Is Florida That Bad??

armin88

Expert Expediter
I live in Florida and most owners I spoke to said if I want to be out only 3-4 weeks,I would have to relocated somewhere else.So how bad is it?I'm told because I live in Florida I will only get home every 5-6 weeks and I can't see my self being out more than 25 days,one driver told me today if I team with him we will be out at least 30-40 days.I don't mind 3 weeks or 21-25 days but 30-40 days or longer,that's kinda pushing it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am sure a few make it work but as expediting goes it isn't anything to shout about. What people are telling you is probably pretty accurate.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Freight goes "into" FLA, and while there are loads out, they can and normally are "far and few inbetween".....

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I live in Florida and most owners I spoke to said if I want to be out only 3-4 weeks,I would have to relocated somewhere else.So how bad is it?I'm told because I live in Florida I will only get home every 5-6 weeks and I can't see my self being out more than 25 days,one driver told me today if I team with him we will be out at least 30-40 days.I don't mind 3 weeks or 21-25 days but 30-40 days or longer,that's kinda pushing it.

The reason they are telling you this is because it is true. The fleet owners know they can get you a load home, but then they are gonna have to deadhead you out a good part of the time to get their truck rolling again. There is an expense to that well beyond the fuel money it takes to get you into the freight lanes. I've been to Florida half dozen times or so. Ive loaded out of Florida....ONCE.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in FL. rarely get a load out-rarely get one out. So we deadhead out to get back into the freight belt-we're out 6-to 8 weeks. When we need an attitude adjustment, we put it in the wind and head for the house- on our dime, if you have a reefer you stand alittle better chance of getting out. We just know it is what it is and accept it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of it is carrier driven and what qualifications you have. If you have the bare minumum, plan to DH out or find a broker load. You will struggle if your idea is to be home every three weeks without the above mentioned. How much time are you willing to wait for a directional load to FL, followed by, how much time are you willing to wait before you get a load out?
May have a couple of weeks between the two. Better think that through a little bit.

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm considering relocating back north,but I may have found a teammate from Florida and after some hard thinking in last few days I guest if I stay here in Florida ill just get use to being out 5-6 weeks.Other guy I may team with doesn't mind staying out that long and seems there not much Panther owners from Florida.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Florida is great. If ur from the north and hate SNOW..lol. been here for few days. Working on a tan.lol just my buy a condo here. Love it

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Florida is great. If ur from the north and hate SNOW..lol. been here for few days. Working on a tan.lol just my buy a condo here. Love it

We went the other way and are in Ft. Worth. Taking a couple weeks off for medical reasons but it is much easier to get a load out of Texas. Would love to winter in Florida, but would have to DH to Atlanta to get a run. Enjoy the sun, get a tan, have a few drinks with umbrella's, then get ur but back to work. lol!
just kiddin, stay a while, we don't need any more competition out here.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i live in fl. and i always get a load out we are team w/hazmzat and in 2yrs expiditing never waited more than 2 days at home to get a load unless it was before a holiday so i just wait till after and go on the panther board all 3 trucks in are little fleet live nin fl. and we all get out the same way never more than 2 days i just make a tee time and the ph. rings at the first tee lol.:cool:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Search for loads over in the pan handle i live 50 miles from Orlando but even with deadhead i have pulled loads paying $2.15 to the truck for all miles you just cant get crap out of central FL

denny2010

Expert Expediter
We ran 4 loads in Florida. Got out from key west to atlanta. Not bad got there last friday and left Thursday night. No tan. But few beers with a old army buddy. Great time. Realtor looking for condo near beach for us. We will see.