IS ANYBODY MAKING MONEY DRIVING WITH THESE GAS PR

Venom

Expert Expediter
IS ANYBODY MAKING MONEY DRIVING WITH THESE GAS PRICES. I'M ABOUT TO HANG IT UP AND GO WORK AN HOURLY JOB. BEING PAID $1/M. GAS IS $3/G. AND RISING.
NO FSC PAID EITHER.
TRIED TO WORKOUT ALL THE NUMBERS STILL DOESN'T AMOUNT TO MUCH.

DRIVE A 6.0L CHEVY. HOLDS 31G. $93/TANK. GET 15 MILES TO THE GALLON.
THAT'S 465 MILES PER TANK. I GET A 300 MILE RUN NOW THAT'S $300
AND I RETURN HOME EMPTY 90% OF THE TIME. SO I'M PAYING FOR 600 MILES OF FUEL. $125 FOR GAS FOR THE RUN. 10 HOURS OF DRIVING AND NOT COUNTING WEAR & TEAR AND MAJOR MECHANICAL BREAKDOWNS. SO ALL THAT MONEY YOU TRY AND SAVE WILL PROBABLY GO BACK IN, IN THE FORM OF A TRANSMISSION OR ALTERNATOR REPAIR. SO HOW MUCH I'M I REALLY MAKING.

SORRY ABOUT EVERYTHING I'LL QUIT WHINING.
:(

bryan

Veteran Expediter
RE: IS ANYBODY MAKING MONEY DRIVING WITH THESE GA

I'd call that venting not whining. One good thing that could come from Katrina is a lack of fuel and gasoline.I know that sounds stupid but #1 it might force scientist to come up with a good alternative to petro based products.#2 it will effect everybody equally.#3 it will get some of these cars off the road (where are they all going all the time, rush hour in must cities last all day now)maybe they will find other ways to get to work.#4 the companies that we haul freight for are going to have a hard time getting their freight if nobody can buy fuel, this will effect carriers big and small, trains, airlines and even the ocean container industry.
Of course it could also mean the demise of our country and we will all have to learn Chinese.I wonder if Wal-Mart sells forien language books? Best of Luck to All

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

SITTING IN INDIANAPOLIS, GAS 3.19 DIESEL 2.70

PRETTY HARD TO SEE HOW EXPEDITING WILL BE LUCRATIVE UNTIL MANY ISSUES ARE ADDRESSED.

OTHER BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES MIGHT BE BETTER BETS AT THIS TIME.

JUST MY OBSERVATION

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Today I watched a Station Change the Price Sign From $2.65 To $3.09 I was 80 miles from Home And Thats where I sit.I'm going to give it a few weeks and see where this Might stop. If Prices don't come back down.I'm Done.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

dukesadog

Expert Expediter

I guess it depends on what you would call good money...I 'm not sure how you guys with vans do it but I bought an old 1984 cabover truck for 4 grand a few months ago and I run short runs...from Jacksonville Florida to Valdosta Ga...

Its usually a Hazmat load to Dupont...it pays percentage, there are 11 loads a week and it pays 370.00 per trip.( I dont run all of them)..I want to say its 120 miles 1 way but coming back empty you dont get paid on that particular account...I usually do 2 loads a day when those are available and I'm usually home every night.

No qualcomm, no beeping to death and no truck payments. They pay all my fuel taxes and I did have to buy my own base plate..of course the downside is its an old truck...the only head turning you get are the kids saying wow!....look at that funny looking old truck....but I thought about doing all that new truck buying stuff...but that new payment takes a big chunk..

So basically there are alternatives.
Dukesadog
25years driving

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Even with the d/h return that's a little over $1.50 per mile for all miles. With no truck payment that's not a bad rate considering your home time too. Congratulations on putting together a good alternative.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter

Now, off of that $300, is your gas, $125, depreciation at .16/mile for 600 miles is $96.00, insurance (at least ours) is roughly $6/day, food roughly $10...you made about $63. So, you made $6.30/hour.

This is how we went broke!! McDonald's in our area starts out at $9/hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I read it as $370 for a 240 mile trip. Using 6mpg and $3 fuel that's $120 in fuel leaving $250. Depreciating 16cpm would fully capture the original $4000 investment in 25000 miles so that's probably high. On that old a truck at that low an investment I wouldn't factor in depreciation but let's call it $20 a day leaving $230. Insurance at $10 a day leaves $230. Misc. expenses of $20 leaves $200 per run. I read it's two runs per day for $400 net. Dividing by the 14 hour limitation gives about $28.50 an hour. One run a day is going to pay about $14 an hour. Not enough to compete with Trump but certainly better than fast food.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter

Did I miss something?????

Now, I'm really confused....

Which I guess explains why we failed...

miko

Expert Expediter

I am just glad that I am not the only one.
I hear you, loud and clear, and I feel with you.
My company told me that they are working something out, not sure what, should have an answer by now.
I am looking already for an hourly job, it's easier said than done.:(
Bit good luck to you pal!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy

>I am just glad that I am not the only one.
>I hear you, loud and clear, and I feel with you.
>My company told me that they are working something out, not
>sure what, should have an answer by now.
>I am looking already for an hourly job, it's easier said
>than done.:(
>Bit good luck to you pal!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy

so glad i have a sprinter now and not a star
did a run today had 3 stops on and 62 miles at 1.60/ 100 miles at 1.60 and one more at 129 so didn't to bad

here's something to check out and see if it fit you and company
help make up for the high price of fuel and make some money and not hauling freight go to truckad.com
and or find someone who would like to pay to adv on your truck

in 1996 had one on my door and it was .20 a mile for every mile the truck rolled and add up to alot of money for 56,000 miles
and that was around 11,200

just have to find someone who would like to do and than figure out
a fair price

and if they ask where have you been show them your mileage report and what and where and how long you were there

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Some negotiated contracts prevent some carriers from charging Fuel Surcharges. Some shippers refuse to pay the surcharge, but some carriers take the freight anyway 'cause it pays them to do so. We accept loads without regard for the inclusion of the surcharge so long as the per mile revenue meets our requirements. I don't ask about the chare but we get the breakdown on weekly settlement sheets.

Most of our runs during the past month have included a 9% FSC. with 100% going to us that equates to 15.5% to the truck. One of our best runs this month had a FSC of 22.9 cents per mile. Our gasoline costs were between 2.999 and 3.099, or about $3.05 avg. Our van averages 15 MPG so we received $3.43 for every gallon consumed. We like the FSC. If we get it only half the time it would bring the effecive price of fuel to about $1.33; not great, but not bad either.

Of course, the diesel jockeys don't fare so well at 6 MPG, but the FSC for a comparably priced van load would bring the effective price of diesel to about $1.45.

I know my comments are no consolation to the van operators who are having trouble making ends meet; I'm just trying to put my experiences with the effects of the FSC in perspective.

Terry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

>I read it as $370 for a 240 mile trip. Using 6mpg and $3
>fuel that's $120 in fuel leaving $250. Depreciating 16cpm
>would fully capture the original $4000 investment in 25000
>miles so that's probably high. On that old a truck at that
>low an investment I wouldn't factor in depreciation but
>let's call it $20 a day leaving $230. Insurance at $10 a day
>leaves $230. Misc. expenses of $20 leaves $200 per run. I
>read it's two runs per day for $400 net. Dividing by the 14
>hour limitation gives about $28.50 an hour. One run a day is
>going to pay about $14 an hour. Not enough to compete with
>Trump but certainly better than fast food.
>
>Leo Bricker

Well maybe. Your numbers come out simular to what I would have figured until you stop at two issues.
The first being a 84 truck.
The second being; what is the overall maintenance cost? Our oldest truck is a 99 and is running $10,000 a year for maintenance and repairs. That $400.00 net will disappear quickly when you start throwing repairs and maintenance into the scenerio.
Running local can cut some of those costs, and doing the work yourself. Still a steep climb when it is all put together.

Davekc
owner
21 years

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Terry's philosophy really can be applied to any vehicle. While a few may disagree, knowing your cost per mile(CPM) determines whether a run is profitable or not.
Some get into trouble when they look at part of the run, and not ALL of it. Always look and know what you total miles are, including deadhead in the front and back of a run. There are of course other considerations such as location, where the run takes you, time of day and week, other trucks in the area, are you a team or single. You get the picture.

Always look at the total rate paid. As of today, we are doing well as long as the rates and FSC keep pace with the current economic climate.

Davekc
owner
21 years

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>Always look and know what you total miles
>are, including deadhead in the front and back of a run.
>There are of course other considerations such as location,
>where the run takes you, time of day and week, other trucks
>in the area, are you a team or single. You get the picture.
>
>Always look at the total rate paid. As of today, we are
>doing well as long as the rates and FSC keep pace with the
>current economic climate.
>
>Davekc
>owner
>21 years

Dave

You are saying factor in all miles, including front and back, on all loads. Are you not counting your deadhead miles twice when applying this calculation?

What I mean is: = if you calculate all miles including the deadhead to and from, are you not counting empty miles twice, if you use the back end on the one load, is it not the front end on the other load.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? Do you have 'start the mileage here' 'end the mileage here'? Where do you start your mileage count, and where do you end it when factoring this way?

Please clarify for us dummies!!!

FJK1954

Expert Expediter

I started 4 years ago with a used straight truck running solo with fedex cc. If i had not paid cash for my truck i probably would not have made it. however things changed drastically when i started running team and then went white glove.

i have a d-unit white glove with all the equipment and 90% of my runs are white glove runs with a large% of them reefer and t-val. i dont regret getting all this equipment for one minute.

Net income has increased each year and having a great year again this year.

I too do not accept ridiculous loads, must look at ALL miles as so many have said.

I too have a few issues with the co., but none that overide the big picture!!

best too all

frank

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I will try to clarify.

First I look at total miles from current location to pickup.
Then I look at the actual run miles.
Then, I look at what the milage would be after dropping freight to the next potential location.
That would give me the Total milage of that run.

Two examples;

If a load went to Detroit, the milage after drop off would be 0, as there is always freight there.

A second scenerio would be Fargo, North Dakota. Not too many loads out of this area. Milage has to be calculated from Fargo to possibly Minneapolis for the next load.
Same scenerio possibly if you deliver in northern Maine. I would likely have to go to Portland or Boston for the next load.

I hope that helps.

Davekc