us. It would have been a fantastic run for someone else closer to the pickup. Had she had other trucks available, it would have been an easy run to cover. But we got it because all other trucks in the fleet were busy or out of service when she was trying to cover the load.

September confirms something we came to believe before we bought our CR-unit. You can indeed earn as much money in a C-unit as you can in a D.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil is right, we have had to dead head a long way a couple of times to cover loads but is has been worth it. We have lucked out on a couple as well. One we picked up in the afternoon at the same place we delivered that morning. 0 deadhead miles, cool eh? We got a run for tomorrow that was only 35 mi from where we delivered this morning. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. Had enough time between these two runs to get laundry done, good thing too. Sure hope this keeps up through Oct. Would love to make that our best of the year. Layoutshooter

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Phil: I drive a solo D unit.Looking back now i see where 14 of my days were wasted waiting on a load.
9 Days in Ormond Beach,Fl.
Finally got a load out of there back to Detroit.
5 Days in Kansas City,Mo.
Probably would still be sitting there
but to ESCAPE from there i deadheaded over 400 miles
to Muncie,In to do a 200 miler back to Mi.
Now at home for the weekend.

Mike
Whitewolf 53

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Well i thought i was home for the weekend.
Dispatched just called,got a load out of Hamburg,Mi.
Heading to Huntsville,Al.
All is not lost.

Mike

Whitewolf 53

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Last 5 days

Angola, In to Kings Mountain, NC. 697 miles

Kings Mountain, NC to Bedford, PA 465 miles

Pittsburg, PA to Jackson, AL 972 miles - Best run to date. Delivers Monday.

Not to shabby for a cargo van driver running solo.

Maybe I'll see you in Alabama.

Drive safe my friend.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
here at orf egl is picking up running local and home every night or 90 percent of time this year have been out of town 21 nights and back home next day
sept 29 did 250 miles and back home ran out with a load and back with one most times it's one way running local is hard work sometimes than running the road

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
September was busy but not a record setter. The surprise this year was that July and August was hectic. We racked up some major miles those months which is unusual compared to prior years.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
Guess I won't be calling Mark (in Recruiting) back!

One of the things he assured me, was that dispatch worked hard to get their trucks out of slow area's. I guess their just like all the other Small to Medium sized companys, your just a dot on the map, covering an area.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry- just have to say it: might be who you are leased to...Just can't understand why people sign on with no name, newbie companies, who only want to make their own little profit for an individual owner at your expense. They have no freight outside of a small area and select few customers, and want to compete with all the big guys for the declining NLM runs...x(

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Dave- yes Sept. was a bit slow. My theory is auto was down due to all the bad news (Ford, DCX) and they made their shipments on time without needing expedites.
Give you an example: I delivered to a major metal parts supplier on Fri. nite. There was a screw-up, and the freight did not belong there. While that was being sorted out, a memo on a shipping desk went something like this:
' we can meet the requirements for (widgets) to (xyzac) by using LTL shipments this week' etc, etc.
they don't need us, when someone else does it cheaper...